Moving AC controls to the radio spot?

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking of installing a flipout in my Viper, how hard is it to move the AC controls to the top slot and the radio down like in the Gen 1s? This way it would not block the AC vents

Jmch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
never tried myself.. I have a Gen one with a flip-out.. the a/c vents are clear but I can't get to the controls :) .. whichever is the lesser if two evils I guess..

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Crazier things have been done.... always loved this. Hope the owner is on this site.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
K

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is pretty cool, Iwonder how hard that would be to do...im sure some trimming behind the panel

OP
OP
K

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not sure if I just want to make it a clean and simple install and get this head unit

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500HD149BT/Alpine-CDE-HD149BT.html?tp=5684#overview-tab

or go for a flipout

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X7500BT/Pioneer-AVH-X7500BT.html?tp=5684

I am normally not a flipout guy but the price difference would only be about 80 bucks and I get a DVD player and a larger screen, the thing that annoys me though is that it does not have HD Radio and it definitely does not look factory in the car once installed

Jmch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That is pretty cool, Iwonder how hard that would be to do...im sure some trimming behind the panel
well if you decide to take the difficult road I could probably build that type of bezel for you by modifying your current one or other one. it would add more cost to Yvette radio swap.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a flip out 7" single din touch screen nav receiver its great I also set up a rear view camera down at the rear exhaust tips. I would not bother to move the A/C Controls, the air from the A/C vents keeps the screen cool and flows around it. You may also find if you have the monitor lower down you may have trouble allowing it to flip out with the gear shift in the way? Also when shifting you may touch the screen?

Jmch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't have issues hitting when shifting but it will hit the shifter in 3rd gear during slide out.. I would just install where it's at personally.

OP
OP
K

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I decided to just install it in the normal spot. Just spent waaaay too much today for my viper, done for a while!

Jmch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah I decided to just install it in the normal spot. Just spent waaaay too much today for my viper, done for a while!
yeah... I've told my wife that before... "awhile" is relative

NetkoGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ksgts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So here some pictures from behind the radio and AC controls. Here is the main issue that I can see one the AC control is mechanical so your limited to where the hard cable can reach. Then obviously the air lines (rainbox colored tubes on the right). So hopefully you dont have to extend those at all. Then of course trimming, and also you may have to relocate the ABS module to get the double din to fit. I'll keep ya updated on my double din install.

NetkoGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics. 97 GTS here... NO pesky ABS control box. My issue with both of the pics it trying to get the finish on the plastic to look the same as the upper dash

ksgts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The only way to get it to look right is to wrap the trim piece with black vinyl with the same grain. Though Id wrap the dash too if I was you.

OP
OP
K

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
after seeing these pics I again want to move my ac, anyone have pics of a dash removed on a Gen 1 to see how different they are from the Gen 2 in the ac/stereo area

You must be registered for see images

HPmopars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put my Alpine flip-out in the top spot. It really doesn't block the vents that much, plus it's easier to view and to oparate the controls.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456