Need help in bleeding clutch fluid...

Alternative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I'll be replacing the brake fluid, I might as well replace the clutch fluid as well on my '99 Viper GTS/ACR. Is this a pretty simple procedure, or should I leave it to the pro's? Also, I can't seem to find the bleeder valve for the clutch fluid.

I'll be manually bleeding the system, since I don't have a pressure bleeder.

Thanks!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a whole procedure for flushing clutch fluid completely but most people just **** the fluid out of the reservoir and refill.

OP
OP
Alternative

Alternative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck - do you have the complete procedure? I'd like to completely flush the system since the fluid is really dirty. Also, if you just **** out the old fluid from the reservoir, wouldn't air get in the system?

Anyone know where the bleeder valve is?

DChan415

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bleeder valve is a 8mm nut right above the clutch hudraulic hose going into the bell housing on the left side of the tranny. The nut goes about 3 inches into the bell housing and threads into the slave cylinder. When I flushed my clutch, it took a looooong time to get all the air out. Even with a vacuum bleeder.

OP
OP
Alternative

Alternative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you all for the info.

There's a rubber part attached to the cap, and I wonder if it can be removed. I did some search and read that it reacts to the fluid, that's why the fluid gets black in color in a short period of time. And you can't just buy the cap, or the rubber piece. The clutch fluid in the reservoir is a lot dirtier than the brake fluid, and yet they use the same type of fluid.

Dixter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alan, Don't be too suprised if the fluid looks dark about 1 hour after you change it. The cap has a black rubber pressure bladder that gives off a black residue.

Later

ntmatter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Typically, I'll just turkey-baster it out, then wait. You'll see a little tornado of the lighter dirty fluid drift up in the clutch reservoir - let this go on a while then **** the fluid out again. Repeat once or twice more, until the fluid stays clean.