MGW GTS Gas Cap Installation - how hard?

Viperguynick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I just read fully through the instructions on the chrome MGW Gas Cap for my GTS, and it sounds a little daunting. I want to make sure I don't damage anything during the installation, and it seems like that might be a possibility when pulling the filler neck back up using that included hook. How difficult is it really for those who have done it? I know sometimes people say things are easy, and they really aren't, but the instructions make this sound super difficult, even though it doesn't seem like it should be.

Any tips or pointers?

Thanks,

:usa: Nick :usa:

OP
OP
V

Viperguynick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok cool, thanks guys. It was more of a "I need to put my mind at ease" thing before I try it. I am going to attempt it tomorrow.

What's the best thing to do with the stock cap? It's fairly tarnished, but I could polish it up. I'll probably end up keeping it, as I would like to be able to return it to stock, but are they worth very much?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
On my first one, I made sure that I had a nearly full gas tank(i.e. less fumes to ignite with a spark), grounded myself...especially when using the provided steel rod, wore a nomex hood & gloves, had two fire extinguishers handy ...and it went well!! :)

Our other two were a breeze, as it was when helping a friend with his.

As you can tell, caring for burns in my "professional youth" made a BIG impression on me !

Using a lubricant on the rubber gasket was a life-saver. As I recall, Zaino detailer was the type that I used...based on recommendations found here in the late 1990's.

OP
OP
V

Viperguynick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lube is the difference between a frustrating job and an "whew that was easy" job.

:D I'll make sure to heed those words of wisdom!

They actually include some Zaino AIO to use on the rubber gasket. I just got the Viper out of hibernation to get it detailed and ready for putting the plates on it next week, and I can't wait to get the cap on!

Thanks all!

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once I got the MGW bolted on it was less than five minutes to pull the filler neck up through the rubber grommet using their supplied lube and hook, very easy! :) Jeff

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since this thread is talking about the MGW gas cap perhaps one of you could advise:

The screws around the cap are loose and I cannot get them to engage. Any advise?

PS the car came with the MGW cap so I do not have any instructions.

OP
OP
V

Viperguynick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since this thread is talking about the MGW gas cap perhaps one of you could advise:

The screws around the cap are loose and I cannot get them to engage. Any advise?

This was another thing I was worried about. I have not removed the stock cap, so I have not seen yet, but do the machine screws just go into the body material? Or is there some sort of threaded nut behind there. If just into body material, I definitely don't want to strip that out, if you did that to the body material, you'd be screwed (pun intended).

kyjellywhite

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This doesn't sound good. It sounds like the holes are stripped.

Shouldn't be that hard to fix. My car has white plastic nutplates in the holes. Should be relativly easy to tap them out and put some new threads in.

I have changed my cap three times and I never had a problem with them stripping. Good luck!

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like was mentioned, just use some of the zaino tire shine to lub the rubber grommet that is included in the MGW kit. I would also recommend doing the job when it is warm outside... the rubber is more flexible.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Good point about temp...I did ours outside in cool weather...but, I double bagged warm water in Zip-lock bags, let them stay on the rubber gasket for a few minutes...much easier!!

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope your's comes off easier than mine did. Everybody here must have the touch because mine was a ***** to take off!! Seriously. Lots and lots of lube and just for good measure, I put lots of duct tape in and around the cap so I wouldn't scratch anything. Good luck!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang