More money than brains/Viper prices

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Selling cheap?More money than brains?What difference does the mileage make?Corvette split window,cuda hemi,ferrari 250 or 365 gtb for that matter.Bugatti,Auto union,427 cobra or gt-40,A fully restored,or original car with no flaws.Whats the diff?There are no more Gen 1 or 2 cars!Mileage means nothing compared to care taken even if it was a raced and or restored car.Yep mine is a driver and has some "GASP" stone chips.Original parts standing by in a closet.Bent frame?Cut out the bent part and weld in a new part.Broken body panels?Replace with a used piece from a dead parts car that an insurer has pronunced worthless or have a correct replacement built.What are you thinking?What's wrong with you? More money than brains?THERE ARE NO MORE.Enjoy the car and have it maintained and refurbished accordingly.I'm sorry that you may have to sell cheap and get out.You will kick yourselves later.If unfortunatly you must provide food and housing to loved ones maybe you shoudn't have bought one in the first place. Rant Over. Bruce

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Selling cheap?More money than brains?What difference does the mileage make?Corvette split window,cuda hemi,ferrari 250 or 365 gtb for that matter.Bugatti,Auto union,427 cobra or gt-40,A fully restored,or original car with no flaws.Whats the diff?There are no more Gen 1 or 2 cars!Mileage means nothing compared to care taken even if it was a raced and or restored car.Yep mine is a driver and has some "GASP" stone chips.Original parts standing by in a closet.Bent frame?Cut out the bent part and weld in a new part.Broken body panels?Replace with a used piece from a dead parts car that an insurer has pronunced worthless or have a correct replacement built.What are you thinking?What's wrong with you? More money than brains?THERE ARE NO MORE.Enjoy the car and have it maintained and refurbished accordingly.I'm sorry that you may have to sell cheap and get out.You will kick yourselves later.If unfortunatly you must provide food and housing to loved ones maybe you shoudn't have bought one in the first place. Rant Over. Bruce

My thoughts exactly!!!!! :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some day we will be able to tell our grand children about that blue/white GTS that we bought new, and sold, that is now worth a $million, but that is life, and priorities change.
Buy the one you like best, drive it like you stole it, and move on.
Keeping it inside your garage, afraid to drive it, and waiting for your ship to come in is not my style.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey bruce, there are over 16K Vipers. FYI that AIN'T RARE!

viper's aren't going to start appreciating past their original prices for at least 15 years.

Thinking these cars are invenstments = stupid logic.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed. You would have to have great luck or insight to know what car (if any) will appreciate more than the investment potential of that car's purchase price today. Taking into account the costs of maintenance, insurance, storage, etc. which would quickly make it a poor investment.

Just think of $5000 invested wisely back in the 60's and what it would be worth today and then compare that to the value of most muscle cars today (not the extremely limited versions as you probably couldn't have gotten one of them back then anyway).

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I confess, every time I drive my Viper I worry if the numbers match.

You probably think that's crazy but if somehow they didn't match, I know people would find out and think the car was some kind of freak or kit car. Brrrr, it makes me shudder.

For awhile I was jacking up the front of the car from time to time so I could look at the scratches under the front of the facia. They take all the fun out of owning a Viper.

I'm going to call Dr. Laura and see if I can get help with this.
Perhaps I should call Rush instead, he could probably recommend something to make me feel better.

NATE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If unfortunatly you must provide food and housing to loved ones maybe you shoudn't have bought one in the first place. Rant Over. Bruce

This is where you get out of line. You do not know what circumstances people go through and why they might have to sell cheap. Maybe you should not have one since you obviously do not know what a car is.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, I don't want to be out of line. How about if we take up a collection for the poor. It's the season to be giving, right?
We could help all those poor Viper owners keep their cars.

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, I don't want to be out of line. How about if we take up a collection for the poor. It's the season to be giving, right?

How about helping us poor Californians (who have to spend so much $$ on housing) to buy superchargers from DLM, or Heffner or I'll even settle for a good heads and cam package :smirk:

NATE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HA HA...yes Bruce..you are out of line!! Now...go play nice and quit offending NATE.
Haha, offended, just stating the facts. I am also not defending the poor, but just because someone buys a Viper and has to sell it for financial reasons doesn't mean they shouldn't have bought it in the first place. :2tu:

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nate,
There's a lot of "buy it and then sell it cause they can't afford it" going around these days.

Quite a few of them shouldn't have bought it.

newredrt10

Former VCA National President
Administrator
Reaction score

can I be first in line :laugh:

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nate,
There's a lot of "buy it and then sell it cause they can't afford it" going around these days.

It's also a pretty common "excuse" for selling, along with 'wife wont let me keep it', etc.

I've called on many "Financial hardship, MUST SELL" ads only to find the price wasn't that great and they were teasers. Most folks aren't going to write "car has had so many problems in the last year, its killing me. Please take this lemon off my hands" now are they?

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nate,

It's also a pretty common "excuse" for selling, along with 'wife wont let me keep it', etc.

I've called on many "Financial hardship, MUST SELL" ads only to find the price wasn't that great and they were teasers. Most folks aren't going to write "car has had so many problems in the last year, its killing me. Please take this lemon off my hands" now are they?

The best one I heard was "Major DWI, Must Sell"!!

-------------
2000 Black RT/10
Heffner 1000SCi 843 rwhp 792 rwtq 10.20 ET @ 141 MPH
Heffner Performance - Home of the World's First 9-second supercharged Viper!

OP
OP
G

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did I write that?Must have been tired and had 1-2 too many adult beverages.Anyway.Last car that I hung onto for a while was a 74 Bricklin SV-1.They made about 750 cars in 74 and about 50 with 4 speeds(I had one of them).Drove it.Sold it 10 years later for the original purchase price($7000.00).It needed a body off from the ground up restoration when I sold it.Basicaly it fell apart while you drove it.A maintinence horror story.You can buy a completely restored one for around $20,000 now.Far less than what it would cost to do a restoration.Never appreciated,WHY?Unremarkable performance.Nothing very interesting.Live rear axle.Push rod AMC v8 with a carb.etc,etc,etc.NO redeeming value or interest except the electric/hydraulic doors that burnt out their systems and warped the doors when they worked.The Viper is different.Acceptable build quality.Remarkable handling and performance.Great styling.V-10 motor.I love it and wouldn't sell it for twice the purchase price wether it appreciates or not.Its a good car.Still have an eye out for a completely restored Austin Healy 3000 MK-IV with electric OD in silver or british racing green,Ferrari Daytona 365 gtb 4 red of course and that's about it. Bruce

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTSBruce,

The only place you are wrong in, is "there are no more Gen 1 Gen 2 cars left."

In late October I took my car hauler to Cleveland Tenn. and picked up my BRAND NEW 1997 GTS Blue with White Stripes. It was still on the show room floor where it had sat for some six years, it was still on it's MSO, I'm the orig owner, odo had 200 miles on it, my full bumper to bumper factory warranty started the day I picked it up. All the employees of the dealership about cried to see the car go. They even had a photo and an article about the sale of the car in their local sports section of the newspaper.

This one was one of THREE Blue and Whites I found, new still on MSO's when I searched for mine. I picked this one because it was the only one still in the hands of the dealer that ordered it, but there are some left, you just have to dig them up!

Drive or not to drive, now that IS the question!

My RT-10 had 29K miles on it when I sold it, so if history repeats itself........

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bruce, I for one, forgive you. I too have posted having a couple of adult beverages. John

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my car to drive. Cant bring myself to just look at it.

Didnt buy it as an investment, I bought it to have fun with

A "new" blue/white at this time. I would say at least 60