My Stock 06 Vert Turns a New Best E.T. of 11.69 @ 120.82

OP
OP
S

Speedfreak

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Speedfreak, You are surely on to something wi remark concerning starting out wi the old muscle cars. I ran Pure Stock NHRA in 1970 71 wi my 1970 GTO and all we could change were metering rods in the carb and springs in the dist.That s it!! I could launch that Bad Boy wi a vengence, so run flats were never really that bad properly prepped. No, I m not giving up the PS 2s, I m just saying "all is relative" Congrats on the times, I m sure glad I didn t have to run you pure stock back in the day!!

I know exactly what you mean and always happy to run into a pontiac fan!! Try launching 400+ horsepower on some bias plys that have 6" of tread width! You are exactly right! Compared to that the run flat seems like a drag slick. LOL. I mean you can hardly start crying over 13 inches of tread on the pavement anyway you look at it.

One of my other cars is a 68 Firebird convertible (I have had the car 23 years since I was a kid) with a 525HP 468CI with M20 4spd and 3.23 gears. It is VERY VERY hard to hook off the line with the 235/60/15s T/A radials on it now and those are much larger than the original tires and are radials not bias ply like original. After driving it, I get in the viper and feel like I have Hoosier R6s on the back!

If you want to see some driving skill watch these racers in the muscle car FAST series (factory appearing stock tire). They can run any engine in the car that was originally available but must run the factory rim and tire. The current king is running a 69 Vette with an L88 4spd, 3.90 gear and bias ply skinnies. He is getting very low 11's in this combo. Unbelievable.

OP
OP
S

Speedfreak

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Speed, any Z06's or Zr1's at the track w/ you that night? How was the comp running?

Thats a loaded question because it is at the core of another thread or two on the Z06. There was a ZR1 there that ran 10.55 at 137. First ZR1 I have ever seen run. All in attendance, of course, swore it was stock. I said no way after listening to the idle and exhaust, etc. Turns out I was right as some others in that other thread tracked down the car and it was indeed heavily modified. That is the dilemma. There are some documented fast times in stock Z06s but I see an awful lot claiming to be stock when they are not. But my experience at my track is most run 11.40 to 11.70 and ARE MODDED with traction aides, and engine mods. I saw one 10.98 at 133 in a Z06 with drag radials and nitrous. Other than that the best I have seen is 11.31 at 128. This car also had drag radials and engine mods.

So IMHO your car with traction and good driving should be a high 10 to very low 11 second car. The funny thing is I don't see very many vipers at my track and none run DRs which practically every vette I see has (I see dozens of Z06s at the track). So its not easy to make direct comparisons. I really want to put a set of DRs on mine and see what it will do without wheel spin. I think it might be a very pleasant surprise.

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Uh, thanks, I think. Not sure we ever disagreed on practice improving drag racing results and I agree posting actual results beats bench racing any day. As to those passes by the "other brands" driver practice doesn't change trap speed from 123 to 128 on a purported "stock" car. I don't think anyone is doubting a 120 mph trap speed in good weather on an 06 viper is stock. But an 11.69 at 126mph, what would you have to say about that? As I have said before I don't doubt many of the times, I DOUBT whether they are stock cars (this excludes you, Furman and Smith). That has been repeatedly confirmed by my actual visits of late to the strip and watching the "other brands" run. Just like the latest ZR1 shananigans in my other thread. I should have interviewed these guys and documented how many said it was stock. Wait till I put DRs on this car and post my "stock" results like the vette guys do.

In any event I appreciate the congratulations. And I also notice, conspicously, the absence of any congratulations from 1BadGTS. I believe my time is what, 3 tenths off 1BadGTS's (second fastest I am told) time in his 08 with 100+ HP more, 9 MPH in trap speed and PS2s for traction and the glory driver Evan Smith at the wheel. You would have thought he would have been jumping up and down with this great performance in a stock 06. I did notice he was the first post in my ZR1 thread, about how bad ass the ZR1 is. Hmmm.

You really expect to get a congratulations from a vette fanboi?
He might chime in now, since I posted though.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speedfreak, don't jump to conclusions! I haven't been on the board for a while because I get tired of debating with Posers like most of the guys that post in these threads are! I see some have found time to post in this thread as well, and I find it easier to just read and not comment and I imagine that might be the case with a couple of other guys as well. I wouldn't of posted on this thread either if not for your comments of not getting props from me, as the arguing gets old and ruins good debate and rather than mess up your thread with some troll following my comments I didn't comment. Congrats on great driving, and the best times I have seen posted by a stock Gen 3 and some of the best times I have seen posted by any stock Viper of any year! Good job!

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speedfreak, don't jump to conclusions! I haven't been on the board for a while because I get tired of debating with Posers like most of the guys that post in these threads are! I see some have found time to post in this thread as well, and I find it easier to just read and not comment and I imagine that might be the case with a couple of other guys as well. I wouldn't of posted on this thread either if not for your comments of not getting props from me, as the arguing gets old and ruins good debate and rather than mess up your thread with some troll following my comments I didn't comment. Congrats on great driving, and the best times I have seen posted by a stock Gen 3 and some of the best times I have seen posted by any stock Viper of any year! Good job!

:D I think he was referring to another person, not you.:D

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was gonna say..I thought Jamie had ran some 11.8's in his stock GTS???

And speed freak I agree with you 100%...While I think the C6Z06 is an awesome car..My 450 rwhp 99 rt10 kept pretty close and my 475 rwhp SRT10 beat one a few times..

My buddies stock C6Z06 has ran a best of 12.1 at 121 mph..So..UHH..I dont know man..Id have to see one trap 127 PLUS mph to really beleave it

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
:D I think he was referring to another person, not you.:D

My trapped worked. Heres my 2 conclusions that I came up with.

1. 1badgts is Jaime's AE.

2. 1Badgts immediatly called in Jaime to come in and chime in for him.

OP
OP
S

Speedfreak

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Thanks Jamie and no harm no foul. I shouldn't have made that remark in the first place. I think I missed my morning coffee and was suffering from withdrawal. LOL.

OP
OP
S

Speedfreak

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was gonna say..I thought Jamie had ran some 11.8's in his stock GTS???

And speed freak I agree with you 100%...While I think the C6Z06 is an awesome car..My 450 rwhp 99 rt10 kept pretty close and my 475 rwhp SRT10 beat one a few times..

My buddies stock C6Z06 has ran a best of 12.1 at 121 mph..So..UHH..I dont know man..Id have to see one trap 127 PLUS mph to really beleave it

I haven't really run against any Z06s yet. But I have watched many of them run. They are usually shooting for that killer time and spend alot of time in the cool down lane out of the main action. Then when they run it is usually against another Z. Based on the times I have seen, though, I would be beat by most of them. But again, the cars I have watched are not stock, so it is apples to oranges!!! When I take my car out of the stock category then I will go hunting! But there is a very wide range of performance mostly based on driver. I will give you a perfect example with my Viper. Last time I was out (before the current session) I finally came across another viper. It was modded with exhaust, after market wheels and tires (nittos I think), etc. This guy wanted to run me and so I said o.k. I had never seen his run, but it clearly wasn't stock. We lined up and I smoked him with an 11.8 something to his 12.20. But he trapped 3-4 mph more than me indicating he had considerably more power. We ran 3 more times and I put him away every time with less car. Then I started giving him some pointers on how to drive the car and just watched. He took three more runs and finished with an 11.82 at 124 a big improvement. If I had run him then he probably would have beat me.

The same is true of Zs. There is a wide range of driver skill level probably comprising three quarters of a second in e.t. with the same car at the track on any given night. But the Z is easier to drive, lighter and has better stock traction than a Viper so a novice will get more out of it. Driver mistakes in a Viper are rewarded harshly. If I run a 2.0 or 2.1 60 foot in my viper I turn a 12.20 to 12.40 e.t. whereas the Z I think will still turn a high 11 with that run. Once that torque is translated to wheel spin its over in the Viper.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And herein is the argument: The Viper, to my understanding, was never meant to be a 1/4 mile car. It was design to set records at the Gring, it was designed to be a track car. I am not sure if the torque is a major advantage in road courses, but I suspect so.

And like you, the day I blew my engine I had maybe 485 rwhp. I raced a buddy of mine who had Paxtoned 774 rwhp in a Gen 2 ACR. I had him by close to 5 cars by the time he came out of his white wheel-spin smoke. I still beat him by a car and a half at the finish. I blew my engine about an hour later on a road course. I have had BMW M-3's kick my ass out of the hole, only to catch them at 60 mph and walk them.

I agree, it boils down to the 60' times and the 1-2 shift. Most Viper owners do not get to practice this under maximum acceleration. My car has Belangers, so if I hit it and try to get any practice in anywhere but a private track, every cop w/in 3 miles can hear me. Since there are 20 Z06's for every Viper, and they tend to be quieter and easier to drive, they get more practice and seem to have lower, better times....that is until Speedfreak and Jamie Furman show up!:2tu:

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speedfreak and Jamie, what are your views on a 3:55 rear end and 1/4 mile times? I think they add to wheel spin and hurt. What say you?

viperjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My best time with a stock 2003 is 11.68 @ 121. The stock Runflats are an issue but can be controlled with a little practice. I am a massive powershifter. I am going to ease up on the 1-2 shift and see if that helps. Congrats on your best time. 11.4 is only around the corner!

OP
OP
S

Speedfreak

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My best time with a stock 2003 is 11.68 @ 121. The stock Runflats are an issue but can be controlled with a little practice. I am a massive powershifter. I am going to ease up on the 1-2 shift and see if that helps. Congrats on your best time. 11.4 is only around the corner!

Fantastic, Viperjim! Now I have additional motivation to see if I can trim mine a bit more! If I had only missed lunch that day and shed a little weight to gain that hundreth! LOL. I am encouraged to see there are some Viper owners out there that are trying to maximize the basic package before going hog wild on mods. I can't wait to mod mine but want to make sure I have wrung out all I can before hand. My experience is that then when you do mod it the returns in improved e.t. are better because you have mastered the idiosyncracies of the car first. I see you are in Maryland. Do you run at the same track as Jamie Furman? That seems like a fast track up there and that always helps too.

OP
OP
S

Speedfreak

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Speedfreak and Jamie, what are your views on a 3:55 rear end and 1/4 mile times? I think they add to wheel spin and hurt. What say you?

I would almost bet money that without improved traction over the run flat it would be a wash at best. I think 60' would improve and be more predictable but it would all be lost in the 1-2 shift where the additional torque would really make traction a problem. But probably with PS2s (or other stickier tires) and for sure with a DR it would be an improvment. With a 27.14 inch tire even with a 3.55 the overall gearing is close to 3.23-3.36 when compared to a typical 26 in tire. My firebird has 26.1 inch tires and 3.23 with M20 4spd (2.52 first) and it feels much, much shorter geared than the Viper. When I compare the two on a speed calculator it is almost even when the 3.55 is put in the viper. And given the power band of the Viper I think it would be a real winner IF, and only IF, you improved traction on the car. I'll bet the fun factor is much better with a 3.55 but that doesn't always translate into a better e.t.

Gears are on my list to do so I will find out first hand.

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I posted earlier in this thread but FWIW, I had 3.55's and PS2's on my '06 Coupe. While I did manage 11.66 @ 123, IMO, I really don't think the PS2's grip much better than the Runcraps at the strip.

I did manage consistent mid to low 1.8 60's, and with practice I'm confident I could've improved, but 2nd gear always spun 5-10' - without powershifting. I tried adjusting the air pressure from 33psi to as far down as 20psi too.

PS2's will make the car ride much smoother though.

OP
OP
S

Speedfreak

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I posted earlier in this thread but FWIW, I had 3.55's and PS2's on my '06 Coupe. While I did manage 11.66 @ 123, IMO, I really don't think the PS2's grip much better than the Runcraps at the strip.

I did manage consistent mid to low 1.8 60's, and with practice I'm confident I could've improved, but 2nd gear always spun 5-10' - without powershifting. I tried adjusting the air pressure from 33psi to as far down as 20psi too.

Hamrhead did you get to make any runs in the car with the mods you made but without the gears to compare? Interesting about your take on the PS2s. I was really hoping that would help quite a bit but sounds like not much. Maybe they shine more in the turns and in ride quality. Sounds like your experience is close to my theoretical analysis in that any improvement comes in nailing the 1-2 shift if possible. Spinning 5-10 feet with out a powershift. Wow. I have to believe that is 3 tenths sitting there. I wonder if short shifting the car would help.

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hamrhead did you get to make any runs in the car with the mods you made but without the gears to compare? Interesting about your take on the PS2s. I was really hoping that would help quite a bit but sounds like not much. Maybe they shine more in the turns and in ride quality. Sounds like your experience is close to my theoretical analysis in that any improvement comes in nailing the 1-2 shift if possible. Spinning 5-10 feet with out a powershift. Wow. I have to believe that is 3 tenths sitting there. I wonder if short shifting the car would help.
Nope - Sorry.

I ran the car stock (Best 11.90 @ 122), then pretty much did all my mods at once (DC Tune, Green Filters, Corsa Track, 3.55's, PS2's).

After mods, 11.80's were reasonably 'easy' to attain, with 11.66 being my best. Best mph was 124.7, but only a 12.0x as I spun. The good part about the gears was I could launch the car much easier at the track (~2,000-2,200rpms, give or take), yet pull quicker 60's.

Honestly, I never did try short-shifting the 1-2 shift. Might be worth trying!

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed...You read all over the internet about cars pullin 11's ect. But when your really at the track theirs only a handful of cars doin it and most are far from stock..

Yea ViperJim I thought it was you that also had an 11.6..But whats funny about the SRT10's is that lots of guys have ran 11's at 121 PLUS mph since 2003 but they just dont post about it

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Now I am really worried. My car has consistently dynod at 557 rwtq or higher, and it spins all the way to 4500 rpm in second at WOT, and I have PS-2's.

Should I roll into second? Or throttle it? BTW, Hamrhead...11.66 is a kick ass time!!:headbang:

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now I am really worried. My car has consistently dynod at 557 rwtq or higher, and it spins all the way to 4500 rpm in second at WOT, and I have PS-2's.

Should I roll into second? Or throttle it? BTW, Hamrhead...11.66 is a kick ass time!!:headbang:
Depends on conditions at your strip - You'll have to feel it out.

Warmer air temps and warmer surface temps will make a big difference with traction, as well as track prep.

As for the RunFlats - My Bud used to have an '04. All Stock. He managed to break numerous parts (Rear, Halfshaft(s), etc.) running on the stock RunFlats. He also pulled an 11.77 @ 120 - Stock.

FWIW, I would L-O-V-E to make a few passes in your car!!;):omg::D

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends on conditions at your strip - You'll have to feel it out.

Warmer air temps and warmer surface temps will make a big difference with traction, as well as track prep.

As for the RunFlats - My Bud used to have an '04. All Stock. He managed to break numerous parts (Rear, Halfshaft(s), etc.) running on the stock RunFlats. He also pulled an 11.77 @ 120 - Stock.

FWIW, I would L-O-V-E to make a few passes in your car!!;):omg::D
:nono::lmao:

Actually...who knows what the future may hold. :D

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice times. I wish I could drive that well. I am really working on my launch this year plus I have my 2 step working now. My best time is an 11.02 @ 157.

OP
OP
S

Speedfreak

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nice times. I wish I could drive that well. I am really working on my launch this year plus I have my 2 step working now. My best time is an 11.02 @ 157.

11.02 at 157. Oh my GOD. What do you have for motor in that thing. Obviously traction is your issue as that is the highest trap speed I have ever seen on a viper. Hook that up with traction and glue on some wings and it will double as a small plane. LOL.

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
11.02 at 157. Oh my GOD. What do you have for motor in that thing. Obviously traction is your issue as that is the highest trap speed I have ever seen on a viper. Hook that up with traction and glue on some wings and it will double as a small plane. LOL.

Underground racing twin turbo. And that was on pump gas on about 9 psi. I am running BFG drag radials. Just don't know what I am doing. One launch I spin, the next I bog. Need to drive it more. I am hoping for low 9's this year on pump gas and drag radials. I have a set of slicks but I am not ready for that. This car still scares the **** out of me.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Underground racing twin turbo. And that was on pump gas on about 9 psi. I am running BFG drag radials. Just don't know what I am doing. One launch I spin, the next I bog. Need to drive it more. I am hoping for low 9's this year on pump gas and drag radials. I have a set of slicks but I am not ready for that. This car still scares the **** out of me.

:omg: :omg: :omg: That's a low 9 sec car right there!! :2tu::2tu: