My Stock 06 Vert Turns a New Best E.T. of 11.69 @ 120.82

Speedfreak

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great night at the track tonight. After continuing to refine my driving technique on this car, it finally all came together tonight and I posted a best time of 11.69 at 120.8 MPH on a bone stock car with run flats. Anybody done better?

Track prep was very good and the weather was good but not great. Density altitude was right at sea level to -100 ft. My previous best was 11.807 at 120.39. But with better launch consistency and trying different techniques with the 1-2 shift I kept wittling it down. Here are the runs:

1. 11.98 @ 119.4
2. 11.82 @ 120.9
3. 11.81 @ 121.2
4. 11.82 @ 120.8
5. 11.75 @ 120.4
6. 11.75 @ 120.8

and the best run:

60' 1.792
330 4.980
1/8 7.597
MPH 95.08
1000 9.822
1/4 11.693
MPH 120.82

There is alot more in a stock gen III than people give them credit for. And with a DR or good traction I'll bet this car is an 11.45 car.

The weather got even better as the evening went on (I made my last pass at 7:20 P.M. but they were racing until 12 midnight) so there was still the chance of a really killer pass with the temperature drop down into the low 50's or high 40's but I had to go. Probably the last cold weather racing we will see in Florida this year. Still, I was very happy with the results.:)

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great result.

1. What was your launch technique?

2. What worked best with the 1-2 shift?

OP
OP
S

Speedfreak

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great result.

1. What was your launch technique?

2. What worked best with the 1-2 shift?

On the launch I would hold the tach at 2750-3250 RPMs depending on track condition. The release is very quick, almost like one step removed from an intended burnout. If I just drop the clutch at that rpm it will spin but if I release it very quickly but smoothly combined with timing the throttle application to coincide with hitting the floor board right as the clutch is fully engaged. Not easy to do but if done right the car jumps of the line with no bog and accelerates briskly with no wheel spin or just a little hopping out of one side or the other. This will deliver consistent 1.85-1.88 60' times and with it all perfect 1.77-1.79.

On the 1-2 shift. This in my opinion is where all the lost potential is in this car (03-06) and it is very hard to tap it consistently with stock tires (runflats). Since I feel like I have about tapped out the potential of the car with run flats, probably the next thing I will do is a tire change. That alone, I think, will make a huge difference in e.t. for the car. And, frankly, all the vettes I see out there do not run stock tires anyway.
If you power shift the car in the 1-2 shift it leaves 3-4 tenths on the table. The wheel hop and spin are unpredictable and violent. So what I have done is gradually work back from there to try and find a balance between speed of the shift and traction thereafter. What seems to work best is a quasi-speed shift with me total letting off the gas and changing gears and reengaging as quickly as possible, all time in unison. When I get it just right its pretty fast and the tire just chirps on clutch reengagement. But it is very hard to do it consistently. With better tires you would gain both speed in the shift and traction with full power hitting the ground to boot. Would make it like a different car.

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been drag racing for the past two decades and I must say a
1.79 60' time with these particular run-flats is fantastic. There in lies pretty much your entire ET. Although I don't want to down play your 1-2 shift technique...it is mostly all in your 60'. Fabulous times for a stocker.

OP
OP
S

Speedfreak

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've been drag racing for the past two decades and I must say a
1.79 60' time with these particular run-flats is fantastic. There in lies pretty much your entire ET. Although I don't want to down play your 1-2 shift technique...it is mostly all in your 60'. Fabulous times for a stocker.

Thanks guys for the cudos. I agree the 60' is the bulk of this but here is one of the other times I ran that had the same 60' but noticeably slower e.t. This is the 1-2 shift nemesis at work. These passes were run less than 15 minutes apart. The second one gives up .63 seconds despite launching as good.

60' 1.792 1.796
330' 4.980 5.008
1/8 7.597 7.647
mph 95.08 94.50
1000 9.822 9.881
1/4 11.693 11.756
mph 120.82 120.88

You just never know how much the car will bark, fishtail, spin or hop in that shift. The 2-3 shift might have played a small role but the power shift there is very predictable and holds good traction. That giant torque is a blessing and a curse. But I wouldn't have it any other way. Its a challenge to drive and alot of fun.:)

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Fastest run I have heard of in a stock gen 3 on run flats..best for me was 11.92 at 121.9 for my stock car.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speed freak. Im very impressed and no EXACTLY what your saying about that 1-2 shift...I noticed the same thing when testing and tuning..That 1-2 shift is just crazy on the srt10 because the car just wants to loose it but if you find the fine line then she goes down the track much faster..

11.6 is fast..The fastest I dont know..Their was another guy claiming 11.6's but he never really posted much about it..

I see a lot of 119-121 mph trapps..What your highest trap speed ever in the stocker?

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran 11.90 @ 122 in my '06 Coupe stock, but with only a 1.94 60'.

I do agree with your 1-2 shift thoughts though, and it gets even worse when you change rear end gears.

I put 3.55's in my '06, and while I consistently ran 1.8x 60's, the 1-2 shift was really tricky! Even with a quick upshift like you decribed by competely removing your foot from the go-pedal, it would still break the tires loose for ~10' or so, depending on conditions.

I eventually ran 11.66 @ 123 in that car (DC Tune, Corsa, Filters, Gears, PS2's), but I feel there was still 2-3 tenths left in it, IF 2nd gear could've hooked.:dunno:

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have some 3:73 gears and want to try launching in 2nd gear and see. Also running PS cups. Anyone ever try this? Season opens next month Also want to try out a pair of MT drag tires.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excellent results, best I've seen. I'm glad to see that you continue to visit the track and post results from your own experience. This kind of info is 10000x better than all the magazine/bench racing that has been going on in this forum lately. Maybe now that you have proven that driver seat time does improve track times, you might accept some of those passes made by "other" brands a little more than you did before. Good track times come from excellent weather conditions and driver practice, no matter what type of vehicle.

Tony

OP
OP
S

Speedfreak

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Speed freak. Im very impressed and no EXACTLY what your saying about that 1-2 shift...I noticed the same thing when testing and tuning..That 1-2 shift is just crazy on the srt10 because the car just wants to loose it but if you find the fine line then she goes down the track much faster..

11.6 is fast..The fastest I dont know..Their was another guy claiming 11.6's but he never really posted much about it..

I see a lot of 119-121 mph trapps..What your highest trap speed ever in the stocker?

My best trap speed has been 123 and 123.5. The first was on the night I set my previous best e.t. of 11.807. The weather was incredible for Florida with a DA of -1000 to -1300 feet. The second was on another great weather night (where I was hoping to improve on my time) with negative DA weather but the track prep just wasn't there. And with the temps in the 40's these two nights the added power was counteracted by the cold pavement down the track. I got the best of both with this latest track day. It got to the 80's during the day and the prep was great and then it cooled off fast after sun down. Made for that nice combo of better traction with car making good but not great power. But I was able to get most of it to the ground and hence the results.

OP
OP
S

Speedfreak

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I ran 11.90 @ 122 in my '06 Coupe stock, but with only a 1.94 60'.

I do agree with your 1-2 shift thoughts though, and it gets even worse when you change rear end gears.

I put 3.55's in my '06, and while I consistently ran 1.8x 60's, the 1-2 shift was really tricky! Even with a quick upshift like you decribed by competely removing your foot from the go-pedal, it would still break the tires loose for ~10' or so, depending on conditions.

I eventually ran 11.66 @ 123 in that car (DC Tune, Corsa, Filters, Gears, PS2's), but I feel there was still 2-3 tenths left in it, IF 2nd gear could've hooked.:dunno:

11.66 is getting it done. Nice job! You read my mind on the gears. I am planning to go to 3.55s also but have held off for the exact reason you state. I figured if 1-2 traction is tough now that it would be even worse with the gears and probably be a wash with the better launch and acceleration elsewhere in the power band. We will see as I hope to do this soon. I do think that with a DR or good traction that a 3.55 would make this car fly. That is the real test. Everyone likes to add horsepower to the car (its a disease we all have. LOL. I can't hold out much longer either) but that just makes the difficulties of driving this car worse. With a 3.55, DR and driver skill I wouldn't be surprised to see some 11.30 range e.t.s with a stocker in great weather.

OP
OP
S

Speedfreak

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Excellent results, best I've seen. I'm glad to see that you continue to visit the track and post results from your own experience. This kind of info is 10000x better than all the magazine/bench racing that has been going on in this forum lately. Maybe now that you have proven that driver seat time does improve track times, you might accept some of those passes made by "other" brands a little more than you did before. Good track times come from excellent weather conditions and driver practice, no matter what type of vehicle.

Tony

Uh, thanks, I think. Not sure we ever disagreed on practice improving drag racing results and I agree posting actual results beats bench racing any day. As to those passes by the "other brands" driver practice doesn't change trap speed from 123 to 128 on a purported "stock" car. I don't think anyone is doubting a 120 mph trap speed in good weather on an 06 viper is stock. But an 11.69 at 126mph, what would you have to say about that? As I have said before I don't doubt many of the times, I DOUBT whether they are stock cars (this excludes you, Furman and Smith). That has been repeatedly confirmed by my actual visits of late to the strip and watching the "other brands" run. Just like the latest ZR1 shananigans in my other thread. I should have interviewed these guys and documented how many said it was stock. Wait till I put DRs on this car and post my "stock" results like the vette guys do.

In any event I appreciate the congratulations. And I also notice, conspicously, the absence of any congratulations from 1BadGTS or Furman. I believe my time is what, 3 tenths off 1BadGTS's (second fastest I am told) time in his 08 with 100+ HP more, 9 MPH in trap speed and PS2s for traction and the glory driver Evan Smith at the wheel. You would have thought he would have been jumping up and down with this great performance in a stock 06. I did notice he was the first post in my ZR1 thread, about how bad ass the ZR1 is. Hmmm.

By the way, I do think a big help in mastering driving the Viper on stock rubber is lots of practice in old muscle cars with 4spds, lots of horsepower and skinny tires like you have, I have and Furman has. It really teaches you the finesse skills in making it all work. Would be fun to get the old muscle out there sometime and see what we could do.

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Speedf,
Did the track allow you to run the Vert with no roll bar? Mine localy will allow only one pass into the 11's without rollbar. I know different tracks have different rules. Was just curious? Like I said above great numbers and driving!:2tu:

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well said speed freak..With so many people teetering around the 12.0-12.2 range I had almost forgot that SRT10 verts were 11 second cars from the factory..

Most people go to the track once or twice and run a 12.1 at 120 off a 2.0 60 ft and get mods right after so on their next outing they hit an 11.xx..

Happy to see you went the extra mile

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is an absolutely excellent time and description of how you were able to obtain it! THANKS!! I am going to the track in two weeks and my car is a real motha to get to stick. In the 1-2 shift I spin all the way to 4500 rpm in second if I keep it floored, and thats on PS-2's w/ good rubber.

When the Gen 3 first came out Motor Trend ran 11.77 in the 1/4 mile on stock run flats. But your time is the best I have EVER heard!:nana:

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Makes me almost want to get another gen3 over the gen4..Almost..he he he he

Speedfreak..I cant wait to see what you can do if you get in another negative 1000 DA with the 122-123 mph trapps again and good driving..I since a 11.4 at 123 on the horizion..Keep it up man

OP
OP
S

Speedfreak

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Speedf,
Did the track allow you to run the Vert with no roll bar? Mine localy will allow only one pass into the 11's without rollbar. I know different tracks have different rules. Was just curious? Like I said above great numbers and driving!:2tu:

Shandon, you might want to get a copy of the latest NHRA manual. They actually have a section in there dedicated to high performance street cars where they have changed the rules to 11.50 for verts or hardtops if they are stock (or near stock). The rule change was in response to the Viper and vette which can run these times stock. I notice alot of tracks are not aware of this change but if you get the book you can point it out and that will probably be the end of it. They don't require any bar in my vert down to 11.50 if I remember right.

OP
OP
S

Speedfreak

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is an absolutely excellent time and description of how you were able to obtain it! THANKS!! I am going to the track in two weeks and my car is a real motha to get to stick. In the 1-2 shift I spin all the way to 4500 rpm in second if I keep it floored, and thats on PS-2's w/ good rubber.

When the Gen 3 first came out Motor Trend ran 11.77 in the 1/4 mile on stock run flats. But your time is the best I have EVER heard!:nana:

Glad the description helped! You will need all the finesse you can muster to get 528 RWHP to hook. That is alot of power (GenIV level)and it is a finnicky process. PS-2s are supposed to really help but sounds like you have to much zip for them too. You might want to stick a DR on there and see what she will do. You have the power for a potential 10 second ride.

OP
OP
S

Speedfreak

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Makes me almost want to get another gen3 over the gen4..Almost..he he he he

Speedfreak..I cant wait to see what you can do if you get in another negative 1000 DA with the 122-123 mph trapps again and good driving..I since a 11.4 at 123 on the horizion..Keep it up man

With traction it is possible. But with the run flats, I don't think so. Much of the extra horsepower made by the weather is lost in more wheel spin because of the tire. I will have to make a tire change for sure. And unfortunately the cold weather is about done here (dammit!) But I am very tempted to put some DRs on and go eat some vets for breakfast. I honestly can't imagine what these cars will do with a solid hook on the 1-2 shift with no traction loss and even a better 60' foot. It is alot of time, believe me. Thanks for the kind words.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad the description helped! You will need all the finesse you can muster to get 528 RWHP to hook. That is alot of power (GenIV level)and it is a finnicky process. PS-2s are supposed to really help but sounds like you have to much zip for them too. You might want to stick a DR on there and see what she will do. You have the power for a potential 10 second ride.

Thanks again! The 528 rwhp was tested right after my mods and on a DynoJet. I tested it again about 8 months later and got 512 rwhp on a Mustang Dyno and like 528 rwtq on the Mustang. Now, people tell me all kinds of things about the difference between the two dynos, but my torque seems monstrous to what I had at stock...and that is what worries me when it comes to traction. If the 20% loss factor w/ Mustangs is correct, then I am putting down like 660 fly wheel torque. Thats about a hundred more torque than a gen 4, and may explain why I spin all the way to 4000+ rpm in second at WOT.

I am going to use your techniques on the 14th when I hit the track and I will post the results...good or bad.

OP
OP
S

Speedfreak

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks again! The 528 rwhp was tested right after my mods and on a DynoJet. I tested it again about 8 months later and got 512 rwhp on a Mustang Dyno and like 528 rwtq on the Mustang. Now, people tell me all kinds of things about the difference between the two dynos, but my torque seems monstrous to what I had at stock...and that is what worries me when it comes to traction. If the 20% loss factor w/ Mustangs is correct, then I am putting down like 660 fly wheel torque. Thats about a hundred more torque than a gen 4, and may explain why I spin all the way to 4000+ rpm in second at WOT.

I am going to use your techniques on the 14th when I hit the track and I will post the results...good or bad.

Damn, You have some power plant. Put some DRs on that baby and put the vettes where they belong - at the back of the line.

Slypopsracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Speedfreak, You are surely on to something wi remark concerning starting out wi the old muscle cars. I ran Pure Stock NHRA in 1970 71 wi my 1970 GTO and all we could change were metering rods in the carb and springs in the dist.That s it!! I could launch that Bad Boy wi a vengence, so run flats were never really that bad properly prepped. No, I m not giving up the PS 2s, I m just saying "all is relative" Congrats on the times, I m sure glad I didn t have to run you pure stock back in the day!!

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Speed, any Z06's or Zr1's at the track w/ you that night? How was the comp running?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kodiakleather