NEED HELP -- CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The check engine light just came on in my GTS. How do I do a quick diagnostic to see what it might be?

The car only has 6k miles. Power seems fine. Nothing abnormal that I can tell is happening. Gas cap is tight.

Thanks in advance.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cycle the key on-off four or five times and wait. The light will start to blink. Watch carefully and count the the blinks. It will be a two digit code. As an example two quick blinks, a pause and one blink equals 21, a O2 sensor malfunction.

Watch closely because there may be more than one code. When all codes are displayed there will be 5/5 blinks, this is end of service codes.

If the malfunction is temporary the computer will look at three internally programmed engine cycles. If it does not see the problem it will turn off the light. The exception is a fuel system problem. The three check cycles must happen at the same load and rpm as the original problem, if those do not randomly happen the light might not be cleared quickly even if the problem was corrected.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After you cycle the key, the individual warning lights will go off and the service engine light will remain on and start the blink sequence

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The key cycling does not work on your year. You're going to have to have Mike C. download the codes. Try tightening your gas cap and then see if the light goes away after a few drives.

OP
OP
V

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks.

I called Mike yesterday and will bring it in on Tuesday to see what the issue is.

He did say that if the light isn't blinking that it is ok to drive, so I'm less worried now. If it is blinking it is something more serious.