Mystery oil leak has been solved...

V10 PWRD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I grabbed my head mechanic on his lunch hour and took him to my house. He got under the car and looked around and thought he found the source in the power steering hose area. I got in and started the car and turned the wheel all the way to the stopper. Needless to say he got sprayed. Looks like the serpentine belt had rubbed a small hole in the high pressure steering hose. The naked eye would nver have seen it unless there were 2 people doing what we did. One in and one outside the car. I had run my hands up and down the hoses and didn't feel anything.
I will split a heater hose and double cover the new one and also check the tensioner to make sure there's no excess play causing the belt to be a little sloppy.
I ordered a new hose for $17.46. One of the search forums said to check with Rockauto for pricing. What a savings. Dodge wanted $60.48. Labor....steaks on the grill for my mechanic at my house.
Thanks to all that made suggestions. I know you got tired of the posts but I did want to let everyone else know that I found the problem and if this helps some other unsuspecting owner experiencing the same thing I'm happy. :headbang:

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can usually smell the power steering oil... as it smells a little different from coolant and motor oil. I had a leak in my RT/10 and thought it smelled a little like coolant, yet motor oil too... this lead me to the power steering hose which rubbed through on the reservoir. Easy $12.00 fix for me. Glad you found yours.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good find. It's probably about time to flush the system and replace the fluid anyway.....:2tu:

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The belt sawed a hole thru the PS hose on my '93 RT (2 years new) during what would have been an LTOD run at the Auto-X course. Needless to say, I didn't have enough leverage on the wheel to finish P1.

I limped the car home over 40 miles by alternately coasting and running the highest gear/lowest engine speed possible to keep from spraying more oil and starting a fire. The pump was fine and a new hose was installed, routed for more clearance.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, it had already dumped pretty much all the oil there was to pressurize. I figured the worst that could happen then was for the pump to lock up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang