Man I love this car.

CSXT802

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I picked up my 2000 steel gray silver strip GTS on Friday the 8th. I had a long road trip home to get to know it. I'm not gonna lie I was a bit intimidated, seeing how I've never driven one before. I had the former owner with me for my first drive. Needless to say I took it very easy. We did some around town and highway driving. Then we took the car to a big open parking lot. I had to know how fast the car would "step out"(loose traction under throttle and spin out) as I like call it. So during A low speed 1st gear turn I gave it A sudden throttle input. Well the A$$ snapped right around spinning the car out. That was all I wanted to know. Now that I knew how fast this car could step out on me. I was ready for my 800+ mile road trip home. Well I have put almost 1,000 miles on it and all I can say is I really love driving this car. The car is easy to drive and very rewarding if you use your head when applying the throttle. :drive:

troybax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had my GTS a little over a month and also had a long trip home with it. I haven't been able to drive it as much as I would like to because of the weather but the first nice day I also took it to a large parking lot for the same reason you did. I wanted to get a feel for it and see what it took before it would spin out. I don't want to mistakenly do it on a public road so I thought it was a good idea. Im also agree this car is awsome and I check weather everynight in hopes I can drive it the next day! Tires on my list soon, they are originals.

Viper 95 Kim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Go to some track events and learn your car. Safty always, they will put you in the ditch in a new york second. Dont try to prove anything on the street we all know & any gear head knows Viper is king. Go to the track and learn your car safe. We loose enough of these great cars every year. One less in the bone yard is one more for someone to enjoy.

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I feel a little shorted b/c when I bought mine I had only like 150 mile trip home, although it was a blllaaaasssstttt. When I bought my wife's BMW I flew into NC and drove it home over the mountains and that was a lot of fun! Congrats on owning one of the coolest cars ever built!

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You played it smart and tested "being bit" in an empty parking lot first. The Viper has torque like few other cars and commands respect. Steel grey looks great with silver stripes. I recommend overriding the skip shift if it hasn't already been done as it makes the Viper more driveable in neighborhoods at slow speed. Congrats and good luck with it.:drive:

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whatever you do do not get over confident, that's when she'll bite you. I've driven my 2000 Viper on the track many times and learned the dynamics of the car well. Still when getting on the freeway one day on a 270 degree on ramp I goosed it a little early and wasn't completely straight yet and went into a "death wiggle" (when the rear steps out right, left, right, left) only thing that saved me was my track experience. It was one of those moments where you reflect and change your underwear :D

OP
OP
CSXT802

CSXT802

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife has made it clear that if I wreck this car there wont be another. This is a one shot deal for me. So I plan on being on my best Behavior at all times. :D

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the car; great colors and I know you'll enjoy it for years to come!

On learning the cars limits, getting new PS2's will really change the envelope of when the rear will step out, but with all models of tires on this car.....cold temps = little traction.

Every fall as the evening temps begin to fall, we have a rash of accidents and we don't want to lose anyone from the club, so keep that in mind as you're learning your Viper....stuff that it does easily in the mid-day sun, it won't do at 10pm.

Regards,
Aaron

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a nice drive.

I also told myself to take it easy the first couple of days, but than my friend with his Aston DBS showed up and I ended up driving 150 with a V12 blinking his lights to get past....nice drive I will never forget.

Enjoy your car and drive safe

kyleblix

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats!!
I picked up my GTS about two weeks ago and drove it 1200 miles home. What a great experience. I almost didn't want to get home because I was enjoying the drive so much.
Smart of you to find big empty parking lot. That is on my list still.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whatever you do do not get over confident, that's when she'll bite you. I've driven my 2000 Viper on the track many times and learned the dynamics of the car well. Still when getting on the freeway one day on a 270 degree on ramp I goosed it a little early and wasn't completely straight yet and went into a "death wiggle" (when the rear steps out right, left, right, left) only thing that saved me was my track experience. It was one of those moments where you reflect and change your underwear :D

Wiser words have never been spoken.

justingeer82

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought mine in august an hour from panama city beach, fl. i live near nashville,tn. while cruising on the interstate 75+mph i hit a sudden hard rain during rush hour time. i coulda swore my car was a transformer and converted into a boat without a rudder! this car hydroplanes something awful! like you this was the first time i ever drove one. ahh the little experiences :) i thought about having mines first set of boots (bald ass rear tires) bronzed lol

shine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
...I goosed it a little early and wasn't completely straight yet and went into a "death wiggle" (when the rear steps out right, left, right, left) only thing that saved me was my track experience. It was one of those moments where you reflect and change your underwear :D

They say you're not a Viper driver if you've not swapped ends.

Congrats on the purchase, and on the sensibility! I know I've pushed mine too far, too, and it was enough to humble me wihtout actually causing any pain...

TP_ GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congrats on your purchase. New owner here as well. Picked her up the day after xmas with 7k miles and 3 months later............> she's got 12k :drive::headbang: I just can't keep my A$$ out of the drivers seat and it's my weekend toy! One of the benefits of living in Florida is we get to drive all year round. Just remember....Keep your "EGO" aka right foot in check and you will be fine! DRIVE and ENJOY THE CAR. I thought my Z06 was fun to drive. Driving the Viper is "FUN" on a different page.

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those of you new to the breed (and there is NO OTHER like it), either get on the track or a parking lot to see how fast the a$$ comes around. I promise you, you WILL be caught off guard by it. Driving on wet roads is also a learning experience ... the footprint of the tires will have you floating at 65 and if you're not ready for it, you'll be in the ditch in no time. Oh yeah, has anyone mentioned OLD tires? Guys, if you haven't already done it, read the horror stories of those that saved a few bucks and continued driving on 10 year old tires, 'with plenty of tread left'.:rolaugh:

There are a few stickies on the board for first time owners ... READ them. This is advice coming from those that have gone before you and are trying to save you some heart ache.

Have a ball with your new toy ... You'll love and never regret your first Snake.:drive:

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great choice in color!

I was looking at a 2000 Steel Gray/White Stripes GTS before I bought my 96 B/W.. beautiful car. :)

OP
OP
CSXT802

CSXT802

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This weather ***** It's rained all but 2 days since I got the car home. calling for rain on and off for the next 6 days.:censored::mad:

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the coolest cars on the planet IMO.

I own and or have driven MANY cars (some of which I can NOT afford lol) and to me NOTHING is like driving a snake, not a lambo, Ferrari, vette, mustang, camaro, porsche, ect

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The tires are on the top of the list.

With an 800 mile trip home, I do hope that you put them HIGHER on "top of your list." Old tires= a death sentence. New PS2's are the BEST mod you can do because you can't even know the car without good meat on the feet.