More scams, beware!

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll post it here rather than have it get lost at the back of the lead SCAM thread.

I've received two letters in the last week about my Harley for sale from guys trying to scam me in a couple different methods..

First is from someone supposedly representing a client ready to buy it with no dickering on the price, and willing to just send me a cashier's check. Saying shipping for the bike would then be arranged later.

Typically they send you a check for more than the sale price and ask you to forward (from your account of course) the difference which is due them for arranging the sale with their 'client'.

The check bounces and you'd be out the money you sent to them. If you don't send them the money, they're not out the commission anyway because the check is no good.

Then today a guy writes from England and wants my bank account number so he wire transfer the money to my account for the Harley. (duh)

I've contacted zwallet.com and Yahoo about their 'members' activities.

Be Careful!

Saleen-Explorer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the guys on the SVT board trying to sell his Lightning had the same scam offered to him, heres what it said:

Originally posted by Spritle
Got my L for sale. Guy writes me and asks if it is still for sale and I told him yes. He writes me again and asks my bottom price and again, I tell him. Then I get this email. Freakin scammers. I heard about this a while back, but it was setup diffrently. Look out.

Email I received:

Hi Robert,
Thanks for the reply and the acceptance,I have discussed with him and
he has agreed to pay $28,000 for the Ford and he has instructed me to
inform you that payment will get to you in a refund cashier check with
excess amount above the cost of your vehicle,and is a refund payment of a
cancelled order earlier made by my customer.
Due to the company that owes him policy this check has to be made out
in this amount owed to him in full to you ,because company policy only allows a
refund payment on one cashier check and all is $36,655 so you will be required
to deduct cost of your vehicle which is $28,000 when check payment gets to
you and refund the excess balance of $8,655 to him via money gram money
transfer or western union money transfer for him to be able to upset shipping
charges from there and pay up the agent coming to pick up the vehicle.
After payment has reached you and excess balance sent back to him,the
a! gent [Mr Roland Delveqio] will come pick up title papers and car keys
with other necessary documents thats goes with the vehicle and drive to a prepaid
shipper to be shipped to my customer,and he will take care of title papers car
keys and other necessary documets making sure they get to him, via fedex
courier. do confirm this so If you agree to assist in this capacity ,Will you
please send your contact address where my client should send the check , your name to be on check and telephone numbers ,i will instruct my client to send the
check by express priority mail to you.
Thank you and GOD bless
Bobby.
NB:The excess balance is for the agent air fee and the shipping charges
with insurance of the Ford to Eangland ok.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FE 065,
I was subjected to those same 2 obvious scam attempts when I sold one of my cars recently. They insult your intelligence but I guess there are people who fall for that stuff.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Another monster scam that I'm seeing everywhere on ebayauto is where a car/motorcycle has a buyitnow at 50% of retail. But you must first be preapproved. Long story short, you send money and you get nothing in return. I have literally seen hundreds of the above on new crotch rockets priced way too cheap, but before you bid, you must first be preapproved. They then start scamming when you contact them. Ebay needs to clean this crap up quickly.

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was selling a car on the internet a few weeks ago and had no less that 10 people try to pull that scam on me.
Its getting crazy out there....BE CAREFUL!!
Cheers,

picflight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
snip...
Then today a guy writes from England and wants my bank account number so he wire transfer the money to my account for the Harley. (duh)

snip...

Be Careful!

Isn't it normal practice to gve out your checking account number and bank routing numbers for a wire transfer? Considering that it not obviously a scam. I dont think that anyone can withdraw money from you account if all they knew was the name on the account and account number, correct me if I am wrong on this.

picflight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if someone has your account number they can withdraw from your account without any sort of authorization? How can this be done, can you elaborate? It is fairly easy to get a bank account number, whenever I write a check to someone they have the account number and any person can get a hold of it and use it. This seems to be pretty risky if thats all someone needs.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte