mustang boss 302 lagnua seca edition

SCSViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow. Talk about ripping off an idea/concept. The only redeeming quality to that thing is the color scheme.

JimK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Parnelli Jones winning 1970 Boss 302 was red and black...its a nice looking Stang :usa:

Jim

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. Talk about ripping off an idea/concept. The only redeeming quality to that thing is the color scheme.

Seriously.... you think the Mustang ripped off the idea from the ACR? Have you heard of the Trans Am series from the late 1960's. If anything Dodge ripped off the idea from say....ANYONE IN THE 1960's scene!

Is it that hard to give credit to a Mustang? Really..c'mon.

jason8416

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously.... you think the Mustang ripped off the idea from the ACR? Have you heard of the Trans Am series from the late 1960's. If anything Dodge ripped off the idea from say....ANYONE IN THE 1960's scene!

:headbang: mustang looks nice, the new 2011 is a very respectable car compared to the camaro and challenger..

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The 1:33 Laguna was an evolution, not a ripoff of a 45-year old Ford paint scheme! 1:33 is a simple Red vs Black reversal of the original ACR / Nurburgring car colors.

SCSViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I just don't care for the Mustang, personal opinion. Had one and it was a POS....NEW. I was just surprised to see the color scheme. I don't hate Mustangs they are just not my taste.

JimK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My first muscle car was a 1989 Fox body Mustang GT 5.0 - was one of the most rock-solid reliable performance cars I've ever owned. Wish I still had it!

For years though I could take or leave the body styling but lately they are looking better to me and with the rebirth of the 5.0, that just ices the cake. I really think there is no better exhaust note in the world than a well-tuned 5.0 (with the exception of course of the 5.4L Ford GT with that short exhaust run! Exquisite! :2tu: )

I appreciate all GOOD American made cars...:usa:

Jim

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mustangs are an embarrassment to the mucsle car world from what..94-2010??

2011 with the 5.0 is a nice ride but is it enough

SCSViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My first muscle car was a 1989 Fox body Mustang GT 5.0 - was one of the most rock-solid reliable performance cars I've ever owned. Wish I still had it!

For years though I could take or leave the body styling but lately they are looking better to me and with the rebirth of the 5.0, that just ices the cake. I really think there is no better exhaust note in the world than a well-tuned 5.0 (with the exception of course of the 5.4L Ford GT with that short exhaust run! Exquisite! :2tu: )

I appreciate all GOOD American made cars...:usa:

Jim

Mine was an '82 V6 with T-tops. The build quality was horrible. I would find screws laying on the seat/carpet and wonder where they fell out of. The t-tops leaked, the engine was weak. I guess I am tainted because of that experience. Have never considered a Ford since that time. Maybe they have improved, but it is hard to forget that car!!

OP
OP
J

jman2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps i'm in the minority here but as i'm stuck in traffic everyday, whenever there is a mustang (espically one with an aftermarket exhaust), it always brings a smile to my face. To be honest i love that V-8 sound!!!

Just never driven one before :(

J

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had 10+ Mustangs over the years..... My first car was a 1970 Mustang and we have two right now, in addition to my Viper. Our 1969 Mach 1 we've had for 16 years, it's a great car, had some quality issues in 1969 like all cars from 1969....... our 2008 GT500 convertible for 3 years...it's a great quality vehicle.....

I disagree that 1994 - 2010 were "muscle car disappointments". What other muscle car (actually Mustang INVENTED the Pony Car class) has been in CONSTANT production since 1964? If Ford had not kept the Mustang going through the "lean" years (1974 through 1984).....where would we be now with Muscle Cars or Pony Cars? The Mustang brought back the "horsepower" wars with the Mustang GT in 1982, and spurred the come back of the factory built Convertible (yes Dodge had the Lebaron...hehehehe). The 1996 SVT Cobra engine was a marvel at 305HP and 300TQ..... 1999 with Independent Rear Suspension..... the 2003 SVT Cobra brought factory supercharging (maybe another manufacturer did that but I don't recall any).... the 2005 Mustang heightened the "retro styling" that Camaro and Challenger "copied" two or three years later.......... the 2007 GT500 brought 500HP to the table.....and Ford keeps "upping the ante" every year with the Mustang. You don't get to the 2012 Boss 302 without accepting, embracing and giving credit to every year in between.

Ford is the only American automobile company not taking "government handouts" to survive...... has the best range of automobile styling, technology and quality in the worst economy in decades.

I bought the Viper because it was a unique and impressive vehicle...until the Challenger (which I think is a great looking muscle car) what else did Dodge have that was worth looking at twice....? The Viper ROCKS.... I hope I always own a Viper...but I also hope I always own a Mustang..... and I believe the Mustang (although pedestrian at times) deserves a pedestal in the Automobile Hall of Fame, right there with the Viper and the Corvette (don't get me started on the truckvette, but you gotta respect the marque)!

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just don't care for the Mustang, personal opinion. Had one and it was a POS....NEW. I was just surprised to see the color scheme. I don't hate Mustangs they are just not my taste.

That I can accept...but what car company had good quality in the early 1980s....my 1981 Monte Carlo couldn't make it paste 80,000 miles without a new engine...our 1999 Ford Expedition was still running GREAT at 189,000 miles when we traded it on a 2007 Expedition.

Personally, the Black/Red color schemes look "ricer" to me no matter what the car underneath. But that's why so many colors are available and we don't all drive black cars..

SCSViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That I can accept...but what car company had good quality in the early 1980s....my 1981 Monte Carlo couldn't make it paste 80,000 miles without a new engine...our 1999 Ford Expedition was still running GREAT at 189,000 miles when we traded it on a 2007 Expedition.

Personally, the Black/Red color schemes look "ricer" to me no matter what the car underneath. But that's why so many colors are available and we don't all drive black cars..

Good point, the 80's were lean for quality cars. Loved the '65 convertible Mustang my family had growing up. I like the look of the 1:33 Viper and just might end up with one. Not a ricer, am I?

ghengishahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The new 2011 Mustangs really ROCK. Even the V6 at 305HP is a great car. While I was not a Mustang fan in 70's I am now. (I owned at 70 Hemi Challenger) From what I read compared to the comp, Mustang really sizzles on the track and handles well even with it live axle. If I was doing a pony car today Mustang would be it. I would definitely consider the Boss and Laguna edition as a top choice at 440HP. And the paint scheme is sweet.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good point, the 80's were lean for quality cars. Loved the '65 convertible Mustang my family had growing up. I like the look of the 1:33 Viper and just might end up with one. Not a ricer, am I?

I would find it difficult to call anyone driving a Viper a "ricer"......but the crazy color schemes on a lot of the cool cars seem to be following "ricer" themes....from my perspective........ Maybe at the core of us all is a little "rice"?

ghengishahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here is a couple of vids produced by Ford. Might be interesting. Not that I would ever trade my Viper for one, but they have done a nice job.

Ford

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mine was an '82 V6 with T-tops. The build quality was horrible. I would find screws laying on the seat/carpet and wonder where they fell out of. The t-tops leaked, the engine was weak. I guess I am tainted because of that experience. Have never considered a Ford since that time. Maybe they have improved, but it is hard to forget that car!!

You did probably buy the worst mustang ever. The 6 was a good engine just underpowered, it wasn't a sports car course car, a everyday driver. T-tops leak from the factory, that's a t-top trait.

They are great cars. I've owned 8, various years. Hell i drove one to work today. For the money not a better car out there, when I sell the Viper in a few years it will be for one of the '11's.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the Mustang Boss 302 looks sharp except for the stupid tail light setup. However, saying they will have a Laguna Seca addition should get the lawyers at Dodge fired up unless they didn't trade mark the name for the ACR ahead of time. By the way, I do drive a Mustang based 2007 Saleen. The car is awesome. I prefer the Viper but for a daily driver its hard to beat the Saleen Mustang.

SCSViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You did probably buy the worst mustang ever. The 6 was a good engine just underpowered, it wasn't a sports car course car, a everyday driver. T-tops leak from the factory, that's a t-top trait.

They are great cars. I've owned 8, various years. Hell i drove one to work today. For the money not a better car out there, when I sell the Viper in a few years it will be for one of the '11's.

It was most likely the worst Mustang to ever buy, in hindsight. But you know how you associate a bad drinking experience with the liquor you were drinking and then can never drink it again. Same thing happens, at least for me, and cars. Would always have that lurking in the back of my mind. I guesss that is why there are many makes and models to choose from.

ghengishahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It was most likely the worst Mustang to ever buy, in hindsight. But you know how you associate a bad drinking experience with the liquor you were drinking and then can never drink it again. Same thing happens, at least for me, and cars. Would always have that lurking in the back of my mind. I guesss that is why there are many makes and models to choose from.

Sometimes you just have to give it up. The worst experience I ever had in quality was my 70 Dodge Challenger with a Hemi, pardon me if I say and compare to the Viper, but this was Dodge's flagship of speed then. This engine was a disaster of quality and I was not abusive. The rest of vehicle was not much better. Dodge really refused to fix and finally I took my case to President Nixon. Strange as it may sound, Nixon's Consumer Affairs person wrote a letter to Chrysler and got them on the stick.

As a young man, this car had all my money and was very upsetting. Eventually though, I just gave it, otherwise I would have never bought the Viper.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want one!
It's on the the list, right below an ACR, and just above a ZO6

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sometimes you just have to give it up. The worst experience I ever had in quality was my 70 Dodge Challenger with a Hemi, pardon me if I say and compare to the Viper, but this was Dodge's flagship of speed then. This engine was a disaster of quality and I was not abusive. The rest of vehicle was not much better. Dodge really refused to fix and finally I took my case to President Nixon. Strange as it may sound, Nixon's Consumer Affairs person wrote a letter to Chrysler and got them on the stick.

As a young man, this car had all my money and was very upsetting. Eventually though, I just gave it, otherwise I would have never bought the Viper.

ghengishahn , had three Mopars in the 70's . 68 Barracuda Formula S vert 4spd , 68 Charger 383/727 TF and a 1972 Challenger 340 4spd/Hurst pistol grip , that I bough new for $5400. The Challenger's engine was troublefree with a slight lifter knock on cold start ups since it was new.I've sold it with 90K miles , but both the heater core and radiator was shot just a few months after the warr expired :rolleyes:. Had to fix the fenders and the trunk's trailing edge for rust. Chrysler used a U shaped brace for the fenders with foam in the U frame holding water ,started perforating the fender above it :eater:.
Back in those days , it was rare to see a Hemi powered Challenger or Cuda . Friend had a triple black Hemi Cuda that was my all time fave back then. To the people who don't like Mustangs , I had my 96 GT vert for 12 yrs trouble free , still runs like a champ with no loss of compression .I'd take a Mustang as a daily driver any day.

You must be registered for see images

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Despite the Trans-Am series Mustangs from the 69/70-era, the paint scheme on the original Parnelli Jones cars were mainly Red with Black, had Magnesium Raw looking wheels, etc. This new Boss, while a great car and fantastic bang for the buck, has a paint scheme that is clearly pulled from the latest 1.33 ACR with those red wheels. That is okay because they are too totally different cars. Dodge should be flattered that they set the latest trend on the colors of late, though I don't like the 1.33 ACR color scheme either.

Anyone who does not like the Mustang is just not a car guy. They are fun, well priced cars that provide a ton of enjoyment. My first 69' Mach 1 Mustang, which I still own today, is a great car.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The 87 Mustang GT Cobra (Cobras in Canada in those years only) was bullet proof fun. I would put my 95 BASF Mystic Edition Saleen S351R Speedster up against anything out there so whoever stated the Mustangs from 1994-2000 doesn't know what he hell he is talking about.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

BTW I had to take off the knock off wheels, CF splitter and CF diffuser just to drive it on the street. Car was unveiled in SEMA and NACE in 1995/1996 to promote the Mystic paint to be used on the 1996 Mystic Cobras, though I have the original batch not the one cut with Black to paint more cars which is what Ford did. It si the very first Mystic and only convertible Mystic in existence. Was owned formally by BASF/Ford and Saleen. One of one and extremely unique. The new Mustangs are great, though not my favorite as there are just a million of them out there. I like a little exclusivity, but that does not take away the great value they are. The new V-6 at 300+ HP is a great car. I love the new Challenger too and the new Carmero is cool but the looks have not got to me.

Want to take build qualiy, that 07 Jeep SRT8 was the biggest POS I have ever owned out of any new vehicle I have bought over the past 25 years. Hoping the 2012 Jeep SRT8 is a go as I would like to take another look, but it is hard to get over the quality of some of these vehicles when you have lemon juice squirted in you eyes.

A well tuned Mustang V-8 just has a great sound. NOBODY can deny that, it is just fact.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte