Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax is the new king!

OP
OP
O

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Meguiar\'s NXT Tech Wax is the new king!

This was the first product I used in a LONG time that exceeded my expectations. I was expecting results similar to other top notch polishes/waxes, and would have been happy with that since the price is very reasonable and the product can be purchased at almost any auto department. When it exceeded the others in every way (that I can tell so far - time will tell with durability), I figured I had to pass on the good news.

BTW - I talked to a support tech. at Meguiar's, and he said to use a finishing pad on the Porter Cable to apply the NXT - set at speed 4. That's the process I used and it worked great. Report back with the results on the Viper.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

IMO, ANYTIME you use the claybar and appply ANY wax over it, the results are stunning. All these different are basically the same, diff blends of carnuba, etc.

Try using the ClayBar and the cheapest wax you can find. YOu'll LOVE the results..

Gerald

OP
OP
O

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I couldn't disagree more, with all due respect. The clay only removes contaminants from the paint, which is great, but does nothing for swirls. So you'll end up with a smooth finish (from the clay), and a protected car with some shine from the wax - but still have swirl marks. Waxes may cover up swirls a little bit, but they do not remove them. Therefore, they will reappear shortly. A swirl remover product will actually remove the swirls, not just cover them up with a layer of wax.

BTW, NTX does not contain any Carnuba, nor does any of the other polymer based products (Zaino, Klassa, Blackfire). They protect/last much longer than the average wax, and shine much longer (on average). There are some kick asp carnuba waxes, but they cost... And I've only used one which last as long as the polymer based products - Collinite Super Duty Wax.

IMO, a good exterior detail must include at least these steps:

1.) Clean the finish with clay or a cleaner compound/rotary buffer. *There is an advantage to using a cleaner compound/rotary buffer. All the swirl marks will also be removed (so you can skip step 2), but it is more aggressive on the paint (removes more clear coat than clay, which removes none). You also need to really know what your doing with the rotary buffer, which is much more powerful than an orbital. An orbital can remove moderate to minor swirls, but is not powerful enough to remove all the contaminants from the clearcoat, hence the need for clay bar or powerful rotary buffer.

2.) Remove all the swirl marks. Realistically, you need some type of buffer to do this in a timely manner with a swirl remover product. A quality orbital or rotary buffer will work like a champ. If the swirls are really bad or deep, a rotary will need to be used.

3.) Protect the cars finish with your favorite polish/wax and add that finishing shine. If steps 1 and 2 were performed properly, I agree with Gerald. Any wax/polish will make the car look great. BUT, how easy is it to apply/remove? Can it stain vinyl or rubber pieces? Is the shine nice, or does it make your jaw drop? And the biggest variance is how long will it last/protect? I used polishes/waxes that last for 2-3 washes, and I've used polishes/waxes that last for 6+ months. Trust me, there is a big diffence in longevity. Zaino and Collinite Wax (Super Duty) will keep your car shining and protected for 6+ months no problem. Poor waxes will last a month, and you will need to reapply for that shine and protection.

Kevin ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have always used Zaino on the Viper, and decided to try the NXT on my wifes well worn, car washed abused Pontiac Montana. The hood actually looked like someone took mild steel wool to it (slight exageration). It was as everyone is sayint too easy! I actually had to used brake cleaner to remove road paint from the hood prior to using NXT, so you can imagine the condition of the paint. After the NXT the car was ready for sale, I mean it looked that good. And the effort was like next to nothing. I used on MIcrofiber to put it on and one to take it off. I kept shaking the removal cloth and never really saw much dust take off in the wind, and it never really seemed to load up like Meguairs gold classic does. I was impressed to say the least.

Then I did my black GTP Pontiac, very pleased, beautiful finish although the pollen stuck like a magnet after it sat out over night here in Michigan spring time. the Calif car duster took that right off, don't know if I would have used the "in between spray" if that will make a difference. Don't know if Zaino would have behaved differently, as I think this is one of the reported benefits to Zaino...ability to reject dust /static whatever.

For the effort and results I'll probably have a lot of Zaino product gathering dust. I am very pleased with nxt and have recommended it to several friends already. The Zaino may be better, may last longer, but I find it hard to believe it hides swirls better or more importantly is worth the effort versus the final appearance.

I will be doing the Viper soon with clay, and preparing the surface real well, then using NXT. I think it will be well worth the try based on my results so far.

FWIW, this is a neat product worth trying on a least one of your cars. I think you'll be impressed, besides it is such a quick process to apply and remove it like washing it two times, really.

Toronto_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So does this mean that the Zaino is now number 2. Are you guys sure that silicon will not hurt the paint. if it is safe and that easy to use then I will use it. But what about streaks. Does it leave any streaks when you take it off.

S-JC

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I just used the NXT last night and it is awesome! I had a few swirls, many spider webs, some light scratches, and the usual level of contaminants in the paint. So I used the following sequence to revive the finish (all Meguiar's products):

1. #83 Cleaner/Polish. Really smoothed up the rough parts of the paint. When I say "rough," I mean that when you run your hand across the paint, it doesn't feel smooth. For deeper scratches, I went to #4 Heavy-Cut Cleaner.
2. #9 Swirl Remover.
3. #81 Hand Polish. It's pretty much the same as #7 but is slightly easier to remove.
4. #20 Polymer Sealant. This is the first time I've used it so we'll see how I like it.
5. NXT wax. Wow!

By the way, if you haven't bought any microfiber towels yet, get out there and buy a couple. They make wiping off the products a breeze.

Slightly funny story: I spent all day yesterday doing this great work and I planned on taking a couple of nice pictures in a scenic location today. We get in the car, and within TWO miles of home, a bird decides that the car is just too shiny. It dropped a souvenir onto the front of the hood, which then streaked all the way up the hood, onto the windshield wiper, onto the windshield, onto my driver's side window, then onto the quarter panel. I hadn't even gotten TWO MILES out of it! I had to turn around, wash that stuff off, and then go back for the picture.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I too used NXT for the first time yesterday. Terrific stuff! Cut out all old swirls and minor scratches and left a spectacular shine. Now, we'll see how long it lasts . . .

01bee

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just finished using the NXT, easy on, easy off, and shine looks pretty nice.

Toronto_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What do the guys at Zaino have to say about the Meguirs NXT. Is it completely safe for the paint and how long does it last

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score

IMO, ANYTIME you use the claybar and appply ANY wax over it, the results are stunning. All these different are basically the same, diff blends of carnuba, etc.

Try using the ClayBar and the cheapest wax you can find. YOu'll LOVE the results..

Gerald

G is right ....I am not an expert...but I take pride in having a SWIRL FREE 02 FE GTS!!! I Just spent 40+ hrs. doing it the right way..instead of hiding the swirls, imperfections, etc. You have to use a porter cable with 3m fine cut and 3m glaze...take the time and do it right...You will actually enjoy doing it!

I think the jury is still out on the NXT polish...It is apparently full of silicone, which hides imperfections temporarly...Durability is the biggest concern, lasting a short time...compared to others.

If you ever want to hide headlight lens cover scratches or any swirls just wipe some silicone or oil based product on it and it is HIDDEN..but still there. Even WD-40 works. It will even hide scratches in your wrist watch lens...Temporarly!

I have used all of the products, and am very particular about my Viper. I have tried Mothers, Zaino,Pinnacle, Meguiars, Liquid Glass, etc...

Zaino is hard to beat(shine and durability) and Pinnacle is close. And ALWAYS take the porter cable at 3000 rpms to buff that zaino and pinnacle polish, THEN spray z-6 or Pinnacle and buff again...NO PRESSURE with a WHITE Finishing Pad.

Gotta LOVE the smell of Zaino Spray and Pinnacle! Like rasberry and coconuts!!! :D

Best,Dave :usa:

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What do the guys at Zaino have to say about the Meguirs NXT. Is it completely safe for the paint and how long does it last

Duh..what do you think they are going to say about someone elses product????????????? :crazy:

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sorry to find this thread so late.

Here is a link to the Meguiars/Viper detail clinic.
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=642

My first experience with NXT
http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32378

If you have Gen 1 YELLOW you MUST try this stuff!!!!!!!!!!!! :2tu:

453IMG_0862-med.JPG

greatbeyond

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I used to be a Zaino guy till I found out about Pinnacle Souveran. IMO it's the best wax you can use for red and black finishes. With all the hype about NXT I tried it on my Black Mercedes last week. Although the results were very nice (better than zaino and meguires gold class), I wouldn't compare them to Pinnacle Souveran, which for me is still the undisputed king of gloss and wetness. However for the price NXT is not far behind.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score

After 2 weeks of NXT, I have mixed feelings. It does go on very easy and the shine is very good. Dust sticking / attraction seems to be more than I was hoping for. Easy to remove the dust with a Cali Duster, but one of the advantages many have reported with Zaino is the fact that it does not attract dust.

I have not tried Zaino to this point - mainly because I don't feel like spending and entire weekend applying the several coats and the dry time required. I know that Zaino has the new ZFX flash cure - but it seems a little ridiculous to me that they are charging so much extra for a product that should be standard in the Z-2, Z-3, or Z-5.

Looks like the hunt for the perfect polish/wax continues.

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score

I have been using the NXT for about 3 months now, in fact I have even posted earlier in this thread and still stand by what I said, It is the easiest wax I have used and the shine is awesome. I will have to also admit that I beleive the dust attraction factor seems to have gone up since using NXT which leads me to beleive as some others have posted there are silicones present. I know alot of us dont like to mix products but I am trying the Zaino spray in between to see if it helps reduce the dust factor. I happen to like the Zaino spary better than NXT spray. More results to come.

Mike Phillips

Enthusiast
Reaction score

According to a Meguiar’s' Rep that posts regularly on another discussion board, NXT contains both an abrasive and silicones. Lots of silicone.

Hi Matt,

The Rep. Matt's referring to is me. Matt for whatever his reasons, seems to want to convince everyone that Tech Wax is a coarse cutting compound, chocked full of silicones.

That’s not true, and I pointed that out to Matt in a post on Autopia, I guess Matt either didn’t read that, forgot about that or thinks I’m lying. Whatever the case, it appears Matt wants to position Tech wax in a negative light for whatever his own personal reasons are. That’s his business.

First of all, Meguiar's is famous for their diminishing abrasives, not coarse cutting compounds.

Second, Tech Wax contains a very, very sleight amount of a highly specialized cleaner. The chemists won't tell me much about it because what's important is the results you get when you use the product. But one thing for sure, the only people that make a big deal about it are the people that use something else and for whatever their reason, they want to scare people from using this awesome new product. Any cleaning ability that Tech Wax does have is minimal, and the best thing about it is whatever it is that the ingredients in this product do, the results look great, plain and simple.

Abrasives do not make paint look good, that’s a fact. So common sense tells you that the negative information being posted about this product just doesn’t bear out in the real world, no matter how hard someone tries to spin it.

As far as silicones go, Meguiar's started out making only products that are silicone free for the OEM and the Refinishing business, nobody knows that side of the industry better. But when it comes to cured paint, silicone doesn't hurt or harm anything, just more scare tactics.

The best thing to do, is to use the product for yourself and make up your own mind. It's good to get the opinions of friends, but in the long run, it will be your own two eyes that determine what looks good in your eyes.

Matt, send me your shipping address and I'll send you some cleaner/wax. It's a lot more aggressive on the cleaning ability than Tech Wax and it too contains some silicones.

Here’s another Viper I removed the scratches with using diminishing abrasives in our compounds and our cleaner/polishes, (Viper paint is as hard as nails, some of the hardest paint I have ever come across in fact), and then afterwards, applied the Tech Wax to for flawless results.

Red Viper I compounded, polished and waxed this last Saturday in front of about 30 people

The below picture is actually the owner removing the second coat of Tech Wax we layered on his Viper's finish.

You must be registered for see images attach

Mike

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Goodness Mike...I have done no such thing...please re-read my post above...I have never said that NXT contains COARSE abrasives, nor meant to imply that it was a rubbing compound. As far as silicones are concerned...we have differing opinions. I'll even re-phrase the silicone comment to "as much as 10% silicone".

With all due respect, I referred to you as a "knowledgeable guy", and wanted readers to know that you are employed by Meguairs. I never saw a fish salesman screaming, "rotten fish!". I would expect you to take a "pro-Meguiars' role, as you should.

Regardless of the severity of the abrasives, I try to avoid them as often as possible. Why cut down any amount of paint unless it is necessary? There is only so much paint thickness on a vehicle, something like 4 to 6 mils. That's two to three trash bag thicknesses, if you buy the good 2 mil ones.

As I have said before, I have many Meguairs' products, use the Meguairs' Cleaner-Wax on my trailer, and think it does a good job. For obvious reasons, I want to use a one-step product on a vehicle that large. The more agressive cleaning gets off the water streaks and brings back some shine.

My reason for posting with the Autopia link was to shed more information, and some other's thoughts. I added no more commentary.

Mike, I see this is your first post here...welcome.

One more thing...if there is ever one of the Meguiars clinics near Philly...I'll be there. I'd like to see what they are all about.

Mike Phillips

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Goodness Mike...I have done no such thing...please re-read my post above...I have never said that NXT contains COARSE abrasives, nor meant to imply that it was a rubbing compound. As far as silicones are concerned...we have differing opinions. I'll even re-phrase the silicone comment to "as much as 10% silicone.

Hi Matt,

Thank you for the welcome! After buffing out three Viper's recently, and a plethora of Corvettes, I have been bitten by the bug to get one of each. My wife and I actually went and looked at a 2002 Torch Red Corvette, I know that's probably blasphemy here, but it was at a local dealership. Point being, powerful muscle cars that only hold two people are becoming enticing to me the more I work on them. (I owned a ****** Drag V-Drive Drag boat for 19 years, kind the same thing, except on the water).

As to the abrasives comments, I know you didn't say Tech Wax was a coarse abrasive, and I actually didn't post that you said that, it just seems like some of your posts seem to focus on that aspect, as well as the silicone aspect when these two ingredients are the least influential ingredients in the product.

One of my jobs at Meguiar’s is to answer questions to the best of my ability, and to correct wrong information. For example, a few months ago, there were a couple of people posting to the Internet that Tech Wax was simply #20 Polymer Sealant with a different scent. These people were completely off-base and incorrect with those statements, and to no surprise, one person is a Zaino Distributor who has never tried Tech Wax, (that I know of), and the other person didn't actually say Tech Wax was #20 Polymer, but he inferred it, and he is pretty vocal about recommending Zaino, so I wasn't surprised.

As far as the ingredients go, our chemists just aren't going to tell me anything important. They know I get asked all kinds of questions about our products and what's inside of them, but their response to for people to try the product and decide for themselves whether or not they like the results.

I understand there are people that do not want to use products with cleaners, or abrasives,(in Meguiar's case, if it's an abrasive it is a diminishing abrasive that breaks down as you use it, it's not like "rocks in a bottle"), or silicones, or even petroleum distillates. But there are two things at play here, one is personal choice based upon conviction and sound information and the other is personal choice based upon a lack of good information and scare tactics.

It's hard to dispel bad information because it's hard to get good reliable information, even for me.

But here's one thing, if the ingredients in a Meguiar’s product like the Tech Wax did not provide a benefit to the paint and/or the end-user, the chemist wouldn't put them in the formula. Meguiar’s has been in business long enough and is diversified enough to know when to include an ingredient, and when to not include an ingredient. Tech Wax works great for a majority of the people that try it. So whatever the chemist put inside the bottle, it's appears to be working. (No pun intended)

While I don't get out your way, if there is enough interest by local Viper owners in SoCal, I have May 15th available for a Viper Detail Day at Meguiar's.

Available Date at Meguiar’s

If there is enough interest, then I'll reserve that day for Viper owners, and if you want to fly out here on your dime, I'll put you up and feed you for the event.

How's that sound?

Mike

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Whats happening Mike? I would like to thank you again for the opportunity to try NXT on Meguiars dime. I cannot express enough thanks for everything you sent me. I am sure you have seen my post on CF and know that I was dissapointed with the results that I got from NXT. I actually liked the cleaners/mild abrasives it contains but was dissapointed in the longevity and looks I received compared to what I have been using in the past (Zaino). As I stated in my CF post this is pollen season in the NE and realize pollen is very acidic but would have expected to get more than 2 or 3 weeks out of NXT. I realize looks are subjective but on my black vehicles it seemed to give me more of a milky/carnuba like look compared to Zaino that makes my car look as if it just rolled out of the spray booth. I have tried numerous methods of application, removed zaino first, gone over zaino, gone over #82, applied with pc and LC finishing pad, used colorX first etc... so I don't think it is possible that I have done anything wrong. I am not saying it is a bad product as it is far from that but it doesn't compare with the looks or durability of Zaino IMHO. I will continue to experiment with it and see if once this pollen stops it will last a little longer. What type of Quick Detailers are compatable with it? I have tried Pinnacle Crystal Mist, Z6 and Meguiars (prof line, I think its final finish, tan bottle) over it in small areas with no ill results but wonder what you recommend?

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow Mike, a very generous offer. Thanks very much.

If Englishtown Raceway Park had not moved the Mopar Atlantic Nationals date from the first weekend in June to May 15 & 16, I'd be there.

I seem to remember one of your events somewhere out this way, PA/NJ/DE area, but that I did not know about it until it was over.

Mike Phillips

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Let's get one going...

My problem is I'm busy almost every single Saturday through November.

Mike

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Let's get one going...

My problem is I'm busy almost every single Saturday through November.

Mike

I would be interested in attending an event also if it was close to Phila area. I am sure alot of people from the NorthEast Corvette forum would also be interested. You don't want to come here Nov thru March though. ;-)

_Niz_

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I learned a ton on that day and there is another one planned for sept (I think) I will be there also to learn more!!

256000_0115.jpg

256000_00117.jpg

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I took the bait. I bought some NXT today. I will post my results later this week. I looked at a 135 Vipers at Tators this weekend , and they all looked pretty shiny to me...I think we are all splitting hairs on this issue...00Prowler

Mighty GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I was at Tator's as well this weekend. I have more wax and polish, etc. Than you can shake a stick at. Meq. Zaino, Pinnacle, etc. They all work pretty good as was referenced above on the spitting hairs issue. My favorite is the Pinnacle line, but it is pricey. My car stood with
the rest of the "queens" at Tator's and held its own. My viper has 26K miles and I drive it as frequently as possible. Some of the "outstanding" cars at Tator's probably have less than 5K miles on them and are never driven in rush hour traffic, like to work for instance.

I would love to have a Meguiar's Day in the NE as soon as
possible. As far as my shine, time and money are not important too me. I actually enjoy polishing my car. Tell your buddies that, they'll think your Freakin' crazy.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mikes previous Meguiars/Viper day was a huge success. While it was somewhat commercial, the information on clay, motorized application/removal, microfiber towels etc, was excellent.
While most of us came away amazed at the shine we could achieve, with not too much effort, the NXT line of products was obviously world class.
Mike is an asset to the Meguiars company, and shared his knowledge freely with the Viper owners.
While the WAX WARS will probably rage forever, those who attended came away favorable impressed with the company, and it's products.

_Niz_

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well said Paul...I agree totally!!

It was a great learning experience and Im sure Mike Phillips would do it for anyone, anywhere, anytime. Like you said "shared his knowledge freely" and no pressure involved to buy or anything. Just a very giving company wanting to get their message out there and TEACH people how to USE the products.