My Wife's First Track Day

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Wife\'s First Track Day

I took my wife to an open track event. She doesn't really like my Viper, but I figured that she would perhaps appreciate the car more in its natural element. I was sure that if she got the chance to drive the car fast in a mostly controlled setting, that she would love it like I do.

She started off driving in one of the slow group sessions. She hasn't driven the Viper much, so she was doing pretty well for a true newbie, in spite of my "coaching."

Me: (yelling to be heard above the exhaust) "Wait. . . . wait. . . wait. . . turn NOW. . . . You missed the apex"
Her (getting more and more **********) "What's the apex, and why should I be aiming for it? Oh nevermind. Why don't you just shut up and let me drive."

She was doing quite well by the end of the session, but was making a lot of Focus, Mustang, Honda, and Miata drivers really happy as they passed us. Back in the paddock, I could see them gloating about how they had "owned" the Viper.

We switched off, and I drove and she rode with me for some "fast laps." But then she started to get sick.

Her: "You need to slow down, I'm getting sick."
Me: "I can't slow down."
Her: "Why not?!?!?"
Me; "See that black car behind us, if I slow down, it will catch up with us, so I have to go faster."
Her: "Why not just let it pass you?"
Me: "I can't do that. I have to drive faster. Nobody is allowed to pass us, except for the little green car."
Her: "That's stupid. Just slow down. I'm going to be sick."
Me: (looking anxiously in the rear view mirror) "You'll be ok. Just try to take deep breaths."
Her: I don't understand, why don't you just let him pass?
Me: Because my car is a Viper and the black car is a Porsche, and I'm faster than him.
Her: If you are faster than he is, why is he getting closer?
Me: Because I'm talking to you instead of driving.

[Lots of engine revving, heavy braking, tires squealing]

Me: See, we lost him.
Her: (covering her mouth) "You should have slowed down. Now I'm going to throw up all over your car."
Me: "Oh no. OK, OK" (signalling to go into the pits) I'll let you out."

Her verdict was: "It was o.k., but I don't think I'd pay to do it again. I might even pay not to do it again."

Looks like I'll be going to the rest of the open track days by myself.
Oh well.
Kai

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: My Wife\'s First Track Day

LOL!!
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Funny post!!!

My wife is fine going fast as long as she is driving as well.

I was thinking to get her to a track event to appreciate the car more herself.

quick2tr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thats was a great post!

I keep a plastic bag tucked in the glove box for my wife. It has come in handy.

What kind of car was the "little green one"?

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Rule #1 - DO NOT be your wife's instructor.

Rule #2 - go out first thing in the AM and discuss what "the line" means, what "apex" means, etc. (Preferably before the event, but whatever) Drive the course at about 45 MPH. The line on a race track is NOT intuitive and since she doesn't know where you are going (i.e. her mind can't tell her stomach to prepare) that's why she got sick.

Rule #3 - Husbands usually make terrible passengers. She's worried about doing somethingwrong to "your car" and you are making her nervous. With a real instructor, she wouldn't feel that way.

Hope she gets back out there..... Maybe come to ViperDays at MAM and have one of the Viper instructors ride with her?

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ROTFLMAO!!! Excellent post! I could imagine the exchange as if it was happening to me.

My wife doesn’t much like my Viper either – too loud, too bumpy, etc. (she calls it an enclosed Harley Davidson). And, the few times I’ve been fortunate enough to get her in it, I’ve almost always been met with the same reaction: “Slow down. I’m going to be sick. I want out. Ruuuuuuussssssss!” Anyway, I’ve suggested we get her on the track and she has actually expressed a desire to go, so long as she gets to drive her RX-7. I’ll let you know how it goes, if it ever happens. She’ll probably smoke me, hehe.

Oh, and what was the little green car?

Franz

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I second the "do not be your wife's instructor." It can make for a long ride home from the track.

Viper Days was the best thing we did. They have some great instructors for all skill levels. Once my wife started using one of the female instructors, her lap times improved significantly and she graduated to solo in no time at all.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

LMFAO Atleast you smoked it and showed him the Viper is the real deal Thanks for sharing and Thanks for whoppin a$$.

OP
OP
Kai SRT10

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Rule #1 - DO NOT be your wife's instructor.

Rule #2 - go out first thing in the AM and discuss what "the line" means, what "apex" means, etc. (Preferably before the event, but whatever) Drive the course at about 45 MPH. The line on a race track is NOT intuitive and since she doesn't know where you are going (i.e. her mind can't tell her stomach to prepare) that's why she got sick.

Rule #3 - Husbands usually make terrible passengers. She's worried about doing somethingwrong to "your car" and you are making her nervous. With a real instructor, she wouldn't feel that way.

Hope she gets back out there..... Maybe come to ViperDays at MAM and have one of the Viper instructors ride with her?

This is all good advice, and all true.

I'm going to pay for my wife to take some instruction from a real driving instructor. I think we'll start her out in the STI and then move to the Viper.

The little green car was a wicked fast stripped-down Caterham with racing slicks. He was faster than me, but when the precipitation came down later in the day (really hard) I bet he was wishing he had a roof over his head. (gave new meaning to the term "bucket seats.")

Fiorano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Great post. I can appreciate it since my wife doesn't care for my viper much. She hates the recaro seats and can't drive a stick anyway. As for her getting sick, I can relate to that. I rode as a passenger with my instructor for two sessions at VIR and had to have him pull over at about lap 5 the first time so I could dry heave for 20 minutes (worst feeling in the world). I gave it a second shot the next day after some dramamine. That allowed me to make it to lap 7 before I started to vomit. Also, it put me to sleep.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte