Mopar Accessory Question

3wide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm the Marketing Manager for Mopar Accessories and the Viper is with in my scope of responsibilities. Currently there is discussion about offering Cruise Control and steering wheel mounted Audio Control Buttons. My questions to the Viper nation is.....Would these be desirable accessories? Do you want them?

Please advise and I'll watch the posts.

Thank you for your time.

Rick Berecz

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldn't want cruise - makes the driving too "passive"

But the steering wheel mounted radio controls might be nice so you don't have to have your hands leave the wheel. I like them in our truck.....

Anything else on the table???

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No to the cruise control, and don't care either way about the radio controls.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definately the cruise control.

I really like having the radio control buttons on my R/T Durango, but I could live without them in the Viper.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now, if you are talking about offering these as standard factory equipment, no. As options or dealer installed aftermarket equipment, you bet. While the SRT is already problematic for track use (no roll bar), the factory addition of more bells and whistles that could add even a little weight is probably not what many Viper owners want. They screamed with the cupholder/ashtray addition, which didn't add weight or any additional failure points to the car. In a nutshell: Keep it simple.

Now, I would also suggest that DC decide who is their target market for this car and where they want it to fit. If they want to continue the Viper as a low-volume street-legal race car with a very defined group of owners, then definitely continue asking the Viper community. If, however, DC would like to win over the Corvette crowd and those that want a more "civilized" sports car, ask somebody besides the current Viper owners. Most current Viper owners seem to shun the extra gadgets and goodies in favor of having a true muscle car. Many potential owners choose other makes such as the Corvette, Ferrari, etc. for that same reason. The bottom line: In a thread from a few years ago the Viper owners strongly spoke out against adding things like you have suggested. Yet many potential owners would like to see the Viper a little more "luxurious" and a little less "rough". This, while some current Viper owners think even the current SRT is too "plush", even though it added virtually nothing to the mix besides the cupholder.

If you make these two items available, then you should also consider the following:

1. Adjustable lumbar support in the seats - which the SRT does not have currently.

2. Speed-sensitive volume control on the stereo. Available in previous Vipers, it is sorely missed by many in the SRT.

3. Factory removable carpet in the trunk. Currently offered as aftermarket only is silly when paying $83,795 for the car itself.

4. Cover for sides of top when stowed in down position. Having all the braces and hinges exposed looks kinda tacky for such an awesome car. Ideally it would match the canvas look of the top itself.

5. Factory floor mats (see #3 above).

6. Outside temperature gauge/compass built into inside mirror (shouldn't add much weight and comes standard on many entry-level cars these days).

7. As long as you are upgrading the stereo controls, add a weather band (found on many Mercedes) and optional XM or Sirius satellite radio. Not much weight to my knowledge.

Do I want these things on my SRT? Not necessarily. I like the pure muscle car feeling of the Viper (always have) and don't want it diluted down with all these extra gadgets. Nevertheless, I can see where some of these would come in handy - while the mat kits are darn near required. I am sure I could come up with many more "handy" items that would benefit those owners and potential owners more inclined to luxury. Just don't ask Chuck With Two Vipers (his Indian name). ;)

Chris

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes to the cruise. I drive between LA and Phoenix and that would make it easier to maintain a constant speed when the CHP/AZ Highway Patrol are pacing me.
The radio controls are not really important to me though. BTW...thanks for asking.

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes & Yes - ideally offered as an option: Cruise Control; steering-wheel-mounted Audio Control Buttons. This would please everyone.

Anything that increases safety in a 500HP exotic needs to be an option, at the least!

I will install an aftermarket cruise control system if this is not an option. I view cruise control as a device that increases safety, as well as being a great preventative for speeding tickets. A Viper that is factory-equipped with cruise control will save me a whole lot of hassle and time.

I also view steering-wheel-mounted Audio Control Buttons as a safety feature, since you can keep your eyes on the road, and keep a proper driving stance while making your selections.

You must be registered for see images

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have radio controls on my Jeep steering and never use it. Can't seem to remember which one does what.

Other than that, yes to everything, which in my book includes cruise, temp, compass, distance to oil change, distance remaining on tank of gas, etc. Cruise reduces the fatigue factor, and temp, compass, and others are just very convenient and sometimes necessary when lost (compass).

John Myrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After driving to and from the last VOI, our zone rendezvous, and the One Lap of America... I would definitely like to have cruise control for every car I own...

So my opinion is that I would like to see cruise control as an option. That way you don't have to order it if you don't want it.

As far as the streering wheel radio controls... I do not recall having ever thought - Gee, I wish I had those steering wheel controls for the radio.

Now the other side of the coin... If you add too many "creature comforts", we might get a bunch of the Corvette weenies switching to Vipers... and we wouldn't want that, would we?

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just drove back from Nebraska, the cars needs cruise control. Is it me or, when driving on a long trip do you guys notice that it is impossible to find a comfortable place to put you're right foot? That was the worst thing about the trip. I'll bet I had my right foot in every position possible. The gas pedal is way up high. So put cruise on the car or rearrange the gas pedal, and that thing you got on the left side to rest you're foot on is a joke. I know you can't make it big and wide like some cars, but how about a little wider. Radio controls are not needed on this car. Most of the buttons you use on the radio are very ergonomically placed, when you're hand is resting on the shifter, or during a gear change. Controls in the wheel would just run the cost up on the car.

Skip White

kenvw

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, to cruise control. It would definetly help in the speeding side as I find myself often going faster without being aware of the speed. This can easily happen even in a short trip when the top is down and your enjoying the breeze and scenery. I often catch myself in the high 70's low 80's which could be better avioded with cruise control. Being a person with a heavy foot I use cruise control in every vehicle I drive to keep the speed at a tolerable level.
Radio controls for me on the steering wheel are not neccessary .

ABADASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cruise control yes, Radio on stearing wheel no, I really like that little thing you rest your left foot on (dead pedal) it works great. but get rid of the gas cap tether and the button to remove the key.

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forget the cruise control and remote radio buttons. How about carpet in the trunk and floors. Also, irrespective of anything the guys might say, I think that the radio is the worst radio I've ever heard. Put a graphic equalizer and speakers in it so that it has midrange and doesn't rattle the entire interior when it's on. I HATE THE RADIO.

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do to people not being able to vote by clearly saying YES or NO, I have decided NOT to total the votes! *chuckle* Good luck on interpreting this thread, Rick! :D

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with many of the posts above. Cruise would be unimportant to me. Same with wheel mounted radio controls. If either were done I would hope it would not clutter the wheel. I like a clean business look to the steering wheel.

This would be my list (sorry Chris as I have copied a lot of yours. Most of these would be expected to be factory installed and either standard equipment or optional (emphasis on standard).

1. Adjustable lumbar support in the seats.

2. Speed-sensitive volume control on the stereo. And a display you can see with the top down.

3. Factory removable carpet in the trunk.

4. Tonneau for the top when stowed. Just plain looks terrible.

5. Factory floor mats. How many owners do not buy these. Who are you kidding?

6. Outside temperature gauge, compass and trip computer built into inside mirror.

7. Clear protective tape in major stone areas of side sills (similar to Gen I/II).

8. A factory hardtop that would allow car use on tracks. This presumes some level of testing to validate its safety.

9. Roll hoops with the structure and height to reduce the need for a roll cage for all but true racing activities.

10. An eyebrow or other device to prevent the reflection of the top gauge.

11. Revised windshield wiper stalk to reduce unintentional operation.

Now, as far as styling related ... (naw I won't go there).

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not agree with "I don't know" being counted as a yes. Mine are qualified to indicate a clean steering wheel is more important. I can just imagine a steering wheel with both cruise and radio controls. Yech!

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes for sure on the radion controls, would be very nice! cruise control, prob would not use it often nice it was there though.

so.

yes and

yes

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This thread is supposed to be YES or NO regarding only two things, not a wish list for everyone. So much for keeping things simple. Heh-heh.

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ye, and yes.

I would also love to have a visor that swivels from front to side. I also agree that the trunk carpet package should be installed as stock and added to the sales price if necessary. (Sorry Daffy)

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Daffy, Daffy, Daffy - nowhere does Rick say he wants a yes or no answer. Indeed, he says, in part:

Please advise and I'll watch the posts.

Sorry, but when the head of marketing comes to you for your advice you had better take advantage of it while you can. He will probably throw his PC out window soon enough. And hey, he is in marketing - do you think that he could hold himself to just a "yes or no" answer if given a similar opportunity? In a word, NO. :) Don't forget that this board has an actual polling feature if you so choose (never tried it myself)...

Chris

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Daffy, Daffy, Daffy - nowhere does Rick say he wants a yes or no answer.

I hear what you're saying, Chris. Truly.
However, I politely disagree, since Rick clearly presented only two accessories to the Viper nation, and then said: "Would these be desirable accessories? Do you want them?"
That leaves only room for a YES or NO. I was emphasizing the simplicity of what he presented and said and asked, not making laws. :laugh:
Lord knows I'm just three words in this place. No, not those three words! :D
I give up. Chaos take you all! :p
As for the polling feature. Good idea, except that it does not work - according to everyone who has tried to use it so far. I know, bummer!

OP
OP

3wide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good Morning to all and thanks for all the data. I'll agree with Daffy that I was looking for yes or no answers but the additional information is interesting and I consider useful feedback. Please keep in mind that I don't have control over Dodge production decisions.The Mopar perspective is trying to enhance the vehicle and owners experience with quality/engineered accessories.

So far my interpretation of the responses is leaning towards favorable for the cruise and radio accessories.

I lurk on this board and have helped several members with issues and we (Mopar) have made some mods to an accessory based on posts that I have seen.

Thank you again and keep em coming.

Rick