MOMO steering wheel vs airbag

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im wanting to put a MOMO millenium style steering wheel in. anyone here ever remove the stock wheel and air bag? how difficult is it?

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just removed mine and it's no big deal at all. Remember to tape the gold ABS connector in case you ever want to reinstall.

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Momo Commando steering wheel in my GTS. Not hard - just pull the airbag and stock wheel, put on the Momo hub, wire the horn and your good to go.

Looks and feels 100x better.

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wondering why you dont want the factory airbag anymore? i would keep the airbag and trade off the better looking steering wheel for safety.
Im sure the MOMO looks nice though.

Max

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have pictures of an installed momo wheel? Also procedures for removing the factory unit and sources for
the momo wheel and hub? Thanks

OP
OP
V

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the reason im not concerned with the airbag for safety; ive been a doc in an emergency center now for over seven yrs, ive yet to see a case come in where the airbag actually saved a life. most airbag deployment scenarios we see are actually detrimental to the driver as opposed to having been beneficial. now, im not saying they cannot help in certain instances, obviously they can and they do. so can simply not driving period. calculated risks, paying attention to your surroundings, knowing your (and your vehicles)limits, and common sense. those things are always better than seatbelts and airbags. all my opinion only.

so, i guess im just willing to take a wild crazy risk like all those insane drivers across the world have done since the beggining of automobiles up to the inititation of airbags and drive without one. sometimes you gotta wonder; eventually, whats going to keep you safe from safety, LOL

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm with rdustman. I've been thinking about getting a MOMO steering wheel for a long time, but just haven't done it yet. V8Huntr from this board has one on his GTS and it looks great. Personally, I think the design of the current steering wheel is not very ergonomical with the bulky airbag.

I like the looks of the new SRT wheel. It is much "leaner" in the middle and looks MOMOesque. I wonder if it would fit on a GenII?

OP
OP
V

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i just ordered one from the site ruckdr recommended (thnx) and itll be here in a day or two.

ill post pics once i put it in

OP
OP
V

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i ended up ordering the original millenium but it was a tought decision as the silver jet was tempting for a silver rt10. i figured with silver and black leather though, a silver steering wheel would be a bit too much

inVision

Enthusiast
Reaction score
- I know I've seen a couple of MOMO steering wheels with airbags...

- Having been in an accident where airbags were deployed, I would not want to sacrifice that safety for better looks. I don't think the airbag saved my life, but it played a big part in me walking out of the car without a bruise, not even whiplash. So as far as street driven cars go, I recommend keeping the airbag - bad things can happen to even the most attentive drivers.

inVision

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 4 point harness (and 6 point cage) in my Cobra R, and I would think in that case an airbag would be useless, I can't even reach over to the next seat with the harness on. I would think most people wouldn't want to drive around the street with a harness though...

ewave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
InVision said:

"I would think most people wouldn't want to drive around the street with a harness though..."

I do. ALL the time. Always. Yes it is a PITA, but the day that POS SUV makes a left turn in front of me, and I T-bone them, I'll be glad I'm harnessed in...