My SC Project Begins!!!

Jim Wilson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As some of you may know, I purchased a DLM SC from Bob Hummer back in February (who bought it from Chad Williams but never installed it). I have finally have gotten all of the parts that I need for the install and thought I would post some photos of my progress.

Here is a photo of most of the parts except a set of used BTR Stage II heads, forged pistons and connecting rods. I sent them off to Eddie Martin to be checked out and the pistons fitted to the rods.

3896Pa270001-med.jpg

Step one was to take the hood off and intake......

3896Pa140007-med.jpg

Then I removed the heads and cast pistons.........

3896Pa170013-med.jpg

Removed the water pump for modifications to fit the larger DLM pulley, then installed an ATI damper and the DLM pulley......

3896Pa270030-med.jpg

cut and chamfered the waterpump inlet to clear the pulley...

3896Pa270028-med.jpg

That's it for now........

Still to come are:
installing/routing the fuel system for the additional injectors, water injection, Ron Davis radiator, intercooler and the VEC2.

Joseph Dell was kind enough to offer to help me tune the VEC2, and has been a great help with other issues. So Joe if your listening, I'll be contacting you in a couple of weeks. :2tu:

Other folks that I need to thank so far are:
Jason Heffner for getting me the rods and pistons, AB for helping with the water pump and fuel issues, Doug Levin for his advice and getting some parts that I needed, and Sean Roe for helping me with the VEC2. And all you guys/gals that post on this forum and helped me a bunch. You guys are the best! :2tu:

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with a DLM system! Enjoy it...Pretty cool that you are doing it yourself...if something goes wrong you know where to fix it. Hat's off for doing it yourself. Make sure those fuel lines are secure...nothing to play around with.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice!
Looks like a cool project, lots of work.
(But the results should be great!)

Update with pictures, would be nice to see how the project progresses.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That actually looks like fun! You'll love it! Try and get that done before it gets too hot..!! Nothing like boosting in cold air!! It's UNREAL!! It'll make that 800RWHP in a hot dyno room seem like 900RWHP!!

btw...who's this Doug Levin guy>? Never heard of him...

G

Chuck B 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That will be a really nice project when you get her done. :headbang: You'll be boosting ALL THE TIME with it. Just don't get in any trouble street racing motorcycles :cool:

OP
OP
J

Jim Wilson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That actually looks like fun! You'll love it! Try and get that done before it gets too hot..!! Nothing like boosting in cold air!! It's UNREAL!! It'll make that 800RWHP in a hot dyno room seem like 900RWHP!!

btw...who's this Doug Levin guy>? Never heard of him...

G

Hey Gerald, do you think if I use a VIPAIR it would seem more like 1000RWHP in a hot dyno room? :D (Sorry, couldn't resist)

But seriously, I can't wait to expereince the power you SC and TT guys have been bragging about!

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Enjoy that power. It is good to see a DIY guy with the kit.

Gerald is right, getting it done while you still have some cold air will be a real bonus.

Good luck.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
;)

Vipair.... hmm, never tried that.

But seriously, cold air rules. Chad, is it the same for the turbo's ? I would imagine so, since they both utilize aftercoolers..

G

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The one thing that you'll notice as you put the set-up together is that DLM over-engineered the beejeezus out of the set-up. It is impressive when it is on a car but as you install it, you'll see the attention to detail that was put into building that beast of a set-up.

Good luck with it! If you get in a bind, i'm here to help!

JD

OP
OP
J

Jim Wilson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today I removed the front fascia and radiator. I can't believe how cheesey the stock radiator is. It is virtually the same size and thickness as the radiator in my Tacoma, and my Tacoma is only 3.4 liter!

Also,...the next time you change your coolant, remove the fan shroud and pull the radiator; you would not believe the crap that gets in between it and the AC condenser. Also, remove the cover in front and on top of the radiator as plenty of stuff gets wedged between the condenser and the oil cooler as well....just an FYI.

3896Pa280004-med.jpg

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that's serious :eek: your gonna love your DlM car. are youg going to change the cam shaft?
Max

OP
OP
J

Jim Wilson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that's serious :eek: your gonna love your DlM car. are youg going to change the cam shaft?
Max

I originally planned to change the cam, but decided to stay with the stock one. I bought a big comp cam from a guy on the board, but had concerns with drivability and emissions, so if anyone is interested in a good deal on a cam just let me know. :2tu: My main concern is to be emissions legal and Doug said that my cam will work well with this setup.

OP
OP
J

Jim Wilson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got the intercooler, radiator, cross member, ARP studs, thermostat and water pump mounted........

3896PB060008-med.JPG

Modified the fiberglass bumper and metal brackets for the intercooler.........

3896PB060007-med.JPG

I just found out from Eddie Martin that the forged pistons are 51 grams heavier than the stock ones, so I need to have him balance the motor. Kinda bummed that I overlooked that, but super glad that Eddie caught it before it was too late. :2tu:

OP
OP
J

Jim Wilson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phil,
There are more photo's in my gallery, and I have a few on my PC. Not sure if they would show much more detail though.

Let me know what your looking for and I'll try help. When I did my install, Joseph Dell helped me a bunch. One funny thing about Joseph (I can laugh now) is it seemed that almost every time I asked him a question, he would start off with something like "Oh...that's the easy part". :bonker: At the time though, I didn't have a clue.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Oh...that's the easy part"....heard it already....lol

im gonna go look thru your gallery and if i need more when the time comes, im gonna ask.

thanx

sshorty

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim before you install the vec2, look into the AEM, it has more tunability and should be able to squeeze an additional 40-50 hp in the hands of someone who knows how to tune really well. Good luck either way, looks like its coming along nicely.

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really cool project you have going there. Good luck with everything.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang