My snake seems to be purging anti-freeze... (?)

tarfungo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I haven’t driven my snake for a few weeks due to rain and such so I took it out today for about a 20-mile run. While out on my run the temp gauge never showed any signs of high temps.

Everything performed as expected, but upon my return I noticed that a LOT of anti-freeze (?) was spilling out on the floor of my garage. It intermittently seemed to be coming from the front most area under the front fascia were there is a hole about 1” in diameter - almost like it was boiling over. I checked the radiator level after it cooled a bit. While a little low, it wasn’t at a dangerous level. :confused:

Has anyone had this happen his or her snake and if so, do I need to do something or is this just a wait and see thing?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Have also seen this with bad pressure cap ("radiator cap")...might try new one (cheap) after you check for overflow bottle puncture mentioned above.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is easy, exact thing happened to me.
1. Is facia tank full or empty? Remove donut in front of front wheel, get small light in hole and shine directly on bottle while looking through viewing level slot. Sometimes this is very hard ot see and doing it at night in garage is good tip. You can remove the line going to the bottle, blow in it and see if it bubbles. If tank is full, the punctured screw is not your problem. Empty and it might be. Remove the screw anyways, saw off the tip just a little and round off the end, reinstall.
2. Buy a new radiator cap from Tator, he'll give discount, no shipping, and it will be at your door in a few days. Get a 2001 cap, do not get an OEM 95 cap. One had drop center and one spring, search old posts on this but trust me and get the 01.
3. Use small spring clamps, I found a pack at Autozone for $2, and clamp the rubber to metal transitions on the hose going from surrogate tank to facia tank. System could be drawing air in during cool down.

Problem will be fixed.

FLOORIN04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
95 viper-sounds like you went thru this before.

had a jeep do this once tried everything to stop it.When it would do it i just told everyone it was just marking its territory. :D Finally gave up i tried everything took it to garage said it was air bound :eek:

i would follow 95 vipers advice seems like it would work and safer then what i did smarter too :2tu:

OP
OP
T

tarfungo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Thanks for all of eth information…

Are you using the Roe anode cap? That can cause this problem.

95Viper…

Hmmm.. Well before I do anything here - I DO have a ROE sacrificial anode. Is there some problem with this unit? I’ve had it for a while without any issues. Dose anyone have any further information concerning this?

BruceW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cut the spring down to about an inch long and then the anode won't get caught up inside the tank and hold the relief valve open.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tarfungo, The reason why I went through those steps is because there really are multiple issues that could cause the problem and it is so cheap to fix them all at once.

The reason I specify the 01 OEM cap is the spring center versus drop center. Hold up the cap as if it was on and look from underneath. The small center disc about the size of a dime dangles from a 95 OEM cap. It is spring loaded on a 01. Do not confuse this with the larger spring that compresses when you push down and install cap.

Drop center caps can hang up.