MGW shifter

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been looking for a MGW shifter for a while but gave up since it had been discontinued, I ordered a B&M only to find out it had been discontinued also.
I still have a B&M on order that I have paid for with Racing Works 4 weeks now, they won't answer any of my emails so I guess I have to refuse payment with Discover to get their attention, but that's another story.

I found a new never installed MGW shifter from a guy who was friends with the guy who made the shifters for MGW and a dealer in Texas.

So tonight I installed it and put a video on you tube.

http://youtu.be/zsI-2Vgevls

I have't driven it yet. Doing some off road motorcycle riding tomorrow so it will be Sunday before I get a chance to take it out.
I'll report them but I like the way it feel standing still.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nice video, i installed a b&m last year, i can tell you have been making trips to harbor freight, sounds like my harbor freight host and I have the same panel pullers from them also that you used to take off the interior trim, nice job

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't watch the whole video. Just a tad boring ! LOL ! My question is, did it fit without doing modifications to the ashtray box in the tunnel? It was posted on this site that the MGW shifter wouldn't work on the Gen IIs because it interfered with the box. If not, I would have liked to have tried it, given some reports that I read.

OP
OP
J

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can not put a Gen III shifter (the one currently available) in a Gen II, But a Gen II shifter has as much clearance as the stock shifter, but the MGW Gen II was discontinued several years ago and are hard to find.

I did drill and hole in the bottom of the ash tray well to get the the bolt but you do that with any shifter unless you want to remove the trans.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can not put a Gen III shifter (the one currently available) in a Gen II, But a Gen II shifter has as much clearance as the stock shifter, but the MGW Gen II was discontinued several years ago and are hard to find.

Thanks for clearing up my confusication. I didn't know that MGW had made a version that was designed for the Gen II in the past !

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If anyone has a Gen II MGW shifter I would love to buy it!

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Jay,

This needs time to break in. As you drive it, it will become less notchy.

Does the Viper use the same transmission as the C5 Corvette? The T-56 I believe?

If so there is a detent that you can add washers to and space out a but to make the effort of shifting less.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Jay,

This needs time to break in. As you drive it, it will become less notchy.

Does the Viper use the same transmission as the C5 Corvette? The T-56 I believe?

If so there is a detent that you can add washers to and space out a but to make the effort of shifting less.

I've done the detent modification and did notice a difference in shifting, It feels smoother. It's not night and day difference, but it's noticeable. There was a thread here about the modification. Will try to find it.

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes I did it on my C5 Corvette with the MGW shifter and agree with your evaluation.

I could have added one more washer to make it even easier. All you would need to know is the size fo the bronse washers to use I think it was 3/16 and add 1 or 2 of them based on preference.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Found it: http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/635713-AntiVenom-transmission-mod?highlight=detent I did this when I did my build last year. I had the rear of the transmission dropped to remove the camshaft (clear the crossbar) and I was able to easily access the bolt on the side of the transmission from under the Viper. Agreed that a 3rd washer might have made a greater difference but I'm pretty happy with my shifting now.

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the vette it is accessible without removing anything but the trans is mounted in the rear and there is a torque tube. Dont think the same is for the Viper. I wouldnt do this on a stock shifter, only for short throw shifters that are extremely notchy. If you add too many washers and space out the detent too far the shifter could possibly pop out of gear is what I have read. I was happy with the lower shifting effort it provided.