Most Annoying Things About Owning a Viper

OP
OP
D

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so i guess the most annoying thing about vipers is the value of em when you sell em???? why sell in the first place? we looking to buy the new ford GT??? i just started my mods and not done yet.

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been "looking" for a Viper for roughly 4-5 months now. Unless in pristine condition, a 93-95 won't get above 33g - 35g. I am not saying this is right so please don't bite my head off for it. It's just something I have noticed. The odd one has gone higher but if you have followed prices, you know it's true. A heavily modified car, does not signify a greater selling price. Just like any other car, tons of questions come into play. What was it modified? Was it raced? Was it redlined much? Why selling after investing so much? No while it may not of been "raced", nobody modifies a car like that for "speed limit driving". Fact is it is a buyer's market right now. Great for people like me, "bad" for sellers. It's just the nature of the beast.

SnakeCharmer99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why sell? Have no choice, getting divorced. Buy a Ford for $150,000? If I had that kind of liquid I wouldn't buy a Ford, maybe a Ferrari or even a Lambo but not a Ford.

OP
OP
D

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why sell? Have no choice, getting divorced. Buy a Ford for $150,000? If I had that kind of liquid I wouldn't buy a Ford, maybe a Ferrari or even a Lambo but not a Ford.

i would buy a ford. its american and made by americans. thats why i bought i bought a viper instead of a porsche. if i had $150K to dump i would def go with the ford GT. that would be my equivalentto a ferrari or lambo thats made on my homeland. i have owned 3 stangs through out my 20's and still have a 97 conv sitting in the garage. would never buy foreign. sorry. :2tu: :usa:

SnakeCharmer99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. I'm all for American made products. Hence the Viper and 57' Chevy. But 150,000 for a Ford? A bit on the extreme end. 80-90g's no problem. It is a beautiful car but does not warrant that kind of price tag. Besides if your going to go forgein might as well go to the top right?

NatRT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I didn't want to start another thread on this, but this seems like a reasonable price for a 95 to me. I mean reasonable from our (as owners) perspective. Your thoughts?

I know that green is probably the least popular color so that may influence the selling price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6209&item=2460865534

I just bought my black '95 in January with 28,000 miles and I paid $36,000. After going over the car from top to bottom, to me it is worth every penny of what I paid. Think about it, for the price of a Mustang Cobra or a little more than a Subaru WRX STi, I'm driving a Dodge VIPER! To me, it was a no-brainer.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since the thread has been hi-jacked....Vipers are built by Americans, which is great! Still, the company is German owned and controlled (since 98 anyway). Would you consider a Camry built in Kentucky American? American made, yes. Japanese background....however you want to define it. I think of the Viper as International, and still an American Icon. I wish Daimler and Chrysler would split up. It's like my teenage daughter dating a 60 year old named Dieter!

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Daniel,
I hear exactly what you are saying but it is much easier said then done. I personally believe those of us not looking to sell have just as much to do with it as sellers. Actually, I think we might have more to do with, as we are unbiased third party observers to the buy/sell. Let me tell you why.

2-3 times a week a post is started: "How much is a 19XX GTS/RT-10 worth?" The question could be coming from either a potential buyer, or someone looking to sell their car. That person posts on this board because they believe they are asking the "experts" and getting the best information possible. What this person gets is a bunch of guys quoting 2nd or 3rd hand sales knowledge about cars they have never seen. Or even worse quoting Ebay cars which no-one has every seen. 50% of the people that answer those threads give the lowest number they have ever seen that year and model sell for as the “price.” Now you tell me, who is this helping?

The problem is even worse than this as I will bet the number of non-posting new buyers is 10-1 to those who post. What this means is, when the potential buyer is trolling the forum he/ sees that the Viper he wants is worth 5-7k less then he thought. He thinks great! This forum has just saved me 5-7k and I will not look at any of the “overpriced” cars. :rolleyes:

My point is, I think in many instances this board is it’s own worst enemy when it comes to Viper resale.

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Biggest problem I have found: The faster you go the faster you spend! :2tu:

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a single person, you cant do anything. However, get a LARGE percentage of the selling Viper owners to raise their prices, and others will follow suite. The other problem right now is way to many people are looking to "dump" their cars, rather than wait around a while. Viper owners are "pushovers". They get a lowball...and they take it! If a lot of Viper owners would just step up and say "nope, no way I am selling under XX,***"- AND STUCK TO IT, we could change things. Hopefully springtime will see a change.

As said above, we also need to get more exposure. Does anyone here even comprehend what MANY people THINK about our cars?!? the RUMORS have taken over, and truth no longer prevails. Didnt you know a stock Viper is slower than a Stock Vette/Cobra, Etc? Didnt you know our cars cant handle AT ALL? didnt you know they wear out before 20K miles and thats why there are so many low mile cars? didnt you know that they fall apart? It is insane.....

Right on Daniel! :usa:

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since my Viper is yellow, I have the entertaining problem of women throwing underwear at me while shouting "Oh my god ... that is the coolest car and the coolest color! ... Please, Mr. Viper owner, take my underwear as a token of my appreciation for you and your car ... and here is my phone number for later"

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you guys wanted to make money you should have bought stocks not vipers. They are cars not investments just like vettes, porsches and ferrari's and they all depreciate for quite some time. I say drive them and enjoy them and expect to lose your socks on them when you sell them. Sad but true.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...nothing is selling for even close to what they are worth...

Sorry, but what they are selling for = what they are worth. Just because you don't like the result, doesn't mean the equation is flawed!

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't get a chance to read all the comments, but did anyone mention that while the other motorist is staring at you instead of looking ahead, his vehicle is drifting into your lane!! Very annoying. It took me a while till I figured that one out.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll bet that more than half of the Viper owners don't even know that this forum exists.

I'll bet that only one in ten potential Viper buyers has ever seen this board.

I don't think that what people say on this board has very much to do with the prices.

I do think that the published prices in places like "Kelly Blue Book", have much more effect.
For years I've thought the published price guidelines for Vipers were way low.
If anything is unfairly driving down prices, it is this.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am proud of us all! No one complained about gas mileage as a problem of owning a Viper.

well if you can afford the car and insurance you def can afford the gas...

since when do you have to have insurance :eek:

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will probably get slammed for this, but here it goes. It's part of the territory so quit complaining "whoever is complaining". If you hate the attention or the worry, get rid of the car. I would gladly accept the worry, all the attention, and costs for the simple fact that I would have a Viper.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the beginning I noticed that the car was attracting A LOT of attention but now it is not that way, or maybe I do not pay attention to it since I am concentrating on the road?

The burnouts are a pain. Never even knew people always wanted people to do that.

OP
OP
D

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the beginning I noticed that the car was attracting A LOT of attention but now it is not that way, or maybe I do not pay attention to it since I am concentrating on the road?

The burnouts are a pain. Never even knew people always wanted people to do that.

yes F355 now u and I are just too used to it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi