Moaning and groaning power steering.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just drove 276 miles to Vegas. ( My new home)

I have not had a chance to check under the hood. ( Until the AM)

I can feel the moans and groans in the steering wheel.

Anything I can visually check?

Vegas guys who do you use for service?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
constant or only when the fan kicks into a higher speed? Generally when the fan kicks into a higher speed, you can feel it in the steering wheel a little bit.

OP
OP
N

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
usaf0016... Fluid level is right on. No signs of leaks.

Final GTS.... I will update next time I take it out. I have never felt it like this in the steering wheel.

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I began to feel the pump kick in when the fan came on after I put in the lower temp thermostat. Usually happens if im in traffic and/or sitting for a while.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For service, I recommend Integrity Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep; see Steve Ward, the service advisor and ask for Phil Davis who is a certified Viper mechanic and a member of VCA.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There have been recalls on some year vipers concerning the power steering and the hydraulic fans. I would call Chuck Tator as he has all the info on this subject.

Robbie

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yes, VERY important to check this issue. See our archives for details.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
(2004 cars not involved in the PS recall, I'm a step ahead here)

Newport- let the car sit in a parking lot and kick the A/C on high. If you turn the wheel while in the lot, do you get the noises you were noticing? If yes, it is normal and just resulting from the cooling fan being hydraulic, totally normal. Should feel a slight "buzz" and maybe what could be called a groaning noise.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Newport...what is the color of your P.S. fluid? Hopefully, it is NOT the older "clear" P.S. fluid...as it needs to be the newer, red ATF+4 Steering fluid.

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Newport...what is the color of your P.S. fluid? Hopefully, it is NOT the older "clear" P.S. fluid...as it needs to be the newer, red ATF+4 Steering fluid.

I was doing some spirited driving yesterday when I noticed a buzzing sound under the hood when I revved the motor. Popped the hood and saw that a small amount of power steering fluid (the clear kind) had sprayed out from under the cap. The cap itself was still in place. I let the car cool down a bit and the sound went away. I did another two hours of highway driving at normal speed and everything seemed fine.

Would switching to the "red fluid" prevent this from happening again?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
SADLY, some 04's and 05's have indeed had their P.S. system filled with the old "clear" Mopar P.S. fluid...BECAUSE their on-line data base (even for 2006) tells them to use the WRONG fluid.

As has been discussed, pushed, and rehashed MANY times here...check the P.S fluid on YOUR Gen III's...it changed to "red" ATF+4 starting in 2004...as noted in the owners manuals. SMART techs (such as Tom Sessions) recommends changing the post recall 2003's to the newer ATF+4 as well.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I added a tune and the fans come on earlier now....it seems to be over working my power steering a bit - fluid came out the cap but I've yet to install the thermostat.

I'll get the t-stat in and I want to flush the fluid out.

Anyone know the power steering fluid flushing procedure?

thanks

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI, MY 06 is doing the same moan and grown. I took it in, and the dealership was clueless in resolving it. They are supposed to call me back. It might require a whole new rack and pump. But Definitely an 06 is having this SAME issue.

I really hate these new coupes, quality control is $HIT on them. I am really worried about the 08s with so much stuff changed, I can only imagine how many issues that first year is going to have, especially if Dodge couldnt get the COUPE right after running the same drive line for the previous 3 years.

Nope, no 08 for me thanks!!

Jon

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My power steering was making some noise also, didn't notice it till the power steering pulley shattered, throwing the belt etc. That was a lousy day, flatbed the whole nine yards.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI, MY 06 is doing the same moan and grown. I took it in, and the dealership was clueless in resolving it. They are supposed to call me back. It might require a whole new rack and pump. But Definitely an 06 is having this SAME issue.

I really hate these new coupes, quality control is $HIT on them. I am really worried about the 08s with so much stuff changed, I can only imagine how many issues that first year is going to have, especially if Dodge couldnt get the COUPE right after running the same drive line for the previous 3 years.

Nope, no 08 for me thanks!!

Jon

That's a pretty harsh testimonial... first I've heard of poor build quality from someone who is not a newbie/troll. Considering your "Thread Cred" here, it makes me think twice about getting a Gen3.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's a pretty harsh testimonial... first I've heard of poor build quality from someone who is not a newbie/troll. Considering your "Thread Cred" here, it makes me think twice about getting a Gen3.

Not to get off topic, but Ive had a few rattles when top was up, finally after months found a few loose bolts in baclk top area, completely stripped out, removed one bolt, glued another and noise is gone. Other then that, 12K HARD miles and not one trip to dealer. On other hand ,my buddy has been through 2 trannies and now P/S noise too. But I dont think these are bad cars. We have got about the only cars you can drive and mod like we do, take to the track one day and drive to work the next. Usually problem free. GEN 1/2/3 , I wouldnt consider any other car for how "I" drive.:2tu: :drive:

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought my 06 Coupe new in March, had to have a new power steering pump put in it this month. My symptom was a whine sound when I hit 3K rpm and a slightly above average engine temp. Haven't had any problems with the new pump yet.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I appeciate you noting that I am not a troll. I mean after all, I bought myself a 2002 ACR new 5 years ago, 2 years ago, I bought my dad a New 05 SRT-10 and last year I bought me a new 06 Coupe. So if you cut me, I definitely bleed Viper red. But I have to say, build quality is really **** on these damn cars. How come there are threads about how to jury rig the trunk release poper so it will work (because anyone who owns a 06 coupe is going to have this problem, im sure of it, at some point or another). And the fix works, I'm glad for that, but should we really have to do a jury rig?

My Window seal had to be replaced, and the replacement one was WORSE, they are now going to replace it again.

My rear end used to make a thud sound, but that went away after using my emergency brake a few times (seemed like the pads were sticking to the rotors).

Dust cover/Rain cover on one of the inner wheel wells dissapeared, had to order a new one.

SCREWS come out of this thing LEFT AND RIGHT from the side sills and the rear diffuser. We have replaced at least 10 so far. (The dealership is talking about getting me a bag of them so I can replace them myself as needed).

One of my horns went out.

Radio Amp would cut off if you listened to the music too loud. (this was a major issue, then after time and break in, now it doesnt cut off any more).

Stock Radio (before converting to RB1 NAVI) would act crazy sometimes messing up CDs

Rear trunk was delivered with a crack in the trunk lid section. (woodhouse said they didnt do it, and I know i didnt do it (found it the second day of ownership), so that leaves Dodge factory.

Rear trunk is rubbing and removing paint on lower trunk section (really nice quality control dodge).

Clutch had air in it for the first 4-5k miles, it eventually worked itself out, no more spungyness.

Window on the drivers side would catch on the top if I opened the door quickly. (a PCM/Body control update from the dealership eventually fixed it).

Alarm would go off for no reason.

The brakes on my car arent as "responsive" as dads 05.

I'd have to look at the rest of my fix-it list from the dealership to remember it all.. but those are the ones that just came from the top of my head.

I'm a realist. I'd like other people to give true accounts of their experiences too, so everyone can make an informed decision. Do I hate my car? No way, just last night, I took it out and had a good time with it. But I sure didnt spend that kinda cash to have my car in the shop as much as it has been. Its kinda dissapointing.

So no, I dont think I'm going to be ordering an 08. I think after I put this one through its paces (currently has 13k miles on it, probably will sell it around 60k miles), I'll be buying a New P car or a Lambo.

My Dad loves his 05, but he has a differential thats sloppy (doesnt do posi anymore) and he had a speaker go out on him (within a 1000 miles) and his foot rest rusted shortly after delivery. But dad has 35k miles on his car, and nothing super major.

Thats my feedback, shell me if you must, but I have always been in support of these cars, and I still love Vipers, still get excited when I see one (whether I am in mine or not), but I think Dodge needs to get back to its center and focus on our cars. These are amazing cars, they need to be built accordingly.

Jon

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW--That's the longest complaint list I've EVER read about ANY of the Vipers!!!!! Sounds like you hit a lemon there....had our '05 since '04 and NO manufacturer problems.
Sorry you got hit with all of THIS stuff...wow....juli

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW--That's the longest complaint list I've EVER read about ANY of the Vipers!!!!! Sounds like you hit a lemon there....had our '05 since '04 and NO manufacturer problems.
Sorry you got hit with all of THIS stuff...wow....juli

Keep in mind I also drive mine, 13k on it, also Juli, take a look at this forum, posts about power steering grown, differential knocking sounds, trunk releases that dont work, sure sounds like a lot of people got "lemons" if your definition as such is that you have problems with your viper. Guess my dad has a lemon too, as his wheel sensors didnt work (low tire light, they had to replace a computer to finally fix it), foot rest, non working possi, radio malfuctions, alarm going off issues, and a bad battery. I am remembering more of Dads issues on his 05 now that you got my juices flowing.. lol.

Anyways, I think Dodge F'ed up on quality control as a whole. I mean come on, cam bolt recalls, blown engines in the viper trucks and viper cars, heads that didnt flow well, so they had to recall a number of cars. They had the power steering ball bearing issue that requires radiators and fan controlls to be replaced.

No I'm sorry Juli, I love my family but I have to call a spade a spade, the 03-06 Vipers all had issues, some major, some minor, but a whole a lot more then i would have expected from a leading manufacturer.

Glad to hear your 04 is staying together, I hope thats a long term thing.

Jon

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Jon,
I was empathizing with you and your family about those particular issues...feeling badly for you all that you have them at all!!!! Yeah, I've read others' complaints, but yours was by far the longest, LOL!!! I was NOT trying to say that you were complaining at all...you were just stating the facts, and I was just saying I'm very sorry about all of those problems. We have an '05, and have had no issues...and I'm thinking each car being handmade ups the ante for particular Vipers to have issues--lemons in my words...probably not the best word to apply. I apologize if I seem to have offended you in any way, shape or form, that was NOT my intention...only to empathize with you, that it's gotta be frustrating. My best to you...juli

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Juli. As I dont think my car is a lemon. Its not had engine failure or a cronic problem that the dealership cant fix, its just that its got a bunch of 'from the factory' issues that piss me off every time I have to leave my car with them to get them fixed. Every one of them (except for one) I could have kept driving the car till the wheels fell off without it impacting its reliability to be driven. I dont think our cars are lemons at all, I just think Dodge should step it up on quality control, especially for their marque car (based on my experiences with 2 Gen 3 Vipers I personally bought and posts from fellow owners).

Thats it, thanks for the clarity.

Jon

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm glad you don't think your car or any of the Vipers are lemons, I misspoke, I should not have said 'lemons' at all...it was not my intended remark back to you. I'm glad that you enjoy the car, but really AM sorry about the annoying/frustrating problems, and having to bring it back for service is a PIA for sure!!! Especially factory problems...hope all has been covered under warranty, and that you get to enjoy your gorgeous BEAST!~! ~juli

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang