My tire went boom?

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was driving for about 25 minutes today. Pulled up to a stop sign, let er rip off the stop:rolleyes:, ran up to about 25 MPH, then started slowing for the next stop sign. As I was rolling at about 10 MPH I heard a boom (not loud, but kinda like a juice box when there is no liquid in it and you stomp on it). So I pull over, and see that my right rear has no air!:dunno:

I was right around the corner from my Uncle's place, stopped there, checked tire, no holes, etc, refilled the air, and 6 hours later now still no issue!

What makes a tire loose air so quickly? The boom makes me believe it did not leak out slowly, and the strip on the road from the 1st stop sign shows ONLY the outer two marks on that tire - as in the middle was not touching. That makes me believe it was low on air. I did refill the tires right before VOI (29 PSI), and the driver side today showed 25 PSI, so the tires had had lost a bit of air probably due to temp change. On the other hand though, I went for a 80 mile drive on Friday and had no issues. Tires were properly inflated.

Anyone with any thoughts? Did the tire spin on the rim from slightly lower pressure?:dunno:

Thanks!

Robert

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With low pressure you might have spun the tire on the rim and lost the bead (thus boom). Hard to believe but rolling on it could have reseated it.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll bet the your tire had no air and you heated them up from the stop sign, creating a few pounds pressure. Then the tire bead let that small amount out, creating the small pop.

If you've ever changed a tire on a tire machine you'd realize that a real blowout would be very loud and violent.

Reaction score
I would take the tire off right away and make sure the sidewalls are not totally chewed up. DO NOT drive fast at all till this is verified or you may be in for a big nasty surprise!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To prevent that problem I bought a Hella Tire Pressure/Temperature Monitor System from Viper Specialty. Gen 3s have a low pressure and No pressure check light. Mu system was about the cost of merely the stock Gen3 sensors and mine can be viewed, color set, temperature check etc. from the driver's seat. Orange system $180 and Hella $224.

I like telling the Gen 3 guys all the modifications that my Gen 2 more advanced than the 3 (nav, TPMS, tires, BT, etc.).

You lucked out that your tire was ruined by the time you stopped! Gor a flat on my Stealth and by the time I realized it and stopped the sidewall was full of holes and it took a day to get another tire. The idea of a ruined tire on the Viper and waiting for a week for a tire to show up whereever I happen to be was .... TPMS is really a great deal.

TED

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dang Robert, you've had that car for how long and you're getting these weird problems? First a half shaft now a blow out... :crazy2: Maybe that car just doesn't like being a Canuck. :rolaugh:

OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I was guessing I was going to get a ribbing about this one!:D I tell ya, I have been doing lots of learning recently, and no that is not cause the car is missing the states!:rolleyes: Come to think of it Mike, I believe a certain half shaft happened while with you in Ohio....:ponder:

As for the tire, that all makes sence. Except the part about why there was no air in it to begin with. Is it possible being at 26 PSI (well, at least that is what the left rear had dropped to) could have caused a lack of pressure, at least enough for the rubber to spin on the rim? Agreed in the end a tire monitoring system will guard against further issues, but to solve this problem?:confused:

Mark, the side wall is OK, although a slight scuff. Fortunately, I only had to drive about half a mile before I was able to re-inflate the tire.

Recommendations/suggestions? Do I remove the rim and take it to a tire store and get them to check it? Do I need to go see a witch doctor to remove the strange curse from the car?

Thanks!

Robert

Reaction score
Unless you have it dis mounted you cannot go by how the outside of the sidewall looks. If you drove on it at all when deflated I would bet you it is done for as it does not take much. Plus you will probably be driving faster than most in normal cars and is it really worth the risk?

Just looking out for you,

Yeah, I was guessing I was going to get a ribbing about this one!:D I tell ya, I have been doing lots of learning recently, and no that is not cause the car is missing the states!:rolleyes: Come to think of it Mike, I believe a certain half shaft happened while with you in Ohio....:ponder:

As for the tire, that all makes sence. Except the part about why there was no air in it to begin with. Is it possible being at 26 PSI (well, at least that is what the left rear had dropped to) could have caused a lack of pressure, at least enough for the rubber to spin on the rim? Agreed in the end a tire monitoring system will guard against further issues, but to solve this problem?:confused:

Mark, the side wall is OK, although a slight scuff. Fortunately, I only had to drive about half a mile before I was able to re-inflate the tire.

Recommendations/suggestions? Do I remove the rim and take it to a tire store and get them to check it? Do I need to go see a witch doctor to remove the strange curse from the car?

Thanks!

Robert

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree on the tire inspection. I had a valve stem completely blow out on my Yukon resulting in a complete flat. Stopped immediately and changed the tire to the spare. After getting home, Discount Tire dismounted it and inspected it and said the sidewalls were damaged. They replaced the tire (actually both tires on that axle) under the road hazard warranty. My outside inspection of the tire showed no sidewall damage, but on the inside sidewall you could see the sidewall damage.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
DANGER WIL ROBINSON....the inner sidewalls of those tires may be one hard corner away from self-destruction
You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:hahaup: Good picture.

OK. Good call on the tire removal for inspection/ unlucky for the check book. Inner side of tire sidewall a little on the worn side, probably OK but not worth the risk.:( Good call guys.:2tu: Question though. How did you all know to look on the inner sidewall?

Unfortunately, I also found the problem on why I lost air in the first place.:( For those of you who were at VOI you have probably already heard this but for those who didn't, short recap:

VOI 10. Detroit. HEAVY construction all around the city and hotel. Driving back to the hotel in the construction, there was construction in the median so they had a concrete partition between the hammer lane and the workers. We are in the hammer lane (concrete on one side, truck in the slow lane) going with traffic (about 60MPH). As we rounded the bend, there was a 4x4 (as in construction wood, not a pickup:rolleyes:) in the middle of the road. Can't go left (concrete) can't go right (18 wheeler) can't jam the brakes (guy on ass in pickup wanting to see the Viper "go faster"). We hit the brakes best we could without getting it from behind and then .....thump thump..... and a really sick feeling inside!:omg::(

After a inspection once back at the hotel, all seemed OK, was just a TINY vibration that I did not remember being there. After a few up us inspected the car in the parking garage, we felt lucky all went OK and the alignment must just need a check.

Well, remember said tire? Once it was removed for rubber inspection we got to see the result of the 4x4 from a few weeks ago! :mad: There is a really nice flat on the inner rim. My guess would be that is where the air leaked out!

So, then I pulled off the front tire "just to see". If the rear is bad, then the front.... Yup. You guessed it. Two dented rims.:(:censored: I tell ya, for the few opertunities I do get to take the car out, I am not having alot of luck!!:rolaugh:

So, does anyone know where I can send the bill to the Michigan Road Works Department for four new tires (can't just replace the two right ones, yes the front one looked like it was pinched a little at the indent point so now I do not trust it 100%) and two replacement rims!:rolleyes:

Thanks for letting me vent.:D

Robert:crying:

Last edited:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That ***** Robert, but it could have been much worse. Do you think the rims could be repaired back to new? If not too bad, it's a good possibility.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, it could have been a LOT worse. Just think if you didn't have a trailer at VOI. You would have been stuck out in the middle of nowhere in lower Ontario.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I dont know about OtherWorldly insurance, but in the GOOD OLE U.S.ofA,, your auto comprehensive would probably cover this mishap, minus your comp deductible....

PS you probably need a re-alignment as well....

OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes guys, I do agree. I am lucky. It could have been much worse. Tire could have blown at speed, could have been stranded in no mans land.

As for the insurance, it is pretty much the same here as in the good ol USA. I have contacted HRE and they will accept the rims back and work their magic on them. Will see how much is repairable. Alignment will be done as well now. Tires were on the car when I got it, so they are starting to get a little hard anyways. Guess now is as good a time as ever to replace them. (Michelins come in 20"??)

I took some good pics of the rims yesterday. As soon as I can, I will get them posted for all to see what a log can do to a aluminum rim!:crazy2:

Robert

OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK. pics!! For reasons unknown, my account has been unable to upload photos for the last two weeks.:( :confused:

I did manage to get a few uploaded tonight though!:2tu:

Here are the pics of the rims:

Front shots:

IMGA0613.JPG

IMGA0611.JPG

Rear shots:

IMGA06021.JPG

IMGA06001.JPG

Robert

Last edited: