Manual Key Lock/Unlock on Gen 4

VenomSteve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, battery is dead, so I tried unlocking the car with the key thing under the driver mirror. But it doesn't work (won't turn more then 30 degree), am I missing something? :dunno:

OP
OP
V

VenomSteve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Push the door lightly at the same time.
Just when out to the garage and try again. No go. I don't get it??? Anyhow, car is unlock with the little kid thru the trunk trick. But i am still curious on why it won't unlock with the key.

Reaction score
They turn VERY hard and getting the pressure off the latch is the only way you will get the key to turn without twisting it off. Once you get it to work you will understand. With the door open try it to make sure the cylinder works OK for the future reference.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Sorry for your trouble, Steve. You are lucky to have already received great advice from three REAL EXPERTS!!!

At this point, I would suggest that you start over.

Try some lock specific lube (and redo this as routine maintenance item at least yearly)...but if you have none now, try a little WD-40...which is not a good solution for the long term in my opinion.

Then, try the lock again while BOTH depressing the door handle AND leaning against the rear portion of the driver's door as described above.

Here is where my experience differs slightly. In the dozen or more Gen III's and IV's that I have had to open (YES...by making a "house call" :) including to a dealership on behalf of the owner), I have had a 100% success rate by leaning HEAVILY on the door using my thigh or hip during the process.

Folks coached over the phone using the same technique were also successful...including one yesterday afternoon!!

If you still cannot get the key lock to work...time to visit an experienced, SRT-qualified Viper Tech.

Good luck.

OP
OP
V

VenomSteve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe I was unclear with my original note. The key lock works fine when the the car has power. It however will not turn when my battery was dead. So, my question was should one be able to manually unlock the car with the key if the battery is dead.