Nail in tire question!

Dr V

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As I was getting all of the mopars situated in the barn for the winter last week I noticed a nail in the left front tire of my 08. Its in the tread. Whats the best way to fix it? Patch from the inside after you dismount it or just replace the damn thing to prevent any safety problems. As u can tell im a little pissed, the car only has 1500 miles. Thanks in advance. Doc

Reaction score
If you repair a Z rated or above tire it's speed rating is null and void. We cannot legally repair a tire like this and have to replace it. That being said if you don't drive hard it would probably OK as long as you know about it's limitations.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ppsssh I ran 190 on a twice plugged and patched rear!

Yep, it can be fixed for normal.. even "spirited" operation. Best would be best to patch on the inside ..... So long as it's away from the side wall, in the tread... $30 around here (DC)

If you don't track it.. no problem.

= J

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
plug and patch are free at any 'Discount Tire' store

You are correct. Free plug and patch at Discount Tire. They will also pro-rate any non-repairable issue (nail in the sidewall, etc.) through Michelin on a replacement.

Although it does affect the speed rating from a warranty perspective, you shouldn't have any problems.

Last edited:

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is probably a bit late, but I've managed to get Z rated tires replaced because of a nail in the tread when I've bought the 'road hazard insurance' from tire shops. They'll initially look at it, say the nail isn't in the sidewall and therefore can be repaired - but then you tell them exactly what Mark said above. Legally, they can't repair a Z-rated tire - which makes it unrepairable and therefore eligible for the free replacement insurance.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is probably a bit late, but I've managed to get Z rated tires replaced because of a nail in the tread when I've bought the 'road hazard insurance' from tire shops. They'll initially look at it, say the nail isn't in the sidewall and therefore can be repaired - but then you tell them exactly what Mark said above. Legally, they can't repair a Z-rated tire - which makes it unrepairable and therefore eligible for the free replacement insurance.

yeh I bought street tires for my daily driver and it has that same coverage.

you should try it

SFViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I was getting all of the mopars situated in the barn for the winter last week I noticed a nail in the left front tire of my 08. Its in the tread. Whats the best way to fix it? Patch from the inside after you dismount it or just replace the damn thing to prevent any safety problems. As u can tell im a little pissed, the car only has 1500 miles. Thanks in advance. Doc

I use TyreGuardian in all my vehicles. Unlike, Slime & Fix-a-Flat, this product will not affect handling, will not rust and is TPMS compatible. Once installed, your tires are protected against tire punctures in the tread area for the life of the tire! :2tu:

TyreGuardian

PM me for a discount