Michelin Pilot Sports......NOT AVAILABLE

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Tirerack.com. They told me that they don't have anymore front tires (275/40-17) and Michelin has no plans to make any more. Bought the Dunlop SP Sport 8000. Are these really the only two tires available to us today. What the heck is it going to be like in 10 years?

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
275 is a widely used tire on other marquees also. The Panoz racing schools also use them on there school cars. Just about every tire barrier at Road Atlanta uses that size also after it comes off the car. Step up to the 285 size and it will fit the rim better plus you can lay the rim on its side and it will not scratch it.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if this has anything to do with it but I just replaced two front tires, Pilot Sports, on my 96 Corvette. It took the small, local tire guy two weeks to get them. I wondered why so long. Perhaps it has something to do with what you are talking about.

mchafin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hoosier Daddy:
275 is a widely used tire on other marquees also. The Panoz racing schools also use them on there school cars. Just about every tire barrier at Road Atlanta uses that size also after it comes off the car. Step up to the 285 size and it will fit the rim better plus you can lay the rim on its side and it will not scratch it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually Panoz uses 285/40 17 not 275's.. And they don't use Michelin's anymore their sponsership deal is with Pirelli.

Mike

shifter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a brand new set of 17" Pilot Sports, front (275) and rear, that I could sell if anyone has an immediate need. I had planned on using them due to some Viper Days events this year, but my personal schedule hasn't allowed me to get out much lately. Only had them 3 weeks now, fronts were on back order and took about 3 weeks for me to get them. Fresh, new, still in original wrapper.

Send an e-mail if interested. Thanks.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
DUNLOP as not the answer........

Michelin Pilot Sport 285s in front is the answer.......

----Bigger footprint for snappier turn in
----Bigger footprint for a bit more front braking modulation
----Wider aggressive stance also protects wheel rim vs curb

Sniper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got the Dunlop 8000's on my car and I'd have to say there's not alot of traction when slamming the gas! I do like the way you can slide around corners with no wheel hop and no squealing!

Robert1994

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are still some out there. Three weeks ago I asked my local Sears store to see if they could get a pair, and they are now on my car. You might try the same thing, I guess they must be warehoused somewhere.