Need Gen I Right Rear Suspension Parts

Flyng Low

VCA Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know a source of Viper Gen I right rear suspension parts? I had a minor encounter with a concrete center divider that gave my right rear wheel a push through the right rear quarter panel, leaving it slightly toed in.

With the wheels off, the suspension parts do not show any obvious trauma and the frame and connection points appear perfectly straight, but rough measurements show about 1/4" position difference between left and right suspension parts. We have not looked at the Rear Link yet but will today -- it looks like a likely suspect in the Parts Book diagram.

You must be registered for see images

Right Rear Suspension, Rear View

Right Rear Suspension, Front View

Right Rear Suspension, Frame Attachments

There is time scheduled for the shop's Swedish frame alignment machine to verify that the frame is still perfectly straight. My insurance company USAA (Excellent!) has agreed to replace all the right-rear suspension components in case any were damaged:

ARM, Control Upper 4643662
ARM, Lower Control 4642660
KNUCKLE Assy, Rear 4643118
LINK, Rear 4643911

Unfortunately, the local Dodge dealer tells us that only the "Link, Rear" is still available from them new. The other suspension parts are "Not Serviced". Chuck Tator (Thanks Wizard!) advises me that this means I need to find the other parts used. How do I do that?

a. Does anyone have these parts, or know of a source?
b. Where does the Viper rear suspension bend when hit from the rear quarter?
c. Is it a good idea to replace all these suspension parts, even if there is no obvious damage?
d. If I can't find replacements, is there someone who can precisely measure suspension parts, and straighten if necessary? Is this be done routinely on the frame alignent machine?
e. Can Gen II suspension parts be retrofitted to Gen I (longshot here)?

Because of some rubbing damage, USAA will also replace both right wheel hubs. Hmmm - that's half the wheels... Has anyone upgraded their Gen I from 17" to 18" hubs? I seem to be half way there if it is desirable. ??? Do they fit? Is the speedometer inaccurate? Bothersome? Is there more ground clearance? Too much?

Lots of questions from San Diego. All help and opinions are appreciated. Good job Sooners! Go Trojans!

Curt

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like you better call JonB at PartsRack!! If the Wizard can't get new parts based on availability, JonB should have em used...

Tomer

OP
OP
Flyng Low

Flyng Low

VCA Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tomer,
Called JonB at PartRack 360 837-3974 and he has the upper and lower control arms that I need used. He also has a BBS 18" Hubs and Pilot MXX3 Tires combo set that is very tempting... Hmmm?
Curt

picflight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Coming from the Corvette world I encountered many that wanted to replace all parts with the original equipment and specifications, like I did, however, an unfortunate incident like yours is also an opportunity to upgrade to what you want.

Keep in mind though that when you upgrade part of the systems the other parts of the same system have to work together and have to keep the same tolerances.

my2cents

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missjazzyfitness