McViper is sold.......and crashed...........

Chris1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yup, just like the title says; I sold her this past Saturday morning (for $25K as a reference if anyone is interested), and they guy flew in to PA from NC and drove it back Saturday afternoon with no problems. Unfortunatly, he called me this morning, and said he was driving to work, and he had a blow-out at about 40 mph, and went off the road and damaged the front end; he's not sure of the extent of the damage yet, although he indicated he didn't call his insurance company to add the car on. That could be an expensive mistake, however I'll keep everyone posted as to the outcome. In the meantime, I will give him Jon B's number to see if they can hook up and do business, as he said the rim is bent, probably from the pothole that caused the blowout, so I'm sure he'll need at least 1 yellow rim, and at least the front bumper, headlight, and possible hood. Not a good weekend for the poor 'ole gal..........:omg:

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought insurance covers cars you just bought for 10 days on the existing plan - at least mine does.

That blows none-the-less.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy Crap-o-ly...Talk about a strange set of circumstances...or put another way...Viper circumcision in Chad's case...

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
most of the time if u have fc- your insured for a month

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ouch..that could be a total with some companies now. If he needs a new hood thats big $$$

triblk6spd

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If he had decent insurance there should be no problem. My insurance gives me 30 days to add a new vehicle. (Farmers) ***** thought to crash your new car.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad he is okay but sad to hear about the damage.

Congratulations on the sale of your car. For reference, how many miles were on the car when you sold it?

triplexotica

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Man that *****!

Buy a new Viper gone the next day.

My insurance co. also does the 30 day thing. They're thinking about cutting back to 15, but they've been saying this for years.

OP
OP
C

Chris1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ouch..that could be a total with some companies now. If he needs a new hood thats big $$$

I think he may need a new hood; he said he took it to a body shop near him, and they gave him an estimate for $32,000 in repairs, with the hood being $14K alone; time for him to call Jon B or X2 rebuilders............

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$32k in repairs, blow out, 40mph. Yeah I must call :bs2: on the blow out story too:rolaugh::rolaugh:. My insurance is 30 day grace period also:drive::2tu: And I always wait 29 days before paying that first years premium. With my company thats 29 days free insurance;)

OP
OP
C

Chris1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
40MPH...OKIE DOKIE:rolleyes:

That's the story he is telling me; the guy didn't seem to tentative about driving it when he was driving away, however I guess we'll have to take his word for it. I'll see if I can determine exactly what he needs, and if he doesn't go through Jon B for parts, then I will post his needs and phone # on here with his permission, as I'm sure there may be forum members on here that could have stock parts laying around that they may want to get rid of, although I'm betting that Chad could be first in line when it comes to supplying something in the shade of yellow..............:)

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
have you found out FIRST who his insurance is? I can't think of ANY companies that do not cover their customer automatically for at least 10 days...mine does 30...

OP
OP
C

Chris1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
have you found out FIRST who his insurance is? I can't think of ANY companies that do not cover their customer automatically for at least 10 days...mine does 30...

Not sure; he hasn't gotten back to me yet; he said his insurance company told him he had to bring the car over to their location first in order to have it covered. He may have a small local company that adheres to their own ruls vs. a larger corporate company.........

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is he blaming you at all for a possible faulty tire issue. Just be careful if that is the case.

Bruce

OP
OP
C

Chris1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Maybe we shouldn't go there, in case the buyer is looking for somebody to blame and knows how to get to this site.

Bob

The tires were less than 2 years old, and had less than 15,000 miles on them; the previous owner should have nothing to do with a tire blowing out, if that is what truly happened. I'm sure that's the last thing he wants to get involved in regarding lawyers and such. There are no implied warranties as far as I am aware from a private seller, although I'm certainly not a lawyer, however again, having an alleged blowout certainly shouldn't fall into that category. When he followed me back to the interstate about buying it at my house, which was less than 2 miles, he actually spun out going around a turn, and said "Wow, the car got away from me there", and that was only after about 4 minutes of driving; our country is too lawsuit happy if that is one of the things that comes to mind for certain people..........

OP
OP
C

Chris1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The tires were less than 2 years old, and had less than 15,000 miles on them; the previous owner should have nothing to do with a tire blowing out, if that is what truly happened. I'm sure that's the last thing he wants to get involved in regarding lawyers and such. There are no implied warranties as far as I am aware from a private seller, although I'm certainly not a lawyer, however again, having an alleged blowout certainly shouldn't fall into that category. When he followed me back to the interstate about buying it at my house, which was less than 2 miles, he actually spun out going around a turn, and said "Wow, the car got away from me there", and that was only after about 4 minutes of driving; our country is too lawsuit happy if that is one of the things that comes to mind for certain people..........

Plus, he drove the car over 500 miles back to NC, and then some when he got back to NC with no problems, so he better bring Johnny Cochrine and the Dream Team if he thinks he has a case................

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he had decent insurance there should be no problem. My insurance gives me 30 days to add a new vehicle. (Farmers) ***** thought to crash your new car.

30 days? Wow... when I bought my car last december I called the insurance company and was able to add it to my policy right that instant when ownership paperwork was still being sorted, complete with coverage for theft and some additional options.
Can only speak for The Netherlands here, don't know if this is also a possibility in the U.S.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I missed this thread somehow. Congrats on selling the car, but ***** it's already been wrecked! Atleast the value of my car went up another $100 when he wiped out. That currently puts my value at $12,600 :D Have you heard back from the guy? Is it a total? Was he covered by insurance? I could use his glovebox door if he's looking to part the car out.

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
"$32k in repairs, blow out, 40mph. Yeah I must call
bs2.gif
on the blow out story too..."

This is quite possible. I know this, unfortunately, from personal experience. An F-350 turned left from the outside line, cutting me off. I tried to match his turn, and go around the corner with him, but he was only going about 10 MPH when he turned, and I was going about 30 and couldn't slow down in time. The impact happened at under 30 MPH, though I can't say exactly at what speed, and it was a 'glancing blow' as I was turning on the inside with him. Front right side got scraped. Headlight assembly smashed. Various bits inside got destroyed. Needed a new rim. No frame damage.

Total was almost $35,000 mostly due to the hood. I was anal about every damaged part being replaced, NOT repaired, and only with OEM parts. Unpainted OEM Gen II hood from Dodge was $17,000.

I should also mention the body shop I used does custom car modifications and works on exotics, specifically. Car was absolutely flawless when it got out of the shop. I went over it for hours looking for even a tiny irregularity - couldn't find one. Amazing work.

But yeah, I can see $32k in repairs from a 40 MPH collision. Between buying the hood, shipping, prep, painting and mounting it, that's almost $20k by itself.

ZexZo6

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If I was that guy I would just fix the damage myself little by little. If he reports the damage to the insurance he will either have a totaled car or salvaged title car and will be really hard to try to sell if he plans to later down the road. There are tons of body parts that fluxuate on ebay all the time. He can get a good hood from 4-6K. Shipping might cost a little or he can go out with a flatbed and pick up a more local one. I would rather buy the parts on ebay and slowly get the car back together than make a total or salvage claim for a Viper on my insurance. His premiums will go up and he will be stuck with a car that he will have trouble selling.

Also, the way he spun out when test driving it, no disrespect to him but you can tell he has never driven anything fast and this car was too big of a step for him. He was probably out beating on the car a little bit and lost control again and nailed a mailbox or something like that and is saying the pothole thing. Oh course who knows??? He might have?

Last edited:

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
. When he followed me back to the interstate about buying it at my house, which was less than 2 miles, he actually spun out going around a turn, and said "Wow, the car got away from me there", and that was only after about 4 minutes of driving

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21