My hood pad (pic)

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know that i have to find the link... but i finally got some pics... first time posting pics (rookie) so bear with me.
this hood pad took me 3 weeks what do you think?

MyPictures0004.jpg

Sniper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim - NNNNNNNIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

That will probably be my next project.

OP
OP
J

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
King GTS,

I took off the stock pad.
Masked it off and painted almost 2 cans of gloss into it.
Then took 2001 dodge viper yellow in a can from the dealer.
And shot it into a empty babyfood jar. Then hand painted it.
with 2 "winter plants lights" nearby so to bake it.
That way minimal brushmarks.
It just seemed to take forever!!! About 2hrs every night for 3 weeks.

paintprocess0001.jpg

paintprocess0002.jpg

thank you everyone!!!
JIM
smile.gif

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great job!!! I wish I would have a hood pad in my 93 R/T 10, so that I could paint it.... Bummer.....

Lauri

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very Nice!!! Really makes me wish I had taken more time when I did mine.
Dam, now I just may have to redo mine.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks awesome...I do have a brand new extra pad in the box here....hmm. But what exactly is the correct type of paint to use? Should I use, for example, Krylon, etc? Did you use regualr masking tape? I guess you want to use light coats to keep it from bleeding under the tape.And does the pad need to be prepped before it is painted? Finally...how does it hold up over time? Now...what color to use, steel grey Viper, red engine..........

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The things a guy will do when he lives in the Snowbelt and has cabin fever. Looks to me like you have become an innovator, Im, as it came out looking pretty cool. I vote for Morris to go with the red, and I just finished color matching mine to my car ---okay I lied it came in black, ha.

Very Nice, and it has a great look!!!!!!!!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Very nice look.......
21 days x 2 hours/day = 42 hours, plus materials.

WARNING: COMMERCIAL MESSAGE FOLLOWS-----------

For those of you who are less ambitious, or more time crunched, (or both!) PartsRack can do the same pad for $299, and INCLUDE a new pad!

Two Color choices are yours. You-pik-um, we-paint-um

-5 coats of sealer
-1 coat of white primer
-Mask 2 colors of your chouce
-3 coats paint
-clearcoat the whole logo for protection and ease of cleaning

Custom options include "V-10" "450-HP" "SNAKE-POWER" etc as you like.

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Response to JonB's attempt at commercial innuendo...
I have one of the PartsRack's hood pads and can testify to its beauty,craftsmanship and aesthetic value. It is unbelievable how many compliments I get on it when I raise the hood.

No Flame Intended...Just Observation,

CStegall

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JonB - PartsRack:
Very nice look.......
21 days x 2 hours/day = 42 hours, plus materials.

WARNING: COMMERCIAL MESSAGE FOLLOWS-----------

For those of you who are less ambitious, or more time crunched, (or both!) PartsRack can do the same pad for $299, and INCLUDE a new pad!

Two Color choices are yours. You-pik-um, we-paint-um

-5 coats of sealer
-1 coat of white primer
-Mask 2 colors of your chouce
-3 coats paint
-clearcoat the whole logo for protection and ease of cleaning

Custom options include "V-10" "450-HP" "SNAKE-POWER" etc as you like.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IN A WORD......SOLD!! I'LL BE CALLING YOU MONDAY JONB! I ADMIRE JIM & THE GUYS FOR THEIR CRAFTMANSHIP, BUT I MYSELF, COULD NEVER DO IT. I'M NOT HANDY AT ALL. JONB IS THE <u>PERFECT</u> SOLUTION!

THANKS!

OP
OP
J

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SOCRATES,
You can do it.. the reason it took me so long was, i have 2 little ones (note the toys) and this type of mod is for look.
the stock pad will work of course so if you not going to take your time and make it look great why do it. the key is patients,patients and more patients.
JONB,
Great idea to sell the pads painted.
yes it is an option to go with a pro. would i do it again...?
maybe? if i did not have small children ... other demands make jobs like this more challenging.
Matt M, PA,
Check out the other hood pad thread. i noted the cost of new clips. A must have!!! I just took my pad off and used regular masking tape and taped off the whole logo. shot the whole thing
gloss black (almost 2 cans of it, next time i would use 1 can primer 1 can gloss black) i used the same paint as KEN H described in his posts. rustoleum painter choice for the black.
the painting of the pads was NOT my idea !! i learned it here from the previous posts!!!
then i went down to the local dodge dealer picked up 4 cans total of 4oz spray cans of my paint. (Matt yours steel grey)then came home and shot it into a babyfood jar and painted it by hand.
the paint goes on super thin so i took my time and once i got
afew good base coats to cover the black i started applying a bit heaver. And then put the lights on it to bake in the paint and it got rid of most of the brushmarks.
good luck take your time. i have run my car to operating temp a few times while still in storage and the pad shows no signs of problem from the heat.

lauri,
no hood pad? bummer.

JIM

OP
OP
J

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
King GTS,
what color hood pad are you ordering?
The sapphire blue snake with silver base?

That would be my choice. Exact same colors as your car.
post pics once you get it.

Jim

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Jim, you painted the entire logo first as a primer, right? Why did you decide to brush the color on, as opposed to spraying?

Lauri- Maybe a vinyl Viper graphic on the backside of your hood would look almost as good?

I am going to have to do this project. But a word to the wise. If you are going to do this, and your pad uses the "wingy" shaped clips, they are available at any auto body supply shop. If memory serves me, when I bought them, a whole box was around $10. And, they are the same clips Chrysler used since the early 70s. My '72 Scamp uses the same part for it's hoodpad.

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimandela:
King GTS,
what color hood pad are you ordering?
The sapphire blue snake with silver base?

That would be my choice. Exact same colors as your car.
post pics once you get it.

Jim

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I WILL. I'M ORDERING SAPPHIRE BLUE & CHROME.
smile.gif

SAM Team

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim,

You are the Man the hood pad looks great! Another nice additions to that beautiful Yellow Viper!!!

Guys I did not have the patience as Jim I went the JonB route as well. NOTE: More than likely you will want to put new clips back on because I destroyed just about "all 19" taking mine off of my 2002. I really do not see how any of them should have been reused and I even had a tool to remove them. Before you start even if you do it yourself get some new clips from JonB! Even if you do not use all 19 you will be able to sell to a Viper friend who will be trying this soon, to popular!

OP
OP
J

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Sam.

RED97GTS,
no trick it is tight just go slow trying to remove it it bends
but it is made only of fiberglass insulation so dont pull too much from the heat it might be alittle brittle with age.
mine only had 4,500 miles on it so it wasnt to bad.
putting it back was more difficult. the hinges were a little bit of a pain but you just "make it" fit.
smile.gif

good luck and get new pins i bought a $4 pin popper and it helped.

King GTS,
sounds good cant wait to see it should be awesome.. i love the color combo of your car!!!
thanks again
JIM

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4