MSD fuel pump booster vs. Kenne Bell BAP???

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
already talked to tony and he likes the bell unit, i was just trying to get some more opinions.

I ran the MSD unit for a couple years with no problems. I have also had the KB unit on a supercharged Ram for years with no issues as well.

OP
OP
V

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
20amp or 40amp unit??? was told a single factory intank pump only needs a 20amp unit and that 40amp piece will burn up the factory thin gauge wiring and be total overkill.

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the msd sitting on the shelf since i didn't install the s/c yet. Is there any benefit installing it if you aren't going to s/c?
Thanks
Gary

JohnnyBravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the msd sitting on the shelf since i didn't install the s/c yet. Is there any benefit installing it if you aren't going to s/c?
Thanks
Gary

I can't imagine there is any benefit to it if your car is stock. The factory pump is more than capable of handling well in excess of stock power levels. Only when you start getting into the high 500+ rwhp levels will the stock pump start to struggle a little. That's when the additional voltage supplied to the pump by the MSD will come in handy.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The main thing I like about the KB over the MSD is the way it gets it's signal to see boost.
The MSD has a ****** for a boost hose (boost reference) on the box, this means the box really needs to be mounted up front.....the common place is where the vec2/3 is mounted. Crowded there ? Is that a hot location ? Look like a race car instead of a street car ? You have plenty of room....ok, how far are you running the wire to the pump ? Probably alllll the way back to the rear of the car. So you just installed this to get lots of voltage to the pump and then you run 12' to 15' of wire to the rear :dunno:
The KB has a boost switch that can run from a very short boost hose (boost reference) Mine is around 10" (yes, I'm bragging :D) From this switch two wires run to the rear of the car where the BAP is mounted. I mount it upside down above and just behind the factory amp. Can't see it with out looking. The two wires from the boost switch to the rear aren't carrying a lot of current....it's only to tell the BAP that the boost has went above 3psi.
What does this mean ? The wire from my BAP to the fuel pump is short like they should be. I have seen others have to put larger fuses in the supply voltage line to the MSD because they were blowing fuses ? Makes me wonder, is it working too hard ?

The KB keeps a constant voltage: Maintains constant output voltage to pump within 1% from 10 to 12.5 battery voltage.
Does the MSD do this ? I can't find where it states it does.
What does this mean ? When you turn your lights on, stereo/amp on does your voltage vary ? They say it will. Is the KB different in this regard compared to the MSD....dunno ??

Once I pass 3psi my voltage to the pump goes up and stays constant. Best I can tell the MSD keeps climbing with the boost....maybe not to a higher voltage but starts lower at 5psi then climbs. Better ? Worse ? I don't know.

After I put two in tank pumps I didn't really need (or want) extra voltage to the pumps. I left the KB in line because I still wanted a constant voltage no matter what accessories were on or battery condition or alternator output. Does it help ? I don't know, but I feel better.
Don't get me wrong, the MSD is probably in 97% of Roe cars that have a BAP because that is what Sean sells. It will work fine.

This leads me to another point :crazy2: What is the final goal with the BAP ? TT ?? S/C at 600+ whp ? Would it be better to go ahead and drop a few pumps in the tank now and use the BAP $$$ towards that ? Has everyone seen my pictures of the 1/8" orifice (restriction) that the fuel has to flow through six inches after it leaves the pump ? Heck, do away with that restriction and no one should need a BAP. I'm still amazed the cars even run WOT through the stock fuel restrictions :omg:

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All the fuel has to go through this hole right after it leaves the pump.....yes that is the insert out of an ink pin sticking in the hole. Approximately 1/8" diameter. It makes the 5/16 fuel filter and fuel lines seem HUGE :D

MVC-110S.JPG

Two pennies:

MVC-126S.JPG

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc