Need a good dynotuner near Greenville, SC (charlotte will work)

Barrels

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am wrapping up a bunch of bolt-on mods to my 03. Nothing major, just intake, throttle body, underdrive pulley, Cat-back, Cat-delete, Plugwires, Thermostat, and a few other minor things. I need a good Viper-experienced dyno tuner to get everything working in harmony. I live in upstate SC (Greer) but I assume I will have to go to Charlotte to find someone who really knows Vipers. The only semi-local tuner I have seen mentioned on the forums is Underground. I left a message and sent an email, but I think they have their hands full with more substantive projects.

So please let me know if you know any good tuner in Upstate SC or the surrounding area. I appreciate any help i can get.

WALKING TALL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you had any experience with those guys? I found them and a few others while searching the internet, but I am really hoping to find a tuner that knows our cars.

No, but I've spoken with a guy that had a 03 or 04 Cobra mustang that had some work done by this company and he was very pleased! I understand what your saying as far as wanting to have someone that is qualified in tuning the Viper, but it wouldn't hurt to make a visit and check with this guy and see what kinda feel / vibe you get.
As far as Underground Racing goes that would be a better choice to make, but I don't think they will just tune it. I remember reading a post made by someone that was in the same boat as far as just needing a tune and they wouldn't for whatever the reason was.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I remember reading a post made by someone that was in the same boat as far as just needing a tune and they wouldn't for whatever the reason was.

Easy. They have bigger fish to fry, and tuning "only" means that they take all of the risk technically, and make peanuts overall. Figure they are taking on roughly the entire risk of a built car, but with only make a few hundred on a tune. Not worth it in many cases.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just get on the dyno and send the results to one of the reputable tuners here and order a tuner and a tune. I have worked Dan at VS as far as sending dyno graphs and getting tunes emailed from him and he's been great.
It's easy to find a dyno near you. Someone experienced in tuning our cars, not so much.

OP
OP
B

Barrels

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just get on the dyno and send the results to one of the reputable tuners here and order a tuner and a tune. I have worked Dan at VS as far as sending dyno graphs and getting tunes emailed from him and he's been great.
It's easy to find a dyno near you. Someone experienced in tuning our cars, not so much.

I'm not interested in that option, but I appreciate the input. I really want the guy doing the tune to be able to make adjustments and test the results. Plus, I want to know what I'm working with when he's done.

I'm willing to go to Atlanta if I have to, but there's no way there isn't another experienced Viper tuner in Charlotte.

WALKING TALL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easy. They have bigger fish to fry, and tuning "only" means that they take all of the risk technically, and make peanuts overall. Figure they are taking on roughly the entire risk of a built car, but with only make a few hundred on a tune. Not worth it in many cases.

Exactly, thats what I figured since its not one of their builds.

WALKING TALL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not interested in that option, but I appreciate the input. I really want the guy doing the tune to be able to make adjustments and test the results. Plus, I want to know what I'm working with when he's done.

I'm willing to go to Atlanta if I have to, but there's no way there isn't another experienced Viper tuner in Charlotte.

This guy has a big name for himself in the Atlanta, GA area. I know a few cars that he has worked on and heard several people speak highly of him as well. www.bradbrand.com

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
north of atlanta you have 1TONY1, doesnt own a dyno but can certainly make it happen and is very capable.

south of that you have doug levin in florida. then you need to go to texas to get to A.R.T and over to California to see DC or A&C.

nobpdy else id trust to touch my car.

an option is to fly in a tuner and let him tune at a local dyno for you. i think vipertony is doing this and others have in the past.

OP
OP
B

Barrels

Viper Owner
Reaction score
an option is to fly in a tuner and let him tune at a local dyno for you. i think vipertony is doing this and others have in the past.

Wow. I'm all about having things done right. I would definitely rather have a tuner experienced with Vipers. That seems a little over the top though.

I'm not trying to start an argument. I asked for opinions and I'm appreciateive that so many of you have taken the time to offer them. I just want to know if it's really worth it to spend that kind of money to tune a car that isn't that far from stock. There are several good tuners around here with tons of experience on Vette's, Mustangs, etc. Is tuning a Viper really so different as to justify the additional expense of hauling the car 1,000 miles or flying in a tuner?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Wow. I'm all about having things done right. I would definitely rather have a tuner experienced with Vipers. That seems a little over the top though.
Is tuning a Viper really so different as to justify the additional expense of hauling the car 1,000 miles or flying in a tuner?

In short, yes. The OEM computers are "odd" in function, and most aftermarket tuning systems used in this market are beyond the capability of 99.9% of shops out there. You also have to factor in the "potential loss" of an engine in the hands of someone unfamiliar. Are you willing to risk your 20K+ engine to save 500 bucks?

WALKING TALL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it was my car I would take it to some of the tuner's that plumcrazy has listed just for the peace of mind. I would prefer a tuner that has extensive knowledge on tuning Vipers than a tuner that has just only worked on mustangs and camaros just because of what Final GTS stated above. I mention the 2 tuners because of them being so close to you and it sounded to me that you were looking for someone close by. Doug Levin would be next Viper tuner that is close by and has a very good rep.

Last edited:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry, im the **** that drives from NJ to fort lauderdale for a belt change on the SC. im a bit on the extreme side...lol

barrels, just giving you an idea of what to do. some have done what i mentioned.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Care to elaborate on this? I am curious to hear some details.

The Viper's are Speed Density, not Mass Airflow, they have odd lookup tables, are wasted spark, and many items that are vaguely labeled. If you don't know the VIPER software, you are dead in the water.

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would take it to a local dyno (not tune it) and see what the AFR/HP looks like and then figure out if it's really worth having someone tune it. The cars computer may be able to adjust for minor bolt ons like the ones you've listed. I'm sure there is someone closer than FL who could tune it, but it's not going to be a Known "Viper shop".

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say take a vacation to FL and see Doug. That is what I plan on doing this summer. He is the best of the best and is a great guy. You will have a friend for life!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456