Mopar Wing Question

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, OK...so I know I'm posting a lot in the past few days, but hey...just got my machine and have lotsa questions! :confused:

So I just got a Mopar-style wing from a fellow VCA member, and dropped it off to the paint shop a few days ago. Today, the paint shop called me to recommend some additional "work" on it to smooth out some irregularities and "waves" by applying filler before they paint it.

Has anyone (with Mopar) wings heard of this before? I didn't really notice these "waves" when I dropped it off, so not really sure if anyone else has had to do body work to their wings before installation...

:dunno::confused:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is the best looking wing for the RT. If is it easy filler type of work, they probably just want to make it perfect.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally I prefer the autoform wing for the RT's but they both look nice and complete the back of the car.

Its up to you on how you want the wing to look, they came painted most of the time from factory you sure you got a mopar wing or a copy?

OP
OP
Z

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally I prefer the autoform wing for the RT's but they both look nice and complete the back of the car.

Its up to you on how you want the wing to look, they came painted most of the time from factory you sure you got a mopar wing or a copy?

I'm pretty sure that every "Mopar" wing these days is a copy, since they've been obsolete for awhile...:dunno:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased a copy. It came in gel coat ready to paint and it was ready to paint. Painter had no issues with it. You'll know if it's a copy or not because the copies have 3 mounting bolts per side instead of the 4 mounting bolts that came with the factory spoiler.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased a copy. It came in gel coat ready to paint and it was ready to paint. Painter had no issues with it. You'll know if it's a copy or not because the copies have 3 mounting bolts per side instead of the 4 mounting bolts that came with the factory spoiler.

Thanks, Tony. This is a copy since it has the three bolts per side. I contacted the guy I bought it from and he offered to send me another one, so hopefully that will one will be in better shape!

Do you have any pics to share? To be honest, I've been struggling between Autoform and Mopar-style lately, and maybe some pics (before I drill) will sway me in one direction.

Thanks.:2tu:

Last edited by a moderator:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the only one I can find in my gallery...I thought I had more. In the meantime, look for Viper Baz's pics of his Rt/10 with the mopar wing. He sold me on it.

Walls.jpg

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, Tony. This is a copy since it has the three bolts per side. I contacted the guy I bought it from and he offered to send me another one, so hopefully that will one will be in better shape!

Do you have any pics to share? To be honest, I've been struggling between Autoform and Mopar-style lately, and maybe some pics (before I drill) will sway me in one direction.

Thanks.:2tu:

Should have made my self clear here, they both look very good on the car the main reason why Autoform was my choice is because it does not require drilling into the lid of the trunk.

Far as the way they look compared to one another depends on how you feel that day, sometimes I look at a mopar one and think damn that looks good, other days its the reverse. But one thing for sure I was not about to drill holes in the trunk when there are alternatives.

OP
OP
Z

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should have made my self clear here, they both look very good on the car the main reason why Autoform was my choice is because it does not require drilling into the lid of the trunk.

Far as the way they look compared to one another depends on how you feel that day, sometimes I look at a mopar one and think damn that looks good, other days its the reverse. But one thing for sure I was not about to drill holes in the trunk when there are alternatives.

I can totally relate to you...which is why I'm going back and forth on this!:dunno:

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MOPAR!!!!!!!!!!!

You must be registered for see images attach

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BAZ!!!! Your car looks awesome!!! Now that I see the pics of yours, I already know and really like Tony's, I'm starting to re-think the rear wing/spoiler/ironing board for the back of my car.

Love to see side by side or pictures close enough to compare and with the same color.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tator has the Mopar spoiler on his red RT/10...that helped convince me. Check it out next time you're in his shop.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Tony, will do....actually followed him to last few shows and liked it. Would love it if someone could post pics of the other wing - non-Mopar - just for visual comparison. I can see the advantage to not drilling, but if you own the car and that is what you want, then why care?

One other factor is cost as, if I'm not mistaken, the non-Mopar wing comes already painted in factory colors. That can be a big savings, depending on who paints the wing. My sense is it could be $200-$300 (at least) to prep, paint, clear coat.

Aha! Found one! Autoform wing is $599 plus ship.

The Mopar wing is beefier, IMHO.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely beautiful pics...that Mopar wing is the way to go. It totally completes the car. :clap2:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If the body shop is quite particular , it was not unknown for there to be some imperfections in the wings. We had to go over some of them back when they were sold and smooth some areas out a bit.

Likely you just have a very conscientous shop working on your car -- good luck it does give it a great look !

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, you guys have got me thinking...how does the wings/spoilers affect the trunk lid...will it stay up (I have the trunk lid strut and it stays up without any other help), is it harder to open (heavier)?

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, you guys have got me thinking...how does the wings/spoilers affect the trunk lid...will it stay up (I have the trunk lid strut and it stays up without any other help), is it harder to open (heavier)?

You will need another one for the other side.... Works for me.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960