Moving from 18 to 19 tires

chambers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a RT 10 Viper. I am thinking about new tires for my RT and I am trying to decide should I go from a 18 to 19. What are the pros and cons for such a move. I like those Nitto NT05 but they only come in 19 back and front

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you go to 19" wheels and tires you typically increase overall tire diameter. It is the small as going to a lower (numerically) rear final ratio. In short, it will be slower accelerating but better top speed and gas mileage since you rev less to move the same distance.

There are benefits on the money front. 19 tires are more common in the 335 width sow the tires will be marginally cheaper. The first time you may not feel it, but long term can add up.

I do agree, however, the handling will feel more crisp on the 18's. however, to be fair, the extra 1/2 of tire radius won't make an enormous difference you can feel unless you really push very hard.

Bottom line... If you want it.... It is always a trade off. But if the look is better for you and the handling is not a huge thing... Go for it.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
R U tracking the car a lot? GTSR 91 has a god point if you do. I don't so I have 19".
Like Luisv said, highway and looks are great... I think I'm around 1300-1400 rpm's at 70mph or so.
Helped with wheel gap cuz I'm still stock height.

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Putting 19s all around is a great idea as long as you don't spend much time off the street. The tire selection is good and you'll appreciate the gapitis reduction. Complete the conversion with shortened spring caps or (ideally) a lowered coilover setup.

Raven2k8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When you go to 19" wheels and tires you typically increase overall tire diameter. It is the small as going to a lower (numerically) rear final ratio. In short, it will be slower accelerating but better top speed and gas mileage since you rev less to move the same distance.

There are benefits on the money front. 19 tires are more common in the 335 width sow the tires will be marginally cheaper. The first time you may not feel it, but long term can add up.

I do agree, however, the handling will feel more crisp on the 18's. however, to be fair, the extra 1/2 of tire radius won't make an enormous difference you can feel unless you really push very hard.

Bottom line... If you want it.... It is always a trade off. But if the look is better for you and the handling is not a huge thing... Go for it.

When you go up in wheel size you go down in sidewall height so it will not change the final gear ratio.