My center armrest just got broken(not by me) and Im FURIOUS!

nofearracer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I decided to take the viper out today for a ride, and I drove it over to my parents house. I parked it out back and took the keys out but I didnt arm the alarm(my mistake). I was inside talking to my mother, when I heard the horn start blowing. I go outside to find my sleezeball(thats being nice)uncle and his son sitting in my car! He said he wanted the keys to take it for a ride and I refused. He then started ranting and raving about me being ,stuck up, snobby, etc. You have to understand this guy is a real piece of work, and thinks the world and everybody in it owes him something. I finally tell him to get out and when he does, he shifts his weight onto the center armrest/console and SNAP. Needless to say I went off, and told him what I thought of him. He then said he "didnt see why anybody would pay money for a flimsy piece of sh*t like that". It took all the self control I have, to keep from punching him out (I didnt feel like being sued)! Sorry for the rant, but Im still fuming from the whole incident. I was just wondering if the center piece can even still be found new, and an idea on how much it would cost?

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck quoted me $650 last year :eek: so I went the used route a got a mint one for $200 from Paul Scharf :2tu:

yes it is a flimsy peice of 'cheap' poorly designed plastic, the fix is to place some timber underneath

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck quoted me $650 last year :eek: so I went the used route a got a mint one for $200 from Paul Scharf :2tu:

yes it is a flimsy peice of 'cheap' poorly designed plastic, the fix is to place some timber underneath

Paul is your man for real good/as new used parts had parts of him in the past always been spot on..
Baz :2tu:

http://www.donscharfautomotive.com/

PS nice car.......

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PET PIEVE - people who have no respect for other peoples things.

Agreed, nothing more frustrating than a jealous relative who likes to demean and disrespect other peoples items in order to try and make themselves feel better.

GT40DOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your relative's disrespect for your viper. You have more self-restraint than I would have had in the same situation. My uncle would have had a "shinner" at least. You did the smart thing, but not the most fun thing. I hope you get it fixed for a reasonable sum. :crazy:

Steve 02/RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took my car in for service and noticed the crack in my center console when I picked it up. Explained to dealer that it wasn't cracked when I dropped it off. They warrantied it w/o any problem. If your still under warranty its worth a shot. Good luck

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I broke mine a couple of years ago in the same way-yes they are a cheap piece of s---.I made the mistake of buying one from a supplier that still has a dimple on the top (from stacking). Go to www.dodgeparts.com and they have the new units for sale and for a little less than the parts dept. at the dealer.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When it's replaced, you'll see that the **** is supported only by a few small round legs and that most of the center console is not supported well. As Neil points out, something underneath is a good option if you think your uncle might come close again.

OP
OP
N

nofearracer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I havent taken it apart yet to see exactly how much damage is done underneath, but the top has a crease about 7" in length. I was wondering if it would be worth a trying to epoxy it back together from underneath, and then epoxy a piece of lexan to it to add support. Do you guys think that would be worth trying? As far as my uncle goes hes a real POS and, I sincerely hope that none of you have to deal with a relative like him.

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine had a crack in the side where to screw ges in. I tried the plastic repair stuff where you smear in colored filler and then heat it with an iron. It looked pretty good at first but now it is developing cracks in it.
Gary

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
usually your first instinct is correct, so get in your car, drive over to your uncles house and beat the snot out of his jealous asp! your console will still be broken but you should feel much better. and rest assure he will never talk to you again, which probably isnt so bad! :2tu:

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine was replaced under warranty and several other Viper owners I know had them replaced under warranty as well. If you have any kind of warranty, I'm sure you can get it replaced.

OP
OP
N

nofearracer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As far warranty goes the car has dodge max-care(basic ran out in Jan), but I dont think it covers soft trim pieces like the console. Anyone had theirs replaced under max-care? I would guess it would depend on the dealer and I dont have a good one that deals with vipers in the area.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far warranty goes the car has dodge max-care(basic ran out in Jan), but I dont think it covers soft trim pieces like the console. Anyone had theirs replaced under max-care? I would guess it would depend on the dealer and I dont have a good one that deals with vipers in the area.

Call Chuck Tator, he'll know for sure if it is covered, and yeah I got one of those POS relatives, but mine is a loafing, never worked a day in his life brother. :mad:

BobK898

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hard to imagine that the epoxy job would work seamlessly. But worth a shot since the piece is pretty much ruined. You could have it covered with leather which would hide the break, may be cheaper than replacing the piece.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I helped a friend fix his console some time back and it works great.

As far as the crease goes, it will disappear if the crease is not torn through the vynle.

This is what you do:

1. Get the console off. Becarful when taking it off. You can break it in different areas when trying to remove.

2. Get the 3M epoxy that body shops use to repair plastic bumpers with. It will cost about $30-50 for the two tubes.

3. Mix the two part epoxy and roughing up the surface around the crack console so the expoxy will take better hold. This kind of epoxy that the body shops use is very strong!

4. Put plenty of epoxy in between the crack and on top of the crack. Also add fiberglass mesh for more support.

5. Take some black duck tape and tape the area down to help keep the form of the console.

6. Let it fully cure and you may want to let the console sit out in the sun to warm up the vynl to soften up the finished surface because the crease will disappear.

When I did the console like the above directions...it worked like a champ and you could not see any of the repair on the top side....

Hope this helps.

Oh BTW..the epoxy can be bought at any automotive paint store dealer. It's not cheap stuff...but it works great. Get the flexiable epoxy mix..not the ridgid stuff. :2tu:

OP
OP
N

nofearracer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
AB that sounds like mine it has not torn through the vinyl(it is just a long crease top side),and good to know someone has tried the epoxy method. It'll be a few weeks before I get to it, as I will be working out of town. I will try to take pics during the process and post them. Again, thanks to all for the help and advice.

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You really should have knocked the hell out of him, especially after he broke the car then started calling it names. :eek:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AB that sounds like mine it has not torn through the vinyl(it is just a long crease top side),and good to know someone has tried the epoxy method. It'll be a few weeks before I get to it, as I will be working out of town. I will try to take pics during the process and post them. Again, thanks to all for the help and advice.
Talk to Chad at Snakehydes, get a custom interior done. :2tu:

[email protected]

OP
OP
N

nofearracer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
UPDATE

Well guys, I got very lucky and I am getting it warranted by a dealer friend of ours. We have purchased quite a few vehicles from him in the past(chevrolet trucks mostly), so he told me it wouldnt be a problem to get the console warranted for me. The new one is supposed to be in sometime next week. I'm still p*ssed about it happened and always will be, but I guess I learned to keep it locked at all times even in the back yard which is sad. The main thing is the car is getting fixed, and Im not going to have to be sued for punching out my POS uncle(cause I was seriously thinking about it after I got the price of a new one). Thanks again guys for your support and advice.