Navigation deck question?

8mywal8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 06 coupe with the regular deck. If I buy a navigation deck is it plug and play or do I have to cut wires? Yes this is a 08 Viper Nav deck.

Thanks.

MarcRoth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont forget to get the GPS antenna you will have to install it also. Then just plug in like Dan said.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are really outdated Nav systems with small screens, suggest getting a Garmin, it mounts very nicely on the windshield and stores easily in the console and is so intuitive to use. I had the Nav in my 06 and did not even bother to get it when I ordered my 08. Plus I think you sacrifice the multi CD use and are limited to one cd with the Nav radio.
Even better get the Droid Motorola Phone that has a Nav and mounts on the windshield, small screen but amazing technology, our worthy President was showing his off in Scottsdale, very impressive.
Bottom line there is a lot better plug and play technology available than the nav unit you are thinking of going to the trouble of installing.

OP
OP

8mywal8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the Nav deck can't you also get Serus radio? But not with the standard deck.

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, I dont see why anyone would get ANY factory installed NAV unit these days. The Garmin, etc. are so easy to use and relatively inexpensive. Plus, you can hide them and store them away when not being used. Theyre definitely much cheaper than ordering a NAV from the factory.

They are really outdated Nav systems with small screens, suggest getting a Garmin, it mounts very nicely on the windshield and stores easily in the console and is so intuitive to use. I had the Nav in my 06 and did not even bother to get it when I ordered my 08. Plus I think you sacrifice the multi CD use and are limited to one cd with the Nav radio.
Even better get the Droid Motorola Phone that has a Nav and mounts on the windshield, small screen but amazing technology, our worthy President was showing his off in Scottsdale, very impressive.
Bottom line there is a lot better plug and play technology available than the nav unit you are thinking of going to the trouble of installing.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The antenna is mounted under the dash somewhere.If his did not come with nav from the factory....there will be no antenna to PLUG in.;)

Navigation systems come WITH new antennas in most cases. They can be taken out if it was a pullout. They can be bought separately. It is the size of a half-dollar with double sided tape on the back and has a single wire coming out of it with a connector that plugs into the back of the radio.

take my word for it. I was the one who brought the RB1 to the Viper market back in 2004.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Personally, I dont see why anyone would get ANY factory installed NAV unit these days. The Garmin, etc. are so easy to use and relatively inexpensive. Plus, you can hide them and store them away when not being used. Theyre definitely much cheaper than ordering a NAV from the factory.

Well... for units like the MyGig, you certainly WOULD. Navigation, HDD for music, DVD, Bluetooth, Built in Sirius, Multi-Zone, USB Uploading... should I continue? If only it came in the Viper...

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well... for units like the MyGig, you certainly WOULD. Navigation, HDD for music, DVD, Bluetooth, Built in Sirius, Multi-Zone, USB Uploading... should I continue? If only it came in the Viper...

Ok, I can understand wanting it then, as the Garmin's, etc. dont do that (well some have the capabilities you mentioned, but not most), but if you're just wanting something to get you from point A to point B, then I see no reason for the factory NAV. Just my opinion.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
but if you're just wanting something to get you from point A to point B, then I see no reason for the factory NAV. Just my opinion.

That I cant disagree with. The RB1 is VERY outdated these days. It is almost laughable by 2008 standards, let alone 2010.

GlennSullivan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is a very good point, the Nav radio does not have a CD changer. My car came with Nav and to be honest, I'd rather have the 6 CD changer.

Tony2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I can't disagree on the Nav functionality, however you guys are still using CD changers? :omg: They are a waste of space in my opinion and I would much prefer either a iPod interface or just a simple USB input then you can just put your songs onto a thumb drive.

Tony2

10 BANGER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I can't disagree on the Nav functionality, however you guys are still using CD changers? :omg: They are a waste of space in my opinion and I would much prefer either a iPod interface or just a simple USB input then you can just put your songs onto a thumb drive.

Tony2

Agree, CD's are obsolete.

I instlled an Alpine flip monitor with nav, ipod inter, front and rear cameras, blue tooth wireless inter, mp3m, cd, dvd.
Love it.