need help from some real viper techs

myfirstviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 06 coupe with a DLM S/C package. minus 2 cats the rest of the engine and exhaust are stock.

my question is do you think spending the extra 3k to go with belanger headers would really be worth it. i like the way it sounds now and if it was louder that would be fine too. my main thing to try an accomplish is more hp and of course to eliminate heat from the cabin. would there really be a noticable difference with the belanger headers?

do you guys that have any experience with headers and a s/c think that it is worth it to upgrade the stock system. thanks for your replies.

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think its a total waste of money. I had a dlm setup (best ever blower) and the problem was not more hp it was traction. That that money and do 2 things.

1 get rid of the 1 set of cats and get sims from roe racing

2 buy your self a set of 18's rims with bfg drag radial and a rear e brake relocate kit.

this way you will truly be able to use your dlm power.

vd..

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have to agree with 2 exceptions.
1. I would not get chech with your states emissions laws before removong your cats. You could go to a random cat setup that is 3" with metalic substrate that is made for a blown car.
2. I would chane out the mufflers and exhaust pipe to 3" so if was more free flowing. This would get rid of the heat that builds up. By wrapping the exhaust you will creat a better scavenging exhaust system, better sound, and a better running engine.

These mods would cost you $2379.95 fom us and you car would sound like a F! exhaust!

http://www.members.aol.com/AtroRacingTeam/PRODUCTS/AtRoRacingsProductCatalog

Robbie

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You asked: "my question is do you think spending the extra 3k to go with belanger headers would really be worth it." It is not that simple. If you go to the Paxton web site and look at the FAQ section, you will see that it discusses the addition of headers with a warning that the change in backpressure caused by the addition of headers can cause lean conditions under certain circumstances. Thus, if you go with headers, you would need to have the engine tuned again to insure safe operation. With respect to the sound issue, only you can decide. Sound level is a subjective issue. It will be considerably louder. As to increased heat in the engine compartment from the headers, I believe that there are heat shields available.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I was looking to reduce heat from the cabin, don't think headers is the way to go. The stock exhaust system is not bad at all.

I would consider installing a Corsa Track exhaust. Keep your cats, or upgrade to Random high flows. On the Paxton setups the Corsa track can gain +/- 40 hp.

Taking out cats altogether can result in really smelly rotten egg exhaust, lots of noise and extra pollution.

Are you able to hook up the power you have now?

rleminv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree. I have the Paxton, Corsa track exhaust and Random high flows with the stock exhaust manifold. With the appropriate tune considering Air/Fuel ratios, it did around 690rwhp.

Now the real bonus, at least for my wife. Side sills never have reached more than luke warm and getting in and out with shorts, using my hands sometimes 'cause I'm an old guy there is no burning. Feels cooler than if under direct sunlight to the touch. With the top and windows up, cabin stays cool until a/c needed, similar to any other cabin.

I don't quite understand why it could be better to wrap and insulate against the heat buildup, but I'm no tech and there are probably valid reasons for doing it either way. :)

Regarding the traction issues, Bobpantax and Viper D are right on the money. Enjoy and have fun, you don't need to wring out all possible horsepower, you need to hook up first. :2tu:
Larry

OP
OP
M

myfirstviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry i forgot to post this part... but i have no problem at all with traction. i went down to an 18inch rim with toyo ra1 tires and it hooks excelent. once the tires are a little warm about 10 minutes in the area where i live i can nail it in first at 3rpm and go thru all the gears at wot with no slipping.

so i am using all the power with no problem with tires.

i dont need the car to be any louder, (though i wouldnt mind if it was)

i already have 2 cats out and dont smell anything bad or have any problems.

i was just wondering if i went to headers would it give me more power.

yes bobpantax i did read where it said it could mess with leaning out, and that is a concern i have. but that can be corrected with proper tuning right?

i guess i was wanting something that would give me a little extra hp without compromise, since i'm already hooking the car up thru all the gears. and was just wondering if headers would make a good difference.

thanks for the feedback guys.

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had stock headers & Corsa and switched to Balengers. They are a lot louder. I love it. More power?? Has to give some, just not sure how much. Is it worth the $$, if all you are looking for is a few more HP, considering that you have a SC already, I would say not. I switched when I did a major upgrade, more boost, bigger injectors, new cam, head work. It's easy to add fuel with the Split-Sec computer (assuming that's what you have). Choices, choices

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you have no problem with traction then something sounds wrong. I have dr's and could not hook.

how much rear wheel hp are you putting down?

vd..