MY SIGNATURE IS IN VIOLATION ??? What Gives ??

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
STU and Luc... great posts.

I kept quiet for a bit, to make sure my rant wasnt unhead of, but you both articulated similar perspectives to mine, better then I think I could. Appeciate that.

And to answer to Joseph, I do not know that your options are bad ones, but I still dont get how mine is so aweful, the problem I have with yours is that it only gives details of where you got your car, not if you are satisfied with the service. Lets face it, we all want to know where to buy our cars at a great price, and with great service, just as we want to know good vendors and bad vendors. I just dont get how what I was doing was wrong.

I'm hoping this is a board for its members, by its members. Lets work to govern ourself. Why not ask what we prefer, I'd be ok with a vote from the members, and what is decided is the direction we go. I believe in democracy, not dictatorship.

Jon

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
STU and Luc... great posts.

I kept quiet for a bit, to make sure my rant wasnt unhead of, but you both articulated similar perspectives to mine, better then I think I could. Appeciate that.

And to answer to Joseph, I do not know that your options are bad ones, but I still dont get how mine is so aweful, the problem I have with yours is that it only gives details of where you got your car, not if you are satisfied with the service. Lets face it, we all want to know where to buy our cars at a great price, and with great service, just as we want to know good vendors and bad vendors. I just dont get how what I was doing was wrong.

I'm hoping this is a board for its members, by its members. Lets work to govern ourself. Why not ask what we prefer, I'd be ok with a vote from the members, and what is decided is the direction we go. I believe in democracy, not dictatorship.

Jon

great post :2tu: my choice - DEMOCRACY - it is worth the price.

i must say i cant believe the ones who are fine with DICTATORSHIP but there is
a reason right ? there always is :2tu: :D

vipurrman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:eek: If you want to see some REALLY WILD posts, go to www.cafepharma.com . That's the anonymous post board for all of the pharmaceutical reps to blow off steam.........WOW!!!!!! :eek:

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the quintessential .org v. .com argument. Heck, I took a sabbatical from this site for a time and was involved, to a small extent, in setting up some of the guidelines over at the Alley (where I still moderate). So, I truly, have a rather unique perspective on this issue.

Not surprisingly, I see both sides of the argument. It's a classic freedom of speech compromise....only here at the VCA, yelling fire in a crowded theatre is akin to insulting an income contributing sponsor. Maintaining a "reasonable" balance is NOT an easy task made even more difficult by the fact that "reasonable" is never a fixed measure.

Much of the "Alley uprising" came about as a result of the VCA site censorship AND the incendiary distinct lack of communication at that time. I'd like to think that, at a minimum, the second ingredient (communication) is much improved.

Unfortunately, there is no absolute "fix." If the site is to operate, it must earn the income necessary to support itself. Though some have expressed an opinion in this thread that they'd pay more in dues to support this site (potentially eliminating the need for sponsors), that opinion is not held by the majority of VCA members. So, income generating site sponsors remain. And yes, to some extent, they will influence site admin decisions. Again, it comes down to maintaining a reasonable balance...which often has the appeal of "kissing your sister...."

Personally, I would prefer the site to be operated with far less censorship (and perhaps a far greater sense of humor), however, I respect and appreciate the fact that the line has to be drawn somewhere. And regardless of where, it will ALWAYS create SOME frustration and dissention. Such is life.

BTW- Despite my position as a region officer, my opinion does not in any way represent that of the VCA.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
--------------------
Vipers.... So finger licking good, I had to buy a second one, for my Dad !!

I'm sorry, but I take offense to that. Clearly it is a self-promoting comment you are making. In contrast, it makes me look like a schmuck, because I haven't bought a Viper for anyone. That's absolutely unfair, and I am going to ask that your signature be modified. After all, if we can't promote others, we shouldn't be allowed to promote ourselves!
;)

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Jon

I agree!!! So I vote 1 vote to ban Jon Assvedo off this board! :D :D

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This whole issue shouldn't be such a big deal.

To the original poster, the problem IMO is not that you say you are happy with your dealer, it was that you were SOLICITING customers for that dealer and as such you are pretty much acting in the manner of a salesman.

I cant imagine anyone would have a problem with a sig like "I got my Viper at Hendrick Dodge and I was happy 100%". But *soliciting* more business for them makes you a salesman, whether paid or not paid, and while we can disagree with the severity of the transgression, its pretty clear that it does step on the toes of paying advertisers.

The rule should be clear - being happy about a non-sponsoring vendor is fine, saying you are happy is fine. Soliciting on behalf of said vendor, or continuously talking about said vendor in a manner that solicits additional business should be a no-no. I would argue that just putting a vendor name in a sig is not 'continously talking about a vendor'. I would define that sort of solicitation as deliberately dragging up old threads to mention said vendor, or steering topics towards discussions of said vendor.

Don't solicit business on their behalf and it should be ok.

Reaction score

To the original poster, the problem IMO is not that you say you are happy with your dealer, it was that you were SOLICITING customers for that dealer and as such you are pretty much acting in the manner of a salesman.

I cant imagine anyone would have a problem with a sig like "I got my Viper at Hendrick Dodge and I was happy 100%". But *soliciting* more business for them makes you a salesman, whether paid or not paid, and while we can disagree with the severity of the transgression, its pretty clear that it does step on the toes of paying advertisers.

The rule should be clear - being happy about a non-sponsoring vendor is fine, saying you are happy is fine. Soliciting on behalf of said vendor, or continuously talking about said vendor in a manner that solicits additional business should be a no-no. I would argue that just putting a vendor name in a sig is not 'continously talking about a vendor'. I would define that sort of solicitation as deliberately dragging up old threads to mention said vendor, or steering topics towards discussions of said vendor.

WHOA!!!! Blast from the PAST!!! How the he(( are you Mike????!!! :)

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Let me be the second to say Blast from the Past!!
Welcome back!

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TO Blast From the past.

Thanks for your opinion. I disagree though. I dont think there is ANYTHING wrong with stating I have had excellent service with someone I bought something from and recommending you do too, if you are in such a need.

Under this model, let me NOT recommend that you get Gas from BP right? I mean we have even recommend each other buy gas from a certain gas station, because we feel its better quality, and warned about buying it from other places.

Next, oil, how many times have we recommended what oil people should use? Tranny fluid? etc... Are they all paying Viper Club ?? Because if they are I'll shut the hell up. This is picking and chosing in my opinion. And thats all this is, eveyones opinion, just like the recommendations.

So I take it, now Viperclub will determine which recommendations are allowed? Got it.. makes total Bull$hit $ense to me... but yeah, got it.

Thanks all..

Jon

PS. AB I vote you lick my ball bearings. And go back your boyfriend's wheel bearing greese. :rolleyes:

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
PS. AB I vote you lick my ball bearings. And go back your boyfriend's wheel bearing greese. :rolleyes:

Hey sensative boy toy....the comment above....is that after you pull your finger out and have the the finger licking good experience that you would like to lick my ball bearngs? You may want to put that wheel bearing grease on your buddies finger when he sticks it in sideways...might make a better experience for your sensative asss. LOL! Putz! :D

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Anthony,

IF you're serious.... not sure, as your part of a rather sarcastic topic... you can e-mail Jay and he'll e-mail you the very competitive rates.

VERY Tough issue, and definitely open to suggestions.

Our sponsors generously support our website and for their support are offered exclusive benefits that include banners, posting privileges, announcements, classifieds, etc.

These sponsors are VERY sensitive to those who try to "circumnavigate" sponsorship with "free" advertising... please take no offense, Jon, or others, as we understand AND appreciate when you are enthusiastic about a dealer!

So now comes the hard part, should we allow your signature to include the name of the dealer you bought your Viper from?

If so, should it be limited to:

A) "ABC Dealership '03 SRT-10"

or

B) "I love my ABC Dealership '04 SRT-10"

or

C) "Buy your next Viper at ABC Dealership '04 SRT-10"

or... as has been the case in the past, should the signature be designed to help describe your car:

D) "ABC Mambasize 800hp package '04 SRT-10"

Yes, hopefully everyone has found a Viper enthusiastic dealer, and surely has the opportunity to talk about them when posts come up requesting "Who's the best dealer....." and "Where should I buy....." or "Looking for......", but will we dilute the value of advertising (yes, this is important as it does drive revenue into our VCA, and helps support the server/hosting/software expenses of our site) and risk losing sincere, loyal and generous sponsors?

Once again, our site WANTS to allow enthusiastic VCA members methods to shout about their preferred dealers... but the question is how to do this without turning this into a competition for "non sponsoring dealer band width".

Joe, I see you are the Media Director. Please let me know how I can advertise on this site. If needed you can send me a PM.

Thank you,

Anthony

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Thanks Mike..... and WELCOME BACK!!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32