Mice, Rat Poison, and Oh He!!

Jim Peffers

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I live on a farm and have an old house that has been added on to and modified several times; Because of this, it is not exactly mouse-proof. This farm is an active farm and we have a lot of livestock and feed and consequently, a lot of mice in the barns. For some reason, this year has been particularly bad (I think the cats feel somewhat overwhelmed). Anyway, since I did not want to leave the Viper out in one of the garages or shops, I modified the house so that I could park the Viper in the sunporch (a semiheated room that is mostly windows). I prepped the car for winter, parked it inside, hooked it to a battery tender, covered it, and just to be safe, put a little rat poison in an inconspicuous corner. Every 2-3 weeks, I start the car, run it up to operating temperature and move it around a little weather permitting (the farm has a huge parking area). Yesterday, I started the Viper as usual, warmed it up and everything seemed fine until I put it away. When I opened the hood, I smelled something - a kind of sweet-waxy smell. The rat poison is in the form of little green cubes and has a waxy texture. I got a strong light and started checking around and found that some d*amn mouse had stored some of the rat poison on top of the engine block beneath the intake manifold and it was melting as I watched. It made a helluva a mess in a very inaccessible spot. The first thing I did was remove some of the larger unmelted chunks with some very long, thin surgical forcepts. As the engine cooled, the stuff solidified and my wife and I were able to break it up using long, thin wooden dowels. We then attached a piece a 1/2" ID Tygon tubing (flexible, transparent tubing that is impervious to almost everything) to the hose of a small vacuum cleaner and sucked out all the little chunks. We then attached a small rag to one of those mechanical grabs (the tool used for retrieving dropped nuts and bolts and other crap from inaccessible locations and consists of a small grab at the end of a flexible shaft) and soaked the rag in kerosene and used it to swab out the spaces on the engine block beneath the intake manifold. What fun! The good news is that the engine is now spotlessly clean and there appears to be absolutely no damage to anything - believe me, we looked! If any of you guys out there are storing any kind of machinery where there is mouse/rat poison, check thoroughly before you start the engine.
usa-clear-s.gif
BURNOUT.gif

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What, you take the "cats" off your car? Don't you know that makes a bad smell when running?? Get a couple of furry ones and put 'em back on!

Double Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim, Jim, Jim!

We solved that problem years ago! And...it works! I know some people can't stand the smell of "moth balls" but neither can the mices!

We learned this when we used to store boats at our shop. Place a few moth balls in the back deck area, couple under each seat, and half a dozen or so in the engine compartment.

No more mices! I promise. Only takes about an hour or so to air the car out at a later time. And, it really does work.

DV
P.s.. Bring Vicky with you next time you drop in. Janni has sent me some great ideas for the paint scheme. Want to see if Vicky can draw up some sketches with what Janni sent.

OP
OP
J

Jim Peffers

Viper Owner
Reaction score
DV, didn't know about the moth balls - will give it a try. Vic and I hope to be down next Saturday.
TOOOFST, Good idea! A member of the Ohio VCA is a distributor for them. His name is Sam Goldfarb (614-836-7934) and will give VCA members a 20% discount. I would have bought one before, but I didn't think I needed it with the car parked in the house - it would appear that I was wrong.
usa-clear-s.gif
BURNOUT.gif