Mass Picture Post #1 (New Mods--Skip's Tips)

VNMOUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mass Picture Post #1 (New Mods--Skip\'s Tips)

I have had several mods done to the 03 SRT in the last month. I changed out the stock exhaust to the Corsa Track but the tips left a lot to be desired and it was not loud enough (not to mention the tips were lousy and the clamps wouldn't keep the system from rotating). Anyway, I had my tuner put in some Random Tech high-flow cats. This has made the sound perfect in my opinion. It will scare people and wild animals at full throttle; however, it has just the right amount of rumble at idle and cruising. The Corsa Track without the high-flow flow cats had a pretty substantial drone, this setup has no drone whatsoever and is really quiet when cruising in 6th gear. I also had Skip White's tips put on the car. They look outstanding to me. Keep in mind there was a significant anount of work required to make these fit the Corsa system without a crossover. It even entailed carving out a portion of the stock exhaust opening. You can't see the changes made to my exhaust openings without getting on the ground and looking fairly close at them.

While I was at it I went with the 3.55 rear, hardened cross pin, K&N filter box, had the side sills repainted, put on some 3M side sill protectant, changed the emblems to chrome, and bought an RB1/6 Disc Changer/Sirius setup. To top it off I spent 2 days with a porter cable random orbit and tons of Meguiars professional supplies.

The car was dynoed after the mods and had some decent gain. Keep in mind the air intake was almost 18 degrees F warmer this time compared to the stock dyno numbers. Also, if I am not mistaken, changing out to a steeper gear will decrease your dyno numbers for some reason when compared to a stock gear. Please correct me if I am wrong about this.

Here are some pics, enjoy....

50975-8-5_003-med.jpg

50975-8-5_009-med.jpg

50975-8-5_012-med.jpg

50975-8-5_026-med.jpg

50975-8-5_035-med.jpg

50975-8-5_025-med.jpg

50975-8-5_023-med.jpg

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Mass Picture Post #1 (New Mods--Skip\'s Tips)

How much for the Skip's tips and Random Tech cats?

Not sure about Skip's tips BUT the RT Cats go for $625 + $55 shipping, duty, brokerage fee, taxes, etc. for me (then again I'm in Canada so for you American's probably $650 to your door)

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've lowered the tips to $95.40 to VCA members, and 10% more to non members. I also lowered the freight to $10.00 They really are a nice set of tips,(very heavy gauge wall). The double wall taper is the only way to go. The Jaguar guys have even bought a few sets from me. I sent a set to Australia the other day. The guy said he has looked every where for these tips.

I'm going to be doing a flow bench test on a set of high flow cats next week. The cost will be much less than the Random Tech's.

Give Cindy a call in the morning at 423-288-3881

Skip White

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Congrats on the mods!

Love the tips! :2tu: I like the looks of your setup better than the looks of mine, and may be interested in duplicating it, but I do have a question regarding expansion. My Corsa tips don't quite fill up the exhaust opening like your setup, which for me is a good thing since the tips start near the front of the hole when cold, and as the exhaust heats up and expands, move more toward the back of the hole. The entire movement is about a half an inch but it's very noticeable because it's such a tight fit. Like you, I too have no cross-over and RT cats. How did you address this expansion issue?

OP
OP
V

VNMOUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

The expansion of the Corsa system is indeed a problem. The side sill exhaust openings had to be cut out slightly and touched up with a little paint. Mainly around the bottom and rear edges; you can't really see this unless you get down on the ground and look for it. The openings are not perfectly round to begin with, and the angulaiton of the tip coming out of the opening helps to hide the manipulations that were done.

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I can't be sure from looking at the pictures, but it kinda looks to me like the Skip tips fill up the exhaust opening, even after widening. Is that correct? If so, then my question is: what happens when the exhaust pipes expand? Does the exhaust system just bind up lacking room for expansion, or do the tips come further out of the openings, or have you figured out a way to prevent the expansion at the tips, or what? Do you have any close-up side shots?

Again, I really like the looks of it a lot! Hence my question.

Thanks!

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I wonder why the corsa expands as it doe's. When I do my exhaust mod, there is no noticable change in the end of the pipes location.

The tips are four inch, and the opening is 4.25 I believe. The opening is somewhat oval in shape. Getting it centered is not as important as it would be if the tips were smaller.

I was out to lunch on having the tip stick out as it doe's but the more I look at it, I kinda like it like that. Seems to give the car a nice accent. Sure would like to see some shots at a different angle. Several people have asked my opinion on how far to come out, and I really need to see more cars with them on, but I like this one from what I see.

Skip

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have Corsa's track exhaust. Haven't had any issues with expansion.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't think you can prevent the expansion!

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Expansion also. About a half inch. I too have the Rt cats and love the sound..

OP
OP
V

VNMOUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I will post close up pictures when I get my car out of storage. I'm in the process of remodeling my garage.

My exhaust openings were opened about 1/8" to 1/4" on the bottom and back side. Cold, the tips are about 1/8" from touching in front and 3/8" from touching in the rear. Hot, this becomes reversed but the tips do not touch. The angulation makes it so that the tips expand outward as well about 1/8". I will post hot and cold pictures next week.

Austin

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have Corsa's track exhaust. Haven't had any issues with expansion.

Do you have the RT cats also? I think that is where the problem lies.

Herc :usa:

OP
OP
V

VNMOUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

My garage is not finished yet so I do not have my car available for pics. Should be done this week, so I hope to take more pictures by Monday or Tuesday.

OP
OP
V

VNMOUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Sorry I haven't put up the hot/cold pictures yet. I have been very busy at work and my garage is not quite finished yet. Anyway, I have the car back and should be able to get some pics up by Thursday evening.

TOPGON

Viper Owner
Reaction score

SKIP I would also like to know about the tip install on stock exhaust reference "sellshomesdrivesviper" inquiry on this thread. THX Bill

SRT10_SWISS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Skip,

any chance to give us "Do-it-yourselv"-er :D a bit an idea, what it needs for the installation on stock exhaust?

Many Thanks, Vladi :2tu:

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As to the question of installing the tips your self. I don't think it's possible at all.

You guys tell me if this sounds like a good idea.

Having a tip made that is oval shaped to match the opening, and double walled as my tips are, and have them designed to fasten to the bottom of the side skirt or elsewhere, then remove the oem tip, and let it funnel into the new tip for about one inch, but not even touch the new tip, as it would be a good 3/4 inch larger diameter. You could not even see or at least notice this, and the tip would function and not be affected by the hot cold pipe travel. Best yet they could be installed at home. The only cutting would be to cut back the oem pipe several inches.

Other wise it's no fun at all welding these tips and getting them in the perfect spot.

I don't think there would be an exhaust leak issue at that point in the exhaust as long as the oem tip was at least on inch into the new tip. I don't know.

Skip White

SRT10_SWISS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Skip,

Great pics!!! Really appreciated! :2tu:

How can I order your tips? I'm living in Switzerland, Europe.
Do you accept visa?

Many thanks.
Vladi

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery