Making your own grills for the 08 hood??

Jsparks

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well got the hood installed and it looks amazing...as if you all didn't know that already!! Bringing her home from the bodyshop and what pulls up next to me??...Gsxr 1k Third gear from about 75 to 115.... don't know if the guy was a wuss but I pulled on him by 2 car length!!:drive::drive::D:D

Anyways....called Jon with partsrack for the grills and he told me he couldn't help me. Bought my hood from a local guy and Jon told me he is saving his grills for his hood customers.... I understand completely; but now I will have to make my own.:(

Somebody posted a site a while back about where they bought their screen. I couldn't find it and was wondering if anybody else remembered??

Thanks

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Contact Mike at XVIPER.COM I bought two 08 hoods from him and he has the grills. DC really made these grills difficult. Each grill is different and they only come in sets of six grills, no individual grills. Retail is about $500 I think. JonB has a thread in the "Vendor special" section that gives a good description and photos.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
McMaster Carr has 1/4" x 1/2" opening diamond sheet in aluminum for about $60 for 36" x 40" of it. You would have to come up with your own scheme to fasten, and of course paint or powdercoat them after fabrication.

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I made my own grills go to customcargrills.com

You must be registered for see images
Diamond XXL FLAT Grill Mesh Sheets

Super high quality mesh!

Just like the regular XXL, but with a flattened look. Much easier to work with and gives a larger appearance.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I got 2 pieces of the flat XXL (12X48-powder coated black)-as mentioned flat is easier to work with-are now about 40$ for 2 sheets.

Not hard to make.

000_0349_edited-1.jpg

000_0365_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didnt like the shape that Hiis used even thought he did a fantastic job, I wanted a shape closer to factory and I made these.

Picture_0024.jpg

Picture_0055.jpg

I had them anidized black. I have an extra set already done if you like them, just PM me.

OP
OP
J

Jsparks

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I didnt like the shape that Hiis used even thought he did a fantastic job, I wanted a shape closer to factory and I made these.

Picture_0024.jpg

Picture_0055.jpg

I had them anidized black. I have an extra set already done if you like them, just PM me.

Thanks....but I just got back from Home Depot and found some .25in steel slotted sheet stock like Hiss'. Looks like it will work great and all for $40 bucks!!:D:D

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any more of this and there might be a sudden change in Partsrack policy towards those who've bought their hoods elsewhere..

:eater:

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well got the hood installed and it looks amazing...as if you all didn't know that already!! Bringing her home from the bodyshop and what pulls up next to me??...Gsxr 1k Third gear from about 75 to 115.... don't know if the guy was a wuss but I pulled on him by 2 car length!!:drive::drive::D:D

Thanks

I 've run with a few gsxr1000's and it's a close race......never had a clean run, but I think we could take them

dgt1031

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Hiss, do you mind making a few extra sets and selling them? I will pay $$$ and I am sure others will too. Thanks

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Picture_0024.jpg

Picture_0055.jpg

I finally got around to installing the OEM Hood Grills from Jon B today... I bought my hood from Jon B... :headbang:

My hood vents have been open since the October Hearst Castle Run :omg:

The pattern used above is very similar to the stamped pattern used just below the wipers which has the same pattern as the OEM hood vent grills.
Kind of a honey comb look.

I didn't even notice before installation that the theme was carried thru from one part to another :rolaugh:

I rolled 12k miles today, 3k miles with the 08 hood on...
It is a very good mod, for a much cooler cabin :usa:

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DGT

I don't think I would be interested in making them. IT does take time to get it done right.

I did have more of the the honey comb look on my first set that I sold-then I went with the powder coated diamond flat shape.

I really like the look of the diamond shape the best. The openings are larger. The flat was so much easier to cut and shape to fit.

Here is a closer pic of the flat diamond

100_7375_edited-3.jpg

Last edited:

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The OEM grills are good for an additional 6 RWHP. The aftermarket grills best show on the dyno was a gain of 4 RWHP...;););)

OP
OP
J

Jsparks

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That was rediculous...... I only used half of the grates so it cost me $20 and took me all of about an 45 minutes from start to finish. I still have to remove them and paint but that shouldn't take much

For anyone that it wondering I used the sheet steel from Home Depot, .25in zip screws, and tin snips!!

BTW - With the top down I had my hand out of the window... I put it down by the side mirror and I can feel the heat coming off the motor which I never could before!!

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HISS, were you able to locate mesh like yours that has a more 'open' pattern? Is yours the 60% open? The link you provided had a thicker (more difficult to work with) pattern that was 72% open. Do you think it can be formed for our application? I think I'm going to try the 100% open pattern :omg: for a while and see what happens. I just hate to effectively cover up almost 3 of the 6 openings, but boy your grills are beautiful...

Thanks

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JohnK

I used the aluminum powder coated XXL flat Diamond(60%)-easy to form and cut. Order the sample pack-this will give you info needed.

You must be registered for see images attach

Diamond XXL Grill Mesh Sheets
Details
Super high quality mesh!

Twice the height & width of the regular mesh, and near 2x the thickness also. Made from 0.051 thick aluminum with an open area percentage around 72%. This mesh is ready for installation

Shipping Insurance is recommended at checkout. 18"x48" Sheets are charged ballon rate fees via USPS. 12"x48" are charged standard rates.
Grill Size & Color: Please Select...12in. x 48in. - SILVER 12in. x 48in. - Powdercoat Gloss BLACK-OUT OF STOCK (+$14.99) 18in. x 48in. - SILVER (+$5.00) 18in. x 48in. - Powdercoat Gloss BLACK (+$19.99) 12in. x 48in. - CHROME STEEL (+$35.00)
Price: $39.99
Diamond XXL FLAT Grill Mesh Sheets
Details
Super high quality mesh!

Just like the regular XXL, but with a flattened look. Much easier to work with and gives a larger appearance. Open area percentage is about 60%.

Click HERE to see the difference in GLOSS black vs. FLAT black.

- Now offering very lightweight and very thin XXL Flat Racing Mesh. Limited Time Only! Only $19.99 per sheet + S&H

- Stainless Steel BLOWOUT! 10 1/2" x 24" Sheets for $14.99!

Price: $Sheets
Details
Same diamond width of the XXL Flat Mesh and 1/2 the diamond height for more diamonds per inch. Made from 0.051 thick aluminum with an open area percentage around 69%. This mesh is ready for installation.

Details
High quality 6in. x 36in. & 12in. x 48in. mesh grill sheets. Made from 0.032 thick aluminum with an open area percentage around 68%. This mesh is ready for installation.

Grill Size & Color: Please Select...6in. x 36in. - SILVER 6in. x 36in. - Powdercoat Gloss BLACK (+$9.99) 12in. x 48in. - SILVER (+$20.00) 12in. x 48in. - Powdercoat Gloss BLACK - OUT OF STOCK (+$34.99)
Price: $13 Details

All Samples (Free or Big Sample) are Silver. We do not have any painted samples at this time