Need for double-clutching

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First of all happy holidays. Health ,happiness, peace and safe driving for the New Year. :2tu: :2tu:

I was just curious if anyone double-clutches when driving, not necessarily on the track, just regular driving. I was not sure if our Vipers had synchronizers hence the need for double-clutching would not be needed............

I don't understand the need to drop the gear into neutral when you are already in neutral with the clutch depressed. I've seen guys that do it and its music in motion but for the life of me, can;t understand how they do it that fast.

I hear this is the best way to drive our cars since it decreases the stress on the gearbox.

Patrick

AMong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If this is a serious post ... no , you should never need to "double clutch" your viper - there is absolutely no advantage to it and it is completly pointless.

The only things you need to double clutch are older vehicles without syncros int he trans, or a commercial truck type transmission in a semi. OR .. if you are Vin Diesel - in Fast and Furious.

If you are looking to improve shift times, or acceleration - try powershifting ....

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
True: Lowers stress on the gearbox

False: You need to do it in a Viper, or any synchronised transmission for that matter.

The whole reason double-clutching came about was to minimize grinding in a non-synchronized transmission. The T-56 transmisssions as used in the Viper are synchronized, and do not need to be shifted as such.

OP
OP
W

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen guys that do it and its music in motion but for the life of me, can;t understand how they do it that fast.

Are you sure they are double-clutching or are they rev-matching?

Nope.............it is double clutching and he does primarily on the down shifting and swears by it. I have been in his car while he's driving and let me tell you it really is a much smoother ride. Then again he's a little older and he probably grew up with the double clutching technique. This was used by the pros before rev matching was built into racing engine management software.

Patrick

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always do a little rev match but no doubble clutch for smooth engagement.Jacking a car to a lower gear without some rev match may cause rear wheel lockup which is ******* the driveline,and can be Very exciting. GTS Bruce

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm one of the "old school" guys who double clutches when I'm downshifting. While it is not necessary in Vipers, or any modern cars that have synchronizers, if you rev match well (by double clutching), it lowers the wear on the synchros. The further apart the speed between the two shafts that need to mesh, the more wear on the synchros. If the two shafts are at the same speed when their gears are forced together, there is little or no wear on the synchros. The reason you double clutch is strictly for rev matching. Most of the guys who race don't double clutch but they ALWAYS rev match or else they find themselves off in the weeds as the car swaps ends.

Dave's Big Brakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's called toe-heel when down shifting, you need to rev-match the drive train(blipping the throttle, same idea). When you let the clutch out, if rev-matched, the car will not **** around, but will be smooth, SMOOTH IS FAST :cool: :2tu: :usa:

DO NOT BANG GEARS (that's drag racing stuff)

ck my avatar :2tu: