My CD Player Has A Delay When Using Some CD-Rs

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone ever experience this? When I insert the CD-R in the CD drive and decide to skip around tracks, there can be a pause of a few seconds to sometimes a minute or two. I see that it only happens with some CD-Rs so was wondering if there is some solution to this? Certain type of CD-Rs to purchase?

ViperCollector

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Different brands of CDR's can make a big difference on readability/compatibility. Same goes for DVDr's. I have had good luck with Memorex, and horrible experiences with Verbatim. It seems to be all about finding what works best with your burner and reader (in this case, the car's system).

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Either the above mentioned, or it's due to the CD-R+ and CD-R- type designation. Even regular home stereo sets can do funky things when they don't have the right kind of CD-R to play, if I remember right each brand has it's own preference, you just need to find out which fits with your head unit.

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I replaced the OE head in my '01 with an Alpine all those quirks went away.

OE radios are cheap. Had the same problem in my Super Duty.

Tell me about it. They are a pain sometimes but I never really wanted to go with an aftermarket unit as I could never find one that looked stock. I hate all those lights and buttons on most of them.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Different brands of CDR's can make a big difference on readability/compatibility. Same goes for DVDr's. I have had good luck with Memorex, and horrible experiences with Verbatim. It seems to be all about finding what works best with your burner and reader (in this case, the car's system).

When I replaced the OE head in my '01 with an Alpine all those quirks went away.

OE radios are cheap. Had the same problem in my Super Duty.

Either the above mentioned, or it's due to the CD-R+ and CD-R- type designation. Even regular home stereo sets can do funky things when they don't have the right kind of CD-R to play, if I remember right each brand has it's own preference, you just need to find out which fits with your head unit.

Yes Memorex always works.. however the stock head-unit might not be compatible with certain CD brands or perhaps the "CD-R+ and CD-R" type factors too. I'm sure you could find a new head-unit somewhere that you might like; but it will be very hard to find one that looks "stock" considering as newer technology comes out everyone wants the :bling: with all the lights and buttons!

Have you ever thought about or considered buying a CD Changer to connect to your stock Head Unit? :smirk:

I just recently bought this new head unit for my car:
Alpine Electronics of America, Inc. - iDA-X100

Since it only plays music from my iPod I also just bought this so that I will have the option to play CD's as well:
Alpine Electronics of America, Inc. - CHA-S634

Lambojf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone ever experience this? When I insert the CD-R in the CD drive and decide to skip around tracks, there can be a pause of a few seconds to sometimes a minute or two. I see that it only happens with some CD-Rs so was wondering if there is some solution to this? Certain type of CD-Rs to purchase?

In a way Im glad to hear this. Mine does the exact same thing, but if I put in a CD album purchased from a music store(a record label one, not a home burned one),I have no problem at all.I can skip/fast fwd/ rewind etc. Only 1 burned CD I made works with no problem (Memorex brand)Funny thing is that the same CD's that act up in the Viper,give me no problems in any other car CD player

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its a general incompatibility issue between the protocol of the reader in your head unit and the particular protocol of the burner. Sometimes (not often though) you can try different CDR brand and different burner combinations and find one that works.

As someone suggested, Memorex with an AIWA music burner might work, where a Verbatim burned on a newer computer might not. Some digital electronics geek needs to tell us why!! It is frustrating as hell...especially when part of a song will play but other ones won't.

The older the CD drive in you car is, the greater the liklihood it'll have outdated protocols that just aren't compatible with today's burners. Factory burns are different - I also don't know why.

Unfortunately, the only way to really solve it is by buying a newer vintage head unit. No new info here, just some sympathy from a Viper brother with the same problem.

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tell me about it. They are a pain sometimes but I never really wanted to go with an aftermarket unit as I could never find one that looked stock. I hate all those lights and buttons on most of them.

Unless you get an Avic N3 and send it to same day audio for an LED change... :)

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine