More newbie questions

prosthogod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the shift problem from 1st-2nd a dealer fix or aftermarket?
Is it best to have a dealer viper tech install corsa exhaust or do it yourself?
And lastly for now, how do you fix the lunging(sp) from ~1000-2000rpm?

SRTJOE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is the shift problem from 1st-2nd a dealer fix or aftermarket?
Is it best to have a dealer viper tech install corsa exhaust or do it yourself?
And lastly for now, how do you fix the lunging(sp) from ~1000-2000rpm?

What problem are you having from 1st-2nd?

Corsa exhaust install. I would make it a do it your self winter project.

lunging(sp) from ~1000-2000rpm? Need more info.

OP
OP
P

prosthogod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1- sometimes when shifting from 1st to 2nd i'll get blocked out. No consistancy, but more often at lower rpm(2000-3000).
2-lunging= if you are in 1st or 2nd and cruising let's say in a parking lot holding a constant low rpm, it will **** and not be smooth unless you are giving some accelorator.

Timmmay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The lugging you describe is normal. The 1st to 2nd problem is called skip shift and its there to help DC with emmissions and to improve mpg on the vehicle. You can disable this with a very cheap resistor from radio shack or spend $$ on an after market unit that plugs into the trans. Do a search and you'll find some answers to what you need.

SRTJOE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
1- sometimes when shifting from 1st to 2nd i'll get blocked out. No consistancy, but more often at lower rpm(2000-3000).
2-lunging= if you are in 1st or 2nd and cruising let's say in a parking lot holding a constant low rpm, it will **** and not be smooth unless you are giving some accelorator.

Shifting is normal. The Viper comes with "skip shift" it's put there to save gas. It wants you to go from 1st to 4th. If you don't like it you can install a skip shift eliminator.

lunging. Is also normal at very low RPM's

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll learn over time how to control the low-speed lunging. It takes a delicate touch and minute adjustments. And you can always just push in the clutch to stop it before it gets too obvious and makes you look like an idiot. ;)

If you install the 3.55 gears, you'll never have skip shift interfere with your driving again. In the meantime, and in the future, simply go up to a higher rmp before shifting. You should anyway. It's a common problem with newbies that they shift too soon. We've all been there. I don’t think you’ll need the skip ship eliminator, but if you do, JonB at www.partsrack.com sells them as cheap as they come, and everything else Viper for that matter. When I was a newbie, JonB talked me out of the skip shift eliminator for the reasons stated above. He was right.

Your dealership Viper tech may not have time or a lot of experience installing aftermarket exhausts, given that most of their work is warranty or stock parts work. (There are of course exceptions, like my tech.) If you don't want to do the work yourself and if your tech isn't one of the exceptions, I would think a Viper tuner would be the best bet (if you have one close), since he'll have experience installing Corsa on Vipers. My next pick would be a tuner for another performance line, like a Porsche tuner. Finally, a reputable and skilled muffler shop might work too, so long as it's not just a chop shop. The side sills on the GEN III are a real pain to get on and off, even for the experienced, and getting the Corsa tips lined up just right in the side sill exhaust holes has proven to be a real pain as well. I wouldn't trust this job to just anyone with muffler experience.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you just remove and tape up the connector and solenoid you will store a trouble code in the Vipers computer and you check engine light will come on eventually. You need a properly built bypass connector with the correct resistor built in to it so this will not happen. You get what you pay for in this world.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gee, let me take a guess that it happens when the yellow arrow is illuminated on the dash? That means the skip shift "feature" is engaged. Drive your car a little more heavily footed and you will never have that issue. Only grannies should have to worry.

OP
OP
P

prosthogod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gee, let me take a guess that it happens when the yellow arrow is illuminated on the dash? That means the skip shift "feature" is engaged. Drive your car a little more heavily footed and you will never have that issue. Only grannies should have to worry.
It all has been explained if you read the thread, so keep your POS grannie comments to yourself a** hole.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prostogod you obviously have a problem. First the response above was directed to the post immediately above it and not toward your sorry ass. If you cannot accelerate enough to avoid the skip shift I recommend you drive something more palatable ... like a Buick.

But being a Viper expert, with your solid 10 posts from "Snottsdale," I suppose you have every right to be snotty. But, if you want to be attack minded as you demonstrated, you will get ZERO help from some of us with decades more experience in Vipers than you.