May not have to worry about 2015 Z06

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An actual real life Z06 will finally be a good thing for us. It will be impossible to live up to the hype GM created, which even here reached epic proportions. The rags will still gush over it for at least a year, retest every other car supercar against it to support its anointment as the best there ever was...unless it is found to be fragile on track like the base C7. People will also finally get to see this mythiical creation up close, some will like it others won't, and when the frenzy settles down we're going to be left with a very competitive Viper and Z06 to choose between. They'll be both as similar and fundamentally different as they've always been, and individual buyers will choose the car that appeals to them most. Both cars will have improved over previous generations in a variety of ways, and I can see a few Vette guys coming over to Viper for the more analogue, exotic and exclusive aspects, and some Viper guys going to the Vette for an auto, CCB's and other tech bits that appeal to them.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTR: 3,825lbs and 0-60 in under 3 seconds. That's as fast as a 1,350lb. V-8 Ariel Atom. Would somebody care to explain the physics?

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTR: 3,825lbs and 0-60 in under 3 seconds. That's as fast as a 1,350lb. V-8 Ariel Atom. Would somebody care to explain the physics?

LOL...Yes technology has re-written what we should expect from cold hard numbers on a sheet. For instance, on paper there is no way a Porsche TT S should be neck and neck with a car like the Viper which has 80+ more hp and is quite a bit lighter than the Porsche TT S as well. But that AWD and DCT have compensated for any seeming lack on paper quite a bit.....

So Im not counting the Z06 weight against it just yet as it has more technology than the Viper. It will have an auto etc so that weight advantage the current Viper has may not factor in at all like we used to expect as we see currently with cars like the GTR/Porsche. We already see how close the very heavy GTR comes to Viper lap times so I wont count the Z06 out because of numbers on a paper especially with the tires its likely to be shod with. If anything the last decade or so should have taught us that weight isnt as big a hindrance as it was in past era's. In this era, PDK/Auto, AWD, LC working together is not a joke. Neither is a well put together RWD/manual package like the Viper but you get what I am saying in regards to the Z06 and its added weight.

What Id like to see is a very light weight real streetcar package [under 3k lbs] with the latest AWD/DCT/LC/600hp+ from any mfg. The price of admission would be ******** though. Imagine the original Euro Mclaren F1 with AWD/DCT/LC and the same 627hp...Or a Viper like that but at 3k lbs with the same 640hp...That would be a factory car for the ages.....Unfortunately those systems add a good bit of weight hence most of the cars with these features are north of 3500 lbs....

Last edited:

ScrewDrvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember the viper vs amg sls comparison? SLS down ~20hp, ~130tq, weighs ~400lbs more. Beat the viper in the 1/4 mile and nearly a 1.5 second gap at Laguna Seca. Im VERY interested to see some real world test.

Last edited:

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Non-racers focus too much on peak hp numbers. Experienced racers understand that the highest average hp under the curve for the racing RPM powerband, is what what really matters. The 911 Turbo S, the SLS, and the Z06 all have one thing in common - forced induction. That means they have a lot more torque and hp under the entire hp curve, not just a high peak value. Naturally aspirated engines tend to have more peaky hp curves, and require higher rpm to perform their best. FI cars can usually do very well, at any rpm they start with.

ScrewDrvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
/\ SLS has a n/a v8. The 7 speed DCT is whats doing all the magic.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
and I can see a few Vette guys coming over to Viper for the more analogue, exotic and exclusive aspects,

I can't. I fully expect the C7 Z06 to beat the Gen V time at Laguna Seca, mainly because it HAS to.
As in it would be considered a failure if it does not and GM certainly knows that.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Remember the viper vs amg sls comparison? SLS down ~20hp, ~130tq, weighs ~400lbs more. Beat the viper in the 1/4 mile and nearly a 1.5 second gap at Laguna Seca. Im VERY interested to see some real world test.

The lap time records still show the Gen 5 (and even the Gen 4 ACR) on top though, so what were the circumstances behind this? Same driver in both cars? The Viper definitely takes a skilled hand to get it around a track quickly, so I could understand the large difference with someone less experienced behind the wheel. Just trying to understand the conflicting information out there.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, what they said. Weight to HP isn't a solid ratio to judge actual measured perf anymore. GT-R is the poster child for this in breaking the laws of physics, lol.

Also, to give credit where it's due, Vette has always achieved impressive perf #s without eye popping HP #s, the out going Z06 to me virtually defies physics, it makes so much use of its "low" HP amount and achieves such impressive straight & road course times, I have no thoughts that an extra 100 lbs or so I going to be a challenge for them to compensate.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, what they said. Weight to HP isn't a solid ratio to judge actual measured perf anymore. GT-R is the poster child for this in breaking the laws of physics, lol.

Also, to give credit where it's due, Vette has always achieved impressive perf #s without eye popping HP #s, the out going Z06 to me virtually defies physics, it makes so much use of its "low" HP amount and achieves such impressive straight & road course times, I have no thoughts that an extra 100 lbs or so I going to be a challenge for them to compensate.

No further proof need than the 'Ring times between the ZR1 and the Z06. Three seconds over a 7 minute track.

ZR1: 7.19.63
Z06: 7:22:68

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
easy, traction from AWD and auto. Not really that impressive when you think about it that way, but the fact that pig of a car can handle with its electronics is what is amazing.

ScrewDrvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The lap time records still show the Gen 5 (and even the Gen 4 ACR) on top though, so what were the circumstances behind this? Same driver in both cars? The Viper definitely takes a skilled hand to get it around a track quickly, so I could understand the large difference with someone less experienced behind the wheel. Just trying to understand the conflicting information out there.
It was the same day same driver (Randy Pobst) in the Motor Trend test. No doubt the Viper could have went faster(as proof already exist with a faster lap with Pobst driving). But im sure the SLS could pick up some time too with more track time. Either way, it was just to show that a car with less hp/tq and more weight can hang with and beat a car with an "on paper" advantage.

Im sure GM will send the Z06 out to testers wearing the MPSC again too. Such an advantage right out of the gate....

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never understand the vette-viper discussion, I like both cars for what they are and if I wanted the best handling car...I would not have bought either of them. But I guess the competition is good for everybody, it makes both cars better and better!

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This should make us appreciate the effort SRT went through to add all the luxury bits but still drop nearly 75 pounds.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never understand the vette-viper discussion, I like both cars for what they are and if I wanted the best handling car...I would not have bought either of them. But I guess the competition is good for everybody, it makes both cars better and better!

Wondering what you'd buy to get better handling. Considering the fastest 5 laptimes at Laguna are all vipers and Vettes, and then 6th is Mclaren, before going back to a viper again in 7th, are there better handling cars that are yet slower around a road course?

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wondering what you'd buy to get better handling. Considering the fastest 5 laptimes at Laguna are all vipers and Vettes, and then 6th is Mclaren, before going back to a viper again in 7th, are there better handling cars that are yet slower around a road course?
The Viper clearly doesn't have the best suspension, and clearly doesn't have the best brakes. But it has plenty of torque. I think it was Enzo Ferrari who said "horsepower sells cars, but torque wins races".

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The base car's pricing looks good to attract the mass market, Corvette's target audience. When well-optioned for serious performance and to compete with higher-end cars it's double the cost of a C7, yet shares the same paint quality. Those wanting an exotic supercar can choose the Gen V with confidence, and real savings. Those who don't have a more expensive Corvette to consider. I'll be curious to see if it'll stands up better on the track than the current C7.

LouN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Non-racers focus too much on peak hp numbers. Experienced racers understand that the highest average hp under the curve for the racing RPM powerband, is what what really matters. The 911 Turbo S, the SLS, and the Z06 all have one thing in common - forced induction. That means they have a lot more torque and hp under the entire hp curve, not just a high peak value. Naturally aspirated engines tend to have more peaky hp curves, and require higher rpm to perform their best. FI cars can usually do very well, at any rpm they start with.

This is 100% true. It's simple calculus, total area under the curve.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The base car's pricing looks good to attract the mass market, Corvette's target audience. When well-optioned for serious performance and to compete with higher-end cars it's double the cost of a C7, yet shares the same paint quality. Those wanting an exotic supercar can choose the Gen V with confidence, and real savings. Those who don't have a more expensive Corvette to consider. I'll be curious to see if it'll stands up better on the track than the current C7.

Full of wrong.
But the truth is a loaded Z06 is a little more than 90K for a Z06 with 2LZ and the Z07 performance package.
They won't be able to keep them on the lot.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You would be surprised to see what the high-end Porsche/McLaren/Ferrari crowd are saying about the old ZR1 and now the new Z06. Quite a few P1, 12c, Ferrari owners are raving about it and are planning to purchase it as daily drivers. Chevy will sell these Z06's to the usual target audience of course but also to the same crowd SRT/Dodge/Fiat was after. I'm pretty sure some Viper owners will also purchase one as quite a few did in in the past. The Z06 may not be exotic and rare as the Viper but will be moddable, probably just as fast/faster than the G5, have some of the bells and whistles that crowd want and has a cheaper base MSRP. Its going to be a hard package to compete with even if its not as reliable as the Snake.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper clearly doesn't have the best suspension, and clearly doesn't have the best brakes. But it has plenty of torque. I think it was Enzo Ferrari who said "horsepower sells cars, but torque wins races".

Yea I know that's a cute saying, but then a 700 lb/ft of tq turbo diesel truck would win races against Ferrari's. When defending lower HP cars, this is nice marketing, although they tend to have low tq as well, lol. I'd argue it's easily an equal formula, making tons of tq I one thing, making it quicker is HP, and acceleration is dependent on both.

I just find it interesting when we talk about the viper suspension not being the best, the motor being antiquated tech, not enough power, intrusive nannies, and whatever else, and it holds the track records ... on arguably inferior tires to the MPSCs no less. That's all.

Reaction score

Fully agree, but everyone here and "there" just want the big number...

The Vettes have always had better gearing (IMO) and run more RPM, with lower tq number they can get the power down sooner and take advantage of it all.

No further proof need than the 'Ring times between the ZR1 and the Z06. Three seconds over a 7 minute track.

ZR1: 7.19.63
Z06: 7:22:68

That's why a 10 lap format to find the real winners in magazine tests are a must, flood them with requests!

It was the same day same driver (Randy Pobst) in the Motor Trend test. No doubt the Viper could have went faster(as proof already exist with a faster lap with Pobst driving). But im sure the SLS could pick up some time too with more track time. Either way, it was just to show that a car with less hp/tq and more weight can hang with and beat a car with an "on paper" advantage.

Im sure GM will send the Z06 out to testers wearing the MPSC again too. Such an advantage right out of the gate....

I think that even though it comes with the "Cups" they are run flats aren't they? That can't be that great for performance.

This should make us appreciate the effort SRT went through to add all the luxury bits but still drop nearly 75 pounds.

Amen!!!! They worked their butts off to do just that.

I know Lou Belanger says the same thing everytime the horsepower claims are thrown around to sell headers.

You would be surprised to see what the high-end Porsche/McLaren/Ferrari crowd are saying about the old ZR1 and now the new Z06. Quite a few P1, 12c, Ferrari owners are raving about it and are planning to purchase it as daily drivers. Chevy will sell these Z06's to the usual target audience of course but also to the same crowd SRT/Dodge/Fiat was after. I'm pretty sure some Viper owners will also purchase one as quite a few did in in the past. The Z06 may not be exotic and rare as the Viper but will be moddable, probably just as fast/faster than the G5, have some of the bells and whistles that crowd want and has a cheaper base MSRP. Its going to be a hard package to compete with even if its not as reliable as the Snake.

Plus the Vette has always been advertized in magazines and TV so people have been exposed to them more, easy to capture an audience when it's always in your face.

Yea I know that's a cute saying, but then a 700 lb/ft of tq turbo diesel truck would win races against Ferrari's. When defending lower HP cars, this is nice marketing, although they tend to have low tq as well, lol. I'd argue it's easily an equal formula, making tons of tq I one thing, making it quicker is HP, and acceleration is dependent on both.

I just find it interesting when we talk about the viper suspension not being the best, the motor being antiquated tech, not enough power, intrusive nannies, and whatever else, and it holds the track records ... on arguably inferior tires to the MPSCs no less. That's all.

Not apples to apples, but still ridiculousLOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxGTKKXK4og

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Full of wrong.
But the truth is a loaded Z06 is a little more than 90K for a Z06 with 2LZ and the Z07 performance package.
They won't be able to keep them on the lot.
Agreed.
There will be a line.

You would be surprised to see what the high-end Porsche/McLaren/Ferrari crowd are saying about the old ZR1 and now the new Z06.
Not surprising...on paper, the car is formidable.