Mile Runs in the Gen IV

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the prior training Ray White has on that runway and that Bad Assss ZR1 ,he will rule the day on the runway.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Better late than never.:D

579 rwhp /510 rwtq

Stock was 527 rwhp /494 rwtq

Hmmm....well, I was expecting to run in the low 180's at the Texas Mile this month but now it's looking like breaking 180 is going to be a challenge. I'm at the same power level as you. I'll be running shorter stickier tires than stock and my car is lowered about 1.25" with Motons. The shorter tires might help a bit with the gearing.

Did you shift easy or were you banging the gears? What rpm did you shift at?

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm....well, I was expecting to run in the low 180's at the Texas Mile this month but now it's looking like breaking 180 is going to be a challenge. I'm at the same power level as you. I'll be running shorter stickier tires than stock and my car is lowered about 1.25" with Motons. The shorter tires might help a bit with the gearing.

Did you shift easy or were you baning the gears? What rpm did you shift at?

I think 180+ is definitely possible. Rolled out in first,6300rpms,firm shifts. Crossed the end at 5750 rpms. Had a 12-15 knot crosswind so about a 7-9 knot headwind down the runway. For the mile up to 600 rwhp looks like 3:73's would be best. With more power than that you probably would run out of gear.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think 180+ is definitely possible. Rolled out in first,6300rpms,firm shifts. Crossed the end at 5750 rpms. Had a 12-15 knot crosswind so about a 7-9 knot headwind down the runway. For the mile up to 600 rwhp looks like 3:73's would be best. With more power than that you probably would run out of gear.

181.4!! :D

You must be registered for see images attach

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
81 is a good number Rev! :)

Made one pass today and ran 185.3!!!! :headbang:

Last edited:

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great run Keith! Is that a record for a N/A Viper?

Do you think a 5th gear mod will allow you to hit 190 mph?

Cheers,
George

Thanks! Don't know about a record. I do believe that the 5th gear mod would put 190 in reach.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You really got to give the Gen IV credit, what other car can win a Car Craft shootout, run 10.7 in the quarter mile, do 185 mph mile runs and run around in stop and go driving with the A/C on?

Most cars that show up to the drags and run 10's are on trailers, run race gas and can barely idle....imagine when someone gets into the computer of these monsters. I bet there is another 40 to 50 hp to be had with tuning, race gas and playing with the camshaft timing. Who will be the first to crack the codes?? :smirk:

Cheers,
George

Viper #53

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Check out the lift on the front end. Air running under the car would hurt top end speed but the rear wing is probably the biggest issue. Great for corners, but...

James

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who needs a 5th gear mod to hit 190? Apparently not a GEN4 Viper!
:D

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy Sh%t!!...that is an awesome speed. Ok, so does this mean that with a lower 5th gear 200 mph is within your grasp?

This has to be some sort of record, right? Any other Viper with a stock block and displacement even get close to this?

Were there any ZR1's running the mile and what kind of speeds did they hit?

Again, congrats on the awesome accomplishment.

Cheers,
George

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy Sh%t!!...that is an awesome speed. Ok, so does this mean that with a lower 5th gear 200 mph is within your grasp?

This has to be some sort of record, right? Any other Viper with a stock block and displacement even get close to this?

Were there any ZR1's running the mile and what kind of speeds did they hit?

Again, congrats on the awesome accomplishment.

Cheers,
George

Thanks George!

There was one ZR1 for sure, possibly two. I don't know what they ran.

I think low 190's with the 2010 5th gear. No way 200.

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
just for the fun of it info..... we ran or stock 08 non-aero coupe up to 190 in 5th the other day. It was more than a mile not sure the distance since we were already cruising at 75 when a diablo came along side. somewhere around 140 in 4th (not much time for looking at speedo) then shifted to 5th and got a hard pull and major speed increase to 190 before letting off, not sure if that was top speed but it was fast enough!

J&R3xV10, You did 190 on a public freeway?????

Last edited:

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just a thought,from a 30 year drag racer, would 6th be better and use the torque from the lower rpm? I have never been over 150 so I am not sure what the rpm drop would be from 5th to 6th at that speed.

The engine may be providing more torque, but at a lower rate, effectively reducing the torque at the rear wheels. Through gearing, at a given speed, torque times times rate determines how fast you accelerate. Torque times rate is power, so you want to be in the gear allowing you to create the most power from the engine, not torque.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess this is the reporting thread to document mods/mph.

TX Mile, March 2010
Best run 180.8 mph
Mods: 2006 coupe with stock engine, stock exhaust manifolds and catalytics. Paxton kit with stock kit pulley, and Magnaflow 3" mufflers.

Also, there was one 100% stock ZR1 there on Saturday (black one). It went 180.1 mph best. At the last event, the quickest stock ZR1 went 185.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess this is the reporting thread to document mods/mph.

TX Mile, March 2010
Best run 180.8 mph
Mods: 2006 coupe with stock engine, stock exhaust manifolds and catalytics. Paxton kit with stock kit pulley, and Magnaflow 3" mufflers.

Also, there was one 100% stock ZR1 there on Saturday (black one). It went 180.1 mph best. At the last event, the quickest stock ZR1 went 185.

Well crap, I didn't know that was you. I watched you make that run.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL! Nice pic of the MPH sign. I checked your car out on Sat, nobody was around. Late afternoon. What offset are those SSR wheels?

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the IV ACR have adjustable coilovers?

If so, drop it as low to the ground as possible once you get there, might kill more of the air resistance & front lift.

Nick

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL! Nice pic of the MPH sign. I checked your car out on Sat, nobody was around. Late afternoon. What offset are those SSR wheels?

Saturday afternoon was the one time I walked to the staging lanes. LOL

Not sure what the offsets are but I can tell you the backspacing is:

7 13/16" front
9 7/16" rear

Measured to the outer edge of the lip.

Fronts are 12" wide edge to edge and rears are 14" wide edge to edge. You should be able to calculate offset from those dimensions.

99FRC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It's crazy what a mildy moded Gen IV can do! 190mph in the standing mile is no joke. I can't wait until they figure out the computer and start upgrading the cam and heads.:omg:

RichieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My last time out I ran 175mph which was a 3 mile improvement over my last outing. My 09 is 100% stock. Keith your 190mph run is incredible with only minor mods. Great driving.

Please allow me to tip my hat to you sir:drive:

I have had my disease(Need4Speed)in check for over a year now. Posts like Keiths will force me call DLM for more power. The pressure oh the pressure.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Amazeing That The Stock Gen4's And Stock 03 Paxtons Are About The Same Speed

RevHeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I ran 167 at the Tx Mile back in Oct 97 with my 96 GTS. Car has Borla exhaust an a K&N FIPK unit. It was really hot that day and the headwind was between 10 - 15mph.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYl9OqNlqUs[/media]

Rev

Last edited:

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My last time out I ran 175mph which was a 3 mile improvement over my last outing. My 09 is 100% stock. Keith your 190mph run is incredible with only minor mods. Great driving.

Please allow me to tip my hat to you sir:drive:

I have had my disease(Need4Speed)in check for over a year now. Posts like Keiths will force me call DLM for more power. The pressure oh the pressure.

Thank you sir! Beer is on me if we ever get the chance to meet. :beer: