Minor Oil Leak + Long Trip = ??? Opinions please

Peter A

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would just take the trip. I have read too many horror stories on this site regarding simple repairs that took weeks because parts took a long time to have delivered.

The leak you describe sounds like you can get there and back with out problem. Just check the oil level at each fill up.

I drove from Atlanta to Las Vegas for VOI 5 and had a great time other then a stiff leg because of the lack of cruse control.

Enjoy!

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I purchased my '94 RT/10 (in October of '99) it a had a very slow leak in the rear main oil seal. The previous owner had rarely driven the car which was the likely cause of the problem. As it turns out, the leak sealed up after I drove it for a few hundred miles. Just something to consider. Good luck.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You did NOT say where the leak is located in your 96 RT/10...Let us assume it is a main seal, rear or front....

perhaps Heresy Follows.....but this is what I would do:

Do you plan to drive conservativeley? ie posted speed + 10-20?

I would definitley take the 5500 mi trip.....beginning it with a fresh oil change of 10w-40...... Valvoline! Take a Mobil One or NAPA-Gold filter with you.

I would examine the symtom after 2000 miles, and change oil again. Come back on Mobil One ONLY if the leak was stopped. If not, try Valvoline once more. Then, use a petro-oil every 4th change or so, for 1500-2000 miles.

Thats what I would do. That's what I have done.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21