Misshifts

carmined

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Since I bought my 06 Viper in February, I haven't had much experience with it. I have one question on shifting.

I noticed it is very easy to miss and go from 3rd to 2nd instead of 3rd to 4th if you are not paying attention. Is this common or should I have the linkage looked at or adjusted? I don't want to wind out in 3rd, shift and blow the motor. :drive:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. It is common.

2. What Dave said.

3. Woodhouse mounts. ( There will be a more vibration at first ( It will subside quite a bit after about 200 miles) and a bit more noise transmitted into the center console area but the benefit of the change is well worth it,)

4. MGW short throw shifter with MGW knob. ( There are twodifferent knobs. Look at them on the MGW site.) The short throw shifter is not on the site but uou can also get it from Woodhouse.

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I too recommend the MGW short throw shifter and knob......have them on my 05, and truly makes it much easier to throw the right shift into the right gear.

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is also a hand placement technique that will help. For the 3-4 shift, reposition your hand and use a 'thumb down' position. It will naturally apply presure toward 4th gear. Give it a try.

OP
OP
C

carmined

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bob, how do you get the signature lines at the end of your posts, cant find it in the CP?

The thumb down technique sounds good, if I can remember to do it when I am zipping along.

DEKE01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Since I bought my 06 Viper in February, I haven't had much experience with it. I have one question on shifting.

I noticed it is very easy to miss and go from 3rd to 2nd instead of 3rd to 4th if you are not paying attention. Is this common or should I have the linkage looked at or adjusted? I don't want to wind out in 3rd, shift and blow the motor. :drive:

It happened to me on a track trying to accelerate down the main straight. It isn't good to be doing 120 mph and drop into second. Fortunately I caught it before I seriously over-revved.

With a bit of practice, it is no longer a problem for me. Instead of puting my hand on the right side of the shifter and pulling down (that can put enough pressure to pull left and drop to 2nd vs 4th) I put my hand more on the left side of the shifter before I pull to 4th. Never a problem since then and a lot cheaper than new shifters and mounts.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob, how do you get the signature lines at the end of your posts, cant find it in the CP?
The thumb down technique sounds good, if I can remember to do it when I am zipping along.

Go to "User CP". On the left is a list of functions. One of them allows you to edit your signature.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog