Nail in my tire...

VIPERESS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill,
I would have to consider myself the "Queen" of getting nails in my tires
laugh.gif
After the second nail in a tire of my 98 RT/10, I went for a new tire, for safety reasons, (as Sean mentions). I have had a nail in my 2000 Gts as well, that one, I had repaired, but to be honest with you, I don't always feel safe at higher speeds??? Make sure they are equipped to handle the massive rim with their machine, (to avoid any "damage"). I suppose whether you have it repaired or go for the new tire depends on several things: (1) How and what you use the car for. (2) Where the nail is exactly located, (on or inbetween tread). (3) and of course.....$$$$. Also, as Sean mentions, it never hurts to "stand over their shoulder." Good luck. Have a wonderful day.
Laura
devil.gif
BURNOUT.gif

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One branch of NTB said no, while another one a few miles away said yes. Pretty good job and they let me watch over their shoulder.

I told them to watch the rims since the tire doesn't protect it when laid flat.

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
At some Discount Tire Stores, they will have one machine that handles, high quality rims. These tire changers do not have the feet that expand inside the wheel and mark the inside area, but instead have hook clamps that grab the rim from the outside and leave no marks. It also has touchless tools for putting the tire on the rim. Check around to see who has this machine. In most cases only one person at the tire store will be qualified to do this work.

Regarding the tire, on many occasions I have used a combination plug patch on nail punctures for high performance tires and have had no problems. If the tire is near the end of its wear, just get a new set, but if it has considerable wear left, a good patch by a tire expert should work very well. This is true as long as the puncture is not in the side wall and is well located in the rolling contact part of the tire.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill,
I had one fixed at Americas Tires for free but they could not balance it (rear) due to the wheel width. I have a feeling they may have just pluged it. Also had one fixed at Motorsport Dynamics on Arden, they patched it. They too could not balance the wheel. Radial Tire Serivce at 2500 Cottage can balance them and let me watch the whole process. Best to bring in the wheels so you don't have to worry about any damage during removing/replacing them on the car.

Jeff

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I take mine to America's Tire Company. Try to find a place that does more high-end cars, or even Corvettes, and they probably should be able to do it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doug Chase