misfire code

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wondering what causes a misfire code. I had three so far. cleared and it was fine then it came back on a week later or so. Just wondering where to look. I got the error code last night after I left the drag strip on my way home. Any thoughts on this???:(

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The Year Matters
The Code Matters

cam sensors, crank sensor, plugs, wires, coils, etc etc

tzortzViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just wondering what causes a misfire code. I had three so far. cleared and it was fine then it came back on a week later or so. Just wondering where to look. I got the error code last night after I left the drag strip on my way home. Any thoughts on this???:(

Does it happen on the same cylinder?

OP
OP
C

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The code is P0300 code on an my 04. The car does not change in performance but it is getting a multi misfire code. I got the code twice yesterday on the way to the track driving normal and comming home from the track. It does not seem to change the performance of the car but I would like to know what is causing it. Does anyone know how to look deeper into this. My tech guy says it's probably nothing serious but, I would like it not to continue.

ViperLSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is my suggestion. Clear the code. I know you've done this a few times already. Clear the code while the car if off. Turn the key off for 2-3 minutes. Start the car and let it run idle for about 30 minutes.

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My sister had a misfire code in another Dodge product, a Ram, and it turned out to be fouled plugs.:dunno:

I think you just need to drive it a little harder.:D

In all seriousness though, plugs and wires is an easy start, well, the plugs anyway.:crazy2:

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive had that same code as well.

I would personally just buy new plugs and change them out. Changeing the plugs on a gen3 is VERY easy. Just make sure you dont strip the wires when you remove the boot. This is also very easy.

If the problem dosent go away then test each wire.

If it's going away for days at a time then most likely just a foul plug or maybey you just need to make sure the boots are on tight.

OP
OP
C

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have fairly new wires that I had purchased from Parts Rack a couple of years back. I am going to change the plugs out this Sunday.

OP
OP
C

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The latest on the P0300 code... I changed the plugs, checked my Magnacor wires and they seemed good only on the car for a couple of years. I drove to the track and no light I made one pass on the strip and drove home a couple hours later. On the way home the light came on. (bummed) I cleared the light and went out for a ride about 50 miles the light came on again about 48 miles later. I do wish the code was more detailed and would tell me what was up. I was not pushing the car just driving normal. I wonder where to look next. 2004 srt

OP
OP
C

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Year Matters
The Code Matters

cam sensors, crank sensor, plugs, wires, coils, etc etc
P0300 is the code Multi misfire 2004 srt I did change the plugs and it seems a longer period between the code but it did reappear. I have good wires that I bought form you Magnacor and they seem to be in perfect shape. Is there a way to check sensors? The car seems to run fine and my tech told me not to be concerned but, I need to find the source of the problem. I wish the code was a bit more detailed.

OP
OP
C

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I finally got this code thing figured out.... I found the plug on the PCM closest to the steering wheel slightly ajar. I noticed that the clip is snapped so it must have vibrated loose. Not enough to come out but I think this may have been the issue with my P0300 code. Since I pushed it back in tight and cleared the code It weems to be corrected. I took it to the track to see and ran 11.7 1/4 mile. I was pleased to not see that engine light.

tzortzViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well I finally got this code thing figured out.... I found the plug on the PCM closest to the steering wheel slightly ajar. I noticed that the clip is snapped so it must have vibrated loose. Not enough to come out but I think this may have been the issue with my P0300 code. Since I pushed it back in tight and cleared the code It weems to be corrected. I took it to the track to see and ran 11.7 1/4 mile. I was pleased to not see that engine light.

Have you changed the engine mounts? Or , have you changed anything to the clutch that could cause eccentric vibration to the flywheel?
Has happened to me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes I have changed the mounts and the clutch but, I don't think that was the problem. I see the clip latch is cracked. From what I can see it is neary impossibe to replace so I am going to make some type of bracket that will keep light pressure on it.

Have you changed engine the mounts? Or , have you changed anything to the clutch that could cause eccentric vibration to the flywheel?
Has happened to me.

tzortzViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yes I have changed the mounts and the clutch but, I don't think that was the problem. I see the clip latch is cracked. From what I can see it is neary impossibe to replace so I am going to make some type of bracket that will keep light pressure on it.

If it still persists, I would perform a Misfire TEC relearn procedure, to correct any possible error by the new flywheel or the clutch.

Hope it helps.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Had the exact same problem on my Gen 3. PCM plug was slightly loose. Was getting misfire codes as well as intermittant loss of cam or crank sensor code.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok could be because your drag racin this car when it happens? poor fuel- weak valvesprings- vacume leak- - pissy plugs- poor ignition cables- if this only happens when your running the holy **** out of it, start eliminating these in you head-:rolleyes:

OP
OP
C

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats exactly what I did. good fuel ( chevron) no vacuum leaks new plugs and Magnacor wires. It does not happen on the track. In my earlier post the pcm cable seemed a bit loose. Seems ok now.

ok could be because your drag racin this car when it happens? poor fuel- weak valvesprings- vacume leak- - pissy plugs- poor ignition cables- if this only happens when your running the holy **** out of it, start eliminating these in you head-:rolleyes:

OP
OP
C

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
interesting that you got the cam amd crank codes as well but, it was just not as tight as it should have been and as many wires that go into that plug who knows where they all go.

Had the exact same problem on my Gen 3. PCM plug was slightly loose. Was getting misfire codes as well as intermittant loss of cam or crank sensor code.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sometimes with misfire codes you will get a cam sensor code thrown with it- false code though

MY600HP

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Correct! Have the dealer clear TEC (Tooth Error Correction) and do an on road re-learn. Accelerate to about 4000 rpm in 2nd gear and then off throttle decel to 2000 rpm. My guess is that will clear up your problem.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang