Mixing Dunlops and Michelins....bad idea?

Denny Wagner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Viper Bro's......I've been away for a while (personal crapola) but now I'm back with a question. I just installed 2 new Dunlop SP SPORT 8000's (335/35/ZR17) on the rear, and left the like-new Michelin XGTZ's on the front. I had to get something quickly for state safety inspection, and my tire guy couldn't locate the Michelins for me in time. Anyway, now it seems to get "caught" in the tire indentations in the road made by tractor trailers, and is a bit difficult to drive. It tracks straight as an arrow on the highway. Have any of you guys had a problem mixing brands, or am I the only stupid one to do so? Hey...anyone wanna buy these new Dunlops with less than 50 miles on them? :headbang:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Generally mixing brands is a bad idea as they react differently under varying conditions...not necessarily in a predictable fashion.

Might try same type of Dunlaps on the front.

In any event, DITCH the old XGT's as, by now, they are nearing dangerous age !!!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I concur. Ten year old tires should not be used, regardless of remaining tread depth. The do not mix brands and types of tires is a good practice. Handling characteristics may end up being unpredictable. Something that a Gen I really does not need. BTW an alignment with 1995 specifications will help the tire rut aspect some. Doesn't eliminate it but the 92-94 alignment was scary for street driving.

99BLKRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I came sooooooo close to doing this when I had a front blow out. I'm glad that I did not because I would have felt guilty everytime I ever saw my car. I forked up the extra dough and got another Pilot Sport.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mixing the tires wouldn't bother me....it's the 10 years that may be a problem. I run the Michelins on the front and Kuhmos on the rear. All Vipers track the grooves.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From personal experience, I hate the Dunlops. When I had a mustang, i replaced my OEM tires with the SP8000's, and I felt _every_ bump. forget the tractor trailers, wait until you hit uneven pavement. Or worse, grooved pavement.

If 2 SP 8000's are bad, 4 will be worse.

JD