Mods-Under Construction/Opinions Please

Richard K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just my opinion... but unless money is no object, I wouldn't get the Mopar stuff. You will get the same if not better performance items from other reputable vendors.

Also forget the 1.7's until you open up the breathing ie; headers and heads. I wouldn't even bother with that Mopar ECM... try Sean Roe's VEC1 if your set on changing it out. The 3:54 gear is the best seat of the pants bang for your buck on that list, and yes you will need a converter box.

Prashant

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are you doing buying all MOPAR stuff? there are much better products out on the market than all that you listed. I hope you are not thinking that your warranty will be ok because the Mopar Rockers, and heads? they are for "OFF ROAD USE ONLY" if you do go will all this I would like to see the Dyno #'s, I don't know anyone that has gone this route.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like you're going down exactly the path I followed
smile.gif
A few words of advice, then:

Do high-flow cats and headers at the same time. Headers alone on your '01 will not net you very much power.
As previously mentioned, MOPAR parts are nonoptimal price/performance. In particular:
* Hennessey, CDI, Belanger and TNT all make excellent headers, and I'd go with one of them.
* Skip the MOPAR ECU. I found no peformance advantage with one on either my bolt-on or my bolt-on+heads+rockers car.
* Skip the rear gears until you finish all your other mods. After I added Hennessey heads to the mix, I was making 515 RWHP & 525 RWTQ, and I couldn't maintain rear traction in 1st with even the stock rear gears.
* Add a lightweight AL flywheel to your list. Excellent bang/buck. I believe Roe Racing has the best pricing on these right now, although Parts Rack will probably match it
smile.gif

* If you're going to do heads, and want a bit more top end, add a cam to the mix. Even a stock '96 cam would be a big improvement over the '01 cam you've currently got.
* Pass on the MOPAR heads. As previously mentioned, there are a number of tuners who do excellent work with stock heads, and you'll save a bunch of money. Most of them work on an exchange basis as well, so you won't have a lot of downtime.

Finally, change your handle. You're no longer bone stock
smile.gif

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You really need to explain your intentions behind these proposed modifications.
Do you intend to drag race, autocross, or open circuit track the car? - or will the car be used on the street only.
Know what your intentions are will then help folks give you precisely the advice you seek.
Gavin

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21