My First Viper (maybe) - Need some advice from the experts

marcusu81

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello to all. Getting ready to pull the trigger on my first Viper (something I've been dreaming about for a very long time) and could use some advice. I've got a deposit on a black '04 with 899 miles. Getting a great deal on the price but there's one caveat .... It's a manufacturer buyback. The drive pully came off and scored the crankshaft, Dodge has since replaced the entire engine assembly.

Negatives:
-It's a buyback
-Not the original engine

Positives:
-Great price (below some of the 25k mile '03's I've seen)
-Spankin new engine
-12mo/12k general warranty starting when I take delivery, lot's left of 7/70

Question's:
-What would your reservations be?
-How much would it affect resale a few years down the line? Collectability?
-Would you do it?

Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated. I am so looking forward to joining in the fun you've all been having.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not be all that concerned, the SRTs in general took a pretty big hit on resale from the start, if you can get one for less than the going rate with a new warranty and a new motor, I dont really see a down side. Do you know if the motor was replaced by Arrow, if it was, it will probably make more power than the factory motor. You would have to keep the car a very long time to see any concerns about the value of it as a collector car. Just my opinions. I would buy it and start enjoying it

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I concur with the above said but see, your point on the resale. I guess you get what you pay for. Meaning if your getting it for a great deal because of the engine change, you my need to then re-sale it at a great deal. Pull the trigger. IMO You'll have no regrets.

RMBSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I am the only one who see's the fact the title will always have the buyback listed as a problem. If you ever try to sell the car, you will have to pass on the "good deal" on the price to the new buyer. There are too many SRT-10s out there without any "stories" behind the title.

If you are comfortable that your cars value will ALWAYS be 20% below the market value, then buy the car. If not, keep looking.

Just my .02!

OP
OP
M

marcusu81

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick and helpful response!!! You all are quite the group......

So today is the day (kinda). I was 99% sure anyway's but you all have helped to push me in the right direction. Papers are signed and sent and I'm all in!!! Now comes the hard part ....... it's halfway across the country and being brought on transport. Good news, it'll be on the way on Friday ........ Bad news, I'll probably not be sleeping much, if at all, until it shows up. I promise pictures shortly after it gets here. (no, I'm not picking the vehicle up w/o seeing it - have about 50 closeups and had a friend in the area check it out)

Thanks again to all and I feel honored to be amongst you.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i didn't sleep much when mine was being transported. Then the car didn't arrive till 11pm so i barely got to bed by 4am

268Copperhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not sure I slept at all the night before it was delivered.

Mine came on a flatbed. When he pulled back the trailer cover I was just like a kid getting a new bike.

I think I still have stretch marks from the smile.

I spent about 2 hours cleaning it yesterday. And injoyed every minute.

Welcome. And enjoy.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick and helpful response!!! You all are quite the group......

So today is the day (kinda). I was 99% sure anyway's but you all have helped to push me in the right direction. Papers are signed and sent and I'm all in!!! Now comes the hard part ....... it's halfway across the country and being brought on transport. Good news, it'll be on the way on Friday ........ Bad news, I'll probably not be sleeping much, if at all, until it shows up. I promise pictures shortly after it gets here. (no, I'm not picking the vehicle up w/o seeing it - have about 50 closeups and had a friend in the area check it out)
Thanks again to all and I feel honored to be amongst you.

WELL-COME to the Viper World!!! :cool: We have an '05 BLACK Vert...NOTHING shines better than the black--but yeah, takes time to clean it, but WELLLLLL worth it, congrats to you, and mostly----E N J O Y!!! :2tu: :2tu: ~juli

Reaction score
Congratulations!

Some suggestions:

Take it very easy with the go pedal until you have completed a performance driving or racing school. I suggest the racing school as there are no schools that provide Vipers for training. The massive torque gets many new owners/drivers in trouble. Remember to add power and braking while going straight. When the tires and or weather is cold the tires seem slippery, due mostly to the available torque and large tire patch which turns into a snow board like grip. In standing water grip is lost as the tires become like a flat bottom boat.

You will soon be wearing the Big Viper Smile!

Back-In-Black

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I concur with Fred, my second BLACK Viper was delivered in January and cold tires and/or weather will spell trouble at ANY speed. The torque is enough to break the rear end loose at almost any speed especially at air temps under 50 and since the rubber compound is especially ******* the runflats. Take your time and recognize you will not fully understand the power until you've made a coupe of (hopefully) minor mistakes.

On another note, the Black is a chore, but it will force you to keep it clean at all times ensuring your vehicle is well cared for. As I said I just got my second black Viper and think black just adds that touch of class you can't get in any other color, especially at night.

Welcome and Enjoy!

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I concur with Fred, my second BLACK Viper was delivered in January and cold tires and/or weather will spell trouble at ANY speed. The torque is enough to break the rear end loose at almost any speed especially at air temps under 50 and since the rubber compound is especially ******* the runflats. Take your time and recognize you will not fully understand the power until you've made a coupe of (hopefully) minor mistakes.

On another note, the Black is a chore, but it will force you to keep it clean at all times ensuring your vehicle is well cared for. As I said I just got my second black Viper and think black just adds that touch of class you can't get in any other color, especially at night.

Welcome and Enjoy!

Second that---black is the shiniest Viper we've ever seen...it's AWEsome, we get sooooooo many comments on the clearcoat finish on the car, for a long time we didn't even wax it--looked absolutely FANtabulous...ALL the Vipers are great looking BEASTS, but black definitely shines! :2tu: ~juli

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine